Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS 2020 Run Thread Week 10 - Test Week!

Hey team my apologies for posting this weekly update so late. No excuses but I am a hospital CEO and the COVID 19 outbreak is consuming most of my time. Good news is that our propensity for exercise and health keeps us protected to a degree so wash your hands and stay healthy!

If your following the plans this week is test week! If you cannot recall how to perform the run test, or want a quick refresher follow this link:

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/MyZones/RunTest.aspx

The rest of the week should look like this for the run and bike focused plans.

Run Focus

• 5/5/6 are the number to remember for the # of times to run this week
  • Intensity: 5k test
  • Weekend: you run both Sat and Sun, with Sat @ - 1:30 on the long run with z3 work and Sun @ - 45 post the C&C ride

Bike Focus:

• 5/6/6 are the numbers to remember for # of times to run this week (note: lv2s this is an extra one for you)
  • Intensity: 5k test
  • Weekend: You run after the bike for 75-95 mins on Sunday so up 5 mins for everyone

Good luck with the test and keep up the great work team! So exciting to follow the weekly progress in here.

Comments

• Options

Thank you @Daniel Ballin for leading and taking the time to get this done.

• Options

Thanks @Daniel Ballin Take care of yourself. I won't be testing this week, but I hope to get to a 4:1 run:walk ratio.

I had surgery on my nose today to have a basal skin cancer removed so the surgeon said no intensity for a coupe of days. Turns out he's a triathlete and registered for IM Canada this year. So we got to talk shop while he was cutting on me. That was interesting.

• Options

Thanks for being dedicated followers of both the bike and run threads @Bill Eckert @Mark Maurer Keep it UP!

• Options

Although we now have great running weather in MA, I did the run test on a treadmill to compare to the test I did last time. I started using Stryd in Jan so rather than stopping at 5k, I ran for 20 minutes in each test, figuring that mimicked a bike ftp test. Although I prefer running outside, I like the very controlled conditions as a way to see if I've made any improvements.

I ran slightly faster this time. Avg watts went up from 355 to 361 while average HR dropped from 177 to 175. Stryd detected a Critical Power increase from 348 to 353. Modest power gains, but I'll take them, particularly at a lower HR.

Combined with the bike test yesterday, this one took a lot out of me. Coach P advised cutting back on the mileage a bit (and having a significantly reduced mileage week once in a while), so I'm planning on lower running volume for the rest of the week.

Thanks for keeping the running threads flowing @Daniel Ballin. I haven't chimed in much, but have consistently followed them. I'm trying to get more regularly involved in both OS threads now that we are in the home stretch!

• Options

Nice work @Mark McCombe increasing power while decreasing HR is the name of the game - for both the run and the bike.

• Options

@Mark McCombe 👍️

Decided not to do the run test this round. Knee is pretty much healed up. Don't want to put too much stress on things and mess it up. I can do some short intervals now but trying to sustain a faster pace for an extended time may cause problems. Just going to try to stay consistent and keep working on durability.

• Options

@Daniel Ballin : I appreciate your saying in contact during what I know are stressful and time-consuming times. I’m fighting the good fight in Texas. It’s like a marathon, there is always a finish line, but sometimes your mind tries to convince you otherwise.

@Mark McCombe Some of the best news of JOS! Recovery from an injury requires patience... always harder for me than a hard track session! Stay smart.

@Mark McCombe A 6w gain with a 2bpm HR drop = perfect progress toward the JOS goal. I love running with power... and hate treadmills. From my experience, your numbers will likely move up outside. Great plan to back down for a week, there are still 4 weeks to go.

I’ve been slowly (one of my least-favorite words) increasing my weekly miles in Run Durability. I decided to drop my April Half Marathon (it will likely be cancelled anyway) and take a lower frequency/volume week while still building my long run to 9mi. I’m having a very successful bike focus... but remember, there are still 4 weeks left in JOS.

• Options

Note to self: At age 60, do not assume that you can follow a very hard Friday night bike with a swim and a long run on Sat am. I included some hills and pulled the plug at 6mi... added the final 3 this afternoon. Overall, a steady week highlighted with a couple of very hard, fun Tour de Zwift rides. Hold the line EN.

• Options

@John Culberson The morning workouts following a hard evening never seem to feel good 😀

I went out for a sunny, but chilly, 95 min at TRP this afternoon. Got 11.3 miles in and pushed the next to last mile into Z3 for a bit.

23.4 miles for the week.

• Options

Got outside this afternoon and ran for 90 minutes logging 9.4 miles at a 9:35 pace. Did a 4:1 run:walk regime. There were lots of families out walking and biking since it's one of the few things folks can do and maintain social distancing. I saw a group of people walking 2 goats! They were pretty fat and cute. 😊

The governor just issued an order closing all bars, restaurants, entertainment and recreational facilities. I'm going to be working from home starting tomorrow. Seeing how I'm retiring in 9 weeks I may be teleworking for the rest of my career.

Take care and stay safe. Get outside when you can and enjoy the fresh air.