Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Tony Puckett Official Coach Thread

edited January 16, 2018 4:05PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Fall 2017 (October - December): Running 5-6 days per week, 25-30 miles per week. Got on the trainer the week before Christmas, also. Core/kettle bell/elastic straps workout 2-3 times per week. Just bought a TRX suspension trainer. 

Your Races

- 05/20/2018 70.3

- 06/02/2018 Route 66 Olympic 

- Redman Full Distance on 9-22-18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/10/2018
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 3/12/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 05/20/2018
  • On 5/21/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/3/2018
  • On 6/4/2018 Load the Bike Focus Plan to end on 7/15/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 7/2/2018 Load the EN*Full Plan to end on 9/23/2018
  • On 9/24/2018 Load the -- Post Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/7/2018

Coach Notes

Tony, sounds like you are crushing it right now...I love the TRX trainer for sure. I hope you are digging it too. Doesn't have to be a killer session; it's the frequency that really makes difference!

I have you jumping into the January OutSeason Plan (no early testing so no worries) and I'd like you to choose the Run Focus plan so we can keep up the good work you have started on the run. That will let us build up the bike without losing the run...so consistent running, not flashy!

You'll exit the OS early into the

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Coach: Thanks for the season plan. One more race to add - Redman Full Distance on 9-22-18.  It will be my first full Ironman distance race.  Redman is hosting the USAT Ultra Distance Triathlon National Championships also. First goal: Finish.  Second goal: Qualify for the ITU Ultra Distance Championship in Spain in 2019.  My race history includes seven half IM's and one "3/4 IM" distance at an ITU long distance race in Oklahoma City two years ago (2.4 mile swim, 75 mile bike, 19 mile run). Total time at the 2016 ITU race was 10:32.  Tony
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2018 4:36PM
    @Tony Puckett

Got it! Your plan is updated, and I added some Bike Focus weeks in there post the half to get your legs back up to speed and doing the work required before pivoting into the EN*Full Plan!!!
  • Options
    Coach: One question on the EN Full Plan - which plan - beginner or intermediate? This is my first full. I have done 8 70.3 races and one ITU Long Course raise which was about 95 miles total. Thanks. Tony
  • Options
    Tony, let’s go with the intermediate level please. Remember, the 2018 plans have all the levels in the same plan, so you just follow the guidance for that level as you go.
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman Tulsa (2020-05-31) #IMTulsa_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•  Last updated by Coach on October 30, 2019
    • On 10/7/2019  Load the    Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/3/2019
    • On 11/4/2019  Load the    Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/1/2019
    • On 12/2/2019  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  3/8/2020
    • On 3/9/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on  5/31/2020
    • On 3/9/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  4/5/2020

Your Notes

Currently on a run durability with extra core plan, only swimming 1-2 time per week and riding 1-2 times per week till the Out Season plan in December.

2019 - Redman 70.3, Nashville Rock-n-Roll Marathon

2018 - IM Chattanooga 70.3, Redman 140.6

2017 - IM Lubbock 70.3, Redman 70.3

2016 - IM Chattanooga 70.3, ITU World Championship Ultra Distance (94 miles approx.)

2015 - Legends Kansas 70.3, Redman 70.3

2014 - Redman 70.3 and two Olympic distance races

Pre-2014 - several sprints and Oly races

Run 20 miles per week, swim 1-2 times per week at 1,800 yards per session, ride 1-2 times per week 25-50 miles

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Patrick: Thanks for the video message and the season plan through IM Tulsa. This is my first full distance IM race. Looking forward to it! Tony

• Options

Coach: I have moved into the 12-week IM training plan for the Tulsa IM the last weekend in May. Did both the run and bike tests today due to my schedule this week. On the run, had a 40 Vdot - best run test since 2016. On the bike, I am using new Vector pedals and this was my first real power test on the bike. On the 20-minute test has 189 watts for normalized power. On the 5-minute test, the normalized power was 214 watts. Wanted to let you know I am training, and record these tests in my coaching forum for future reference. Tony

• Options

@Tony Puckett hold vDOT Gainz! 💪That's epic...you should be super proud that's no small feat!

And kudos on the new powermeter. What is the head unit / main computer you use with that?

~ Coach P

• Options

Edge 1030. To go with the Vector 3 pedals.

• Options

@Tony Puckett that's totally a boss set up! In case you haven't done so already, set the watts to be a 3-second rolling average on the screen (This will make it less bouncy).

~ Coach P