Home General Training Discussions
Options

Garmin 500 v. Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Hello Team,

I finally invested in some P1s power pedals and realized I don't have a bike computer for when the weather turns nice. Been riding on a computrainer/trainerroad for some time and can't wait to take power to outdoor riding. 

Looking over options and past past threads it seems the Garmin 500 is a favorite that currently sells around $260. However I've see the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt is a newer model that also retails for the same ballpark price. 
(I'd rather not spend much more if it's not needed)

Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on either of these computers? Or perhaps am I missing another option altogether?

The Garmin 920xt costs around the same price as well but would that give me all the bike metrics as the standalone bike computer? 

Thanks for any advice!

Steve
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I've had a lot of bike computers over the years :). I typically collect bike data wth both my 920XT and a bike computer.  It's easier for me to run everything (swim/bike/run) through the 920XT because it's super easy to sync everything.  Do a workout, walk into the house, upload via wifi and all the data goes to Garmin Connect, Strava, Styrd, Training Peaks and WKO.

The bad news is that the watch is very hard to read on the bike.  It collects all the same data as a Garmin 500/510/800 or Wahoo Elemnt/Bolt. I use the bike computer for easy visibility and watching key metrics.  With two computers, if one fails, I still get data.  For computers, I've had the 500, 510 and 800.  I currently use the Wahoo Elemnt - it controls my Wahoo Kickr.  The Bolt is advertised as super aero, but if you look at the details, it claims to save 1.5 watts, which is just noise.

All the computers will display almost all the same data, so to me, it's all about the look and feel.  Can you see the screen as you are riding?  How easy is it to switch screens on a moving bike?  I personally like the bigger screens, probably because I'm old :).  I bought the Garmin 800 because it had gps mapping.  I never liked the mapping product, but I liked the bigger screen versus the 500 series.  I love my Elemnt.  It's a little big and bulky, but it's really easy to get around and it has a really cool screen data feature.  You can put (I think) up to 10 data points on every screen.  You can zoom in or out with the click of a button.  As you zoom in, it drops the bottom line and increases the font size of the remaining data points.  If you keep zooming in, you are left with one piece of data.  I usually leave it at 3-4 lines and zoom out to get data I want once in a while (like ride time). I also set up one screen with good to know stuff I rarely look at like battery life, temperature, elevation gain etc.  

I haven't seen the Bolt up close but it appears to be very similar to the Elemnt.

My thoughts would be to go into a bike shop and look at the various screens for size and ease of use to see.

I think all Garmins work similarly with regards to navigation and screen set up.  For most people, set up is a one-time thing to quickly forget about and then you are good to go. My wife finds Garmin completely un-intuitive to get around.  I've had them for 10+ years and think nothing of it.
  • Options
    920xt for swim and run.
    510 for bike.
  • Options
    Great points about the visibility. I am used to using a small CatEye computer to measure speed/cadence/time, so any of these computers look massively huge to me.

Although, now I am considering getting a 920xt for an all around swim bike run computer. If/when i feel like spending more $ I could then get a bike specific computer.  My 310xt gave out earlier in the year so I've been running with an apple watch. Not my favorite, but it works for the run.

For some reason I was under the impression that I would get more data from a computer v a watch. But apparently not. Also the maps aren't a big decision factor for me.

Haven't pulled the trigger just yet, but it seems the 920xt would tide me over and then some.

Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    The 920XT has just been discontinued so there are some great deals on it out there now.  It's being replaced by the 735XT and Phoenix3.  Think of the 735XT as 920XT lite and the Phoenix3 as the 920XT heavy:)

Get a bike mount for the 920XT so it's easier to see.  It's hard to manage power from your wrist.
  • Options
    If your budget is $250, then get a used Garmin Fenix or Garmin 920XT on eBay.  The battery life on the 735 leaves a lot to be desired.   
  • Options
    BTW the Element Bolt is awesome too.  Especially now that it does not depend on your iPhone for GPS
  • Options
    Anyone have any updated feedback on their Wahoo Element Bolt?  I have a much older Edge500, but looking to upgrade.  Bolt looks like it checks all my boxes.  Thanks.
  • Options
    @Jeff Horn I don't have anything to compare it to, as the element Bolt was my first true bike computer but I absolutely love it. I've had it a little over a year and have no problems. GPS works great and it's very straight forward to configure using your phone.
  • Options
    Thanks @Stephen Cogger I have been garmin fanboy but probably gonna branch out.  
  • Options

Which Wahoo Element Bike Computer do I want?

My tried and true Garmin 520 now dies after 5hrs.

List of must haves.

Long battery life.

Ease of use.

Easy Navigation.

Smaller is better but must have easy to see screen.

• Options

I still use the Garmin Edge 500 and am also considering upgrading. I've read the Garmin 530 is a nice comparison to the Wahoo Element Bolt.

@tim cronk why are you thinking of getting away from Garmin?

• Options

@Jeff Phillips my 520 battery wont last long enough, its been pretty solid up till now, I had more trouble with the old 500, but reading up on wahoo they seem to be a lot more user friendly, specially in the navigation department, I've given enough money to Garmin over the years. Bit the bullet today and order an Element and Tickr X HR strap.

• Options

I use the Garmin 820 on my bike and love the GPS turn by turn instructions for files that you can download into it. I do it on group rides or in places that I'm not completely familiar with to stay on track with turns. I used this feature at one of the EN camps and it kept me on track with where we were going. I use the Garmin 935 for everything else. Visibility is key. With the computer it's easy to see in aero, not so much if you have to turn your wrist to look at it. I don't trust the watch mount for the bike.

• Options

Nice @tim cronk I hope you like it. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts as I feel like Garmin has it hooks in me pretty deep.