Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS 2020 Run - Week 7

We are heading into the final week of the first half of the JOS! Hard to believe, and time has flown by quickly. As your run leader I feel a bit down that I had a small period of cold induced run jail, but I am back now and feeling ready to get back on track with all my teammates! I remain inspired by the consistent work of our team, and know the next 8 weeks we will all rock the run as our incremental gains in the first half of the JOS will turn into exponential gains in the second half of JOS ...

Run Focus

• frequency target is 5/5/6 this week (LV1/2/3)
  • Wednesday is intervals with L1: 1 x 1 mile (4'), 2 x 1/2 mile (4') @ Zone 4. L2: 2 x 1 mile (4') @ Zone 4, and L3: 2 x 1 mile (4'), 2 x 1/2 mile (4') @ Zone 4
  • Weekend: you run both Sat and Sun, with Sat @ - 1:30 on the long run, and Sun @ - 45 post the C&C ride or 2:30 ride

Bike Focus:

• Frequency target is 4/5/6 this week (LV1/2/3)
  • Wednesday is intervals with L1: 1 x 1 mile (4'), 2 x 1/2 mile (4') @ Zone 4. L2: 2 x 1 mile (4') @ Zone 4, and L3: 2 x 1 mile (4'), 2 x 1/2 mile (4') @ Zone 4
  • Weekend: You run after the bike for 65-85 mins on Sunday

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Back on the run again this week. I know from experience that these down weeks pay dividends in the future particularly with staving off over use injuries.

35' today in a split run to and from my car. 3X20" strides nothing flashy.

Good to be back running. I may temper the speed work a little this week as well as trying to ensure no 3 in a row running days.

• Options

Ran yesterday morning and this morning on the beach at sunrise. Man I hate to go home today. Did a progressive run yesterday. Felt really good. I had moved the FTP run to today but was not really feeling it this morning. I had decided to just get started and see how things felt and would probably just do a short TRP run. Well by one mile I felt pretty good. Did 1x1 mile, 3 x 1/2 mile at Z4 with 4' TRP in between intervals. Ended up running 6.3 this morning and got a 2nd fastest all time 10K. Walked to cool down and then walked in the ocean for a little bit. A little cold but sure felt good.

• Options

Easy 35 minutes off the bike today, ran to TRP HR. Three, 20" intervals towards the back of the workout. Trying to keep the consistency and volume up. Averaging about 23 miles per week in the OS so far.

• Options

Well done and congrats @Bill Eckert - warm weather always keeps us motivated, and to that i turn to @Jeff Phillips who is so consistent in the cold during JOS. Great work!

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak While a don’t enjoy down weeks, with the intensity of OS, I notice the benefit immediately upon return.

@Bill Eckert I love those TP medals... the all-time best are hard to come by!

@Daniel Ballin glad to have you back adding to the JOS run miles. Agree that @Jeff Phillips has got the Run Durability thing down... I’ve got a couple half marathons in April that will serve as “long run parties” so its time for me to leave the 18mpw club.

Daylight savings starts in just over two weeks, I find that helps my run consistency and volume a great deal. I am going to slide closer to run focused for the back half of JOS. My bike numbers are pretty good right now and need to focus on my weakness. 6 runs this week and a 30-day streak starting with daylight savings?

• Options

@Daniel Ballin welcome back and love the picture!

@Bill Eckert strong peak performances, looks like work is going on!

@John Culberson - 6 runs this week - day by day and listen to your body as you work through it.

4X1s this morning in Watopia on TM @ 1% grade......

• Options

Thanks for the positive vibes all, it helps in the mornings getting the work done.

Today's run was challenging, but I got it completed. All four intervals were done 6:50-7:00 min/ mile, but it was a struggle. 6.9 miles total

• Options

After being sick all weekend, and having an ok bike and short brick run yesterday, thought I'd be ok to get back at it today. Threshold run turned into a three mile ZN 1 to TRP run. Still got the blood and sweat flowing!

• Options

Got in 40' on the treadmill at the hotel gym early Wednesday morning. 1 mile zn3+ and realized just how out of wack my gym treadmill is. It's all good as I'm working HR and power on the side.

Today getting 30' TRP in and shifting the bike to tomorrow.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2020 11:44AM

@Shaughn Simmons Yep... a couple 1.5mi, a few 3.0mi, and a longer run on a hotel treadmill = 6 runs for me this week. “Nothin’ fancy” works!

@Gordon Cherwoniak @Jeff Horn Thanks for reminding me that the treadmill is an essential tool in the JOS kit.

@Mark Lane Been there. Stay patient... at JOS week 7, you’ve got the fitness in your muscles. You’ll be back to speed quickly.

• Options

@John Culberson Thanks, patience isn't exactly my specialty.

Travelling this weekend so I got in a 60' TRP run in yesterday. Feeling better every day.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2020 4:23AM

Weekly report.

I apologize for not being more active on the forums. Work has been more hectic than usual the last couple of weeks. I submitted my retirement letter this week and now I have a very hard due date in May. You might think that would make things easier, but there's a few things I want to get done before then and it's been keeping me busy.

Susan and I did a gravel bike ride on Monday so I did a short walk/run on Tuesday. I walked a minute and ran a minute. 2.41 miles at an average pace of 11:39. Everything felt good, if a little rusty.

I realized that I hadn't had a full day off in several weeks so I took Wednesday off completely except for walking the dog.

I ran again on Friday and this time I did 2 minutes running and 1 walking. 2.91 miles at a 10:30 average pace. Things felt good and a little easier than Tuesday. I also rode my bike to work on Thursday and Friday. Keeping in mind what @Daniel Ballin said about hills I stayed close to home where it's relatively flat.

It's supposed to be stormy here tomorrow so I opted to run again today and put off the bike until tomorrow. I ran around the lake with the same 2:1 run:walk ratio as yesterday. Ended up with 5.26 miles at a 10:08 pace. The hardest part about the run was watching the time and being disciplined enough to take the 1 minute walk breaks. Legs felt good but they were starting to complain a little towards the end. Nevertheless, I did a 4 minute interval at the end and it felt good. Most of the time I was running my pace was at my TRP or a little faster. All in all I'm pleased with the way the week has gone on the run front.

Have a good long run day tomorrow.

• Options

I bailed completely on Sunday. I had rising fatigue levels last week and RPE was higher than normal for the bikes and runs, etc. I slept 9-hours Friday, 12-hours Saturday night, and 9-hours last night.

I'm going to do a 60-min pilates session tonight and get back to bike and run starting tomorrow.