Home General Training Discussions
Options

Swimming without water thread

Ok- I’ll get it out of the way and say you Vasa owners @Coach Patrick @robin sarner were right and have been right all along and will win the coveted “first out the water” prime in the 10 tris that remain on the 2020 worldwide calendar.

for the rest of us, how should we train for the swim while pools are on lockdown? open water in Ontario will involve me breaking through ice for the foreseeable future.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

you probably have swim cords ? Using a bench you could simulate the Vasa experience. Do intensity and intervals per time to replace that done in pool.

• Options

@robin sarner could you point us to some videos or documentation?

• Options

Swim cords are a fine suggestion, but what about the aerobic piece? Can/should the scheduled swim training be replaced with an easy bike or run? A light strength session? It seems like reverting back to an OS mindset may be appropriate (intensity, no swimming, and picking up 'easy' run frequency for durability). Thankfully I'm training for a HIM which is easier to manage over the key IM workouts and volume needed.

• Options

@Janyne Kizer

I would look at the Vasa website. And look at the Trainer pictures and exercises. (not the Ergometer).

And try to simulate that setup.

• Options

@Janyne Kizer here is an EN page on outseason swim and core work. At the bottom is coach rich video demonstration of his recommended swim cord technique.

im also thinking people could get elastic bands and put them around their feet and around a pull up bar to do pull ups (if they cannot do many body weight pull ups). I need to get these so I can warm up. My strength to body weight ratio is such that doing body weight pull ups risks injury without a really thorough warm up (and assisted pull ups is my preferred warm up).

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=OutSeason+Core+and+Swim+Preparation+Routine