Home General Training Discussions

Help with purchasing a new Smart Trainer

I’ve been using a Kickr Snap for 3 years and really enjoy the thing. And I love riding the trainer/Zwift. I put in 4,000 miles on Zwift last year vs 1,000 outside. And all the outdoor miles were in 2.5 months leading into IMMD. So as you can see, I’m a trainer dog. 

So here is the situation. My wife and one of my sons have been riding Zwift on a dumb trainer with Wahoo speed and cadence sensors utilizing Z-Power. After much trying, I finally convinced them to start using the Snap. And now they won’t get off it. As you can imagine, swapping bikes around every time someone is going to ride Zwift is a pain in the butt. And trust me, I’m the one doing it, not them. And I don’t really want them touching my bikes anyway.  So I believe the time has come for a new trainer for me and let them share the Snap. So I have narrowed it down to two options. Help me decide.

Kickr Core vs Saris H3. 

Things that may influence which way I should go. 90% of my Zwift riding is EN workouts in ERG mode. Very little racing if any, occasional group ride, and mixed in ‘free ride’ from time to time without structure.   I rotate 3 tri bikes on the trainer (Felt B14 does 80% of the riding, Cervelo P5 Six and Premier Tactical get the other 20% of trainer time).  For my outside riding, the B14 never sees the road. The P5 gets the bulk of road riding, and the premier is race day bike that gets in some closer to race day riding to make sure everything is proper.  In my mind, with a price difference of $100 between em, its really a coin toss. Thoughts? Or just get another Snap because I am familiar with it, has served me well, and the savings can be put toward other things?

And now for the spoiler, wrinkle in all of it. Though a long shot because I’m cheap. Kickr Bike vs Watt Bike as they both have really gained my attention and I could be swayed, especially to the Kickr Bike if REI lets one use the 20% coupon coming up soon as they do on trainers.

Thanks team! Appreciate your input.

Comments