Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

2020 USAT Nationals ....Anyone? (If not canceled)

Maybe a Thread start for those going ...

I have done USAT NATS 4 x and this will be Milwaukee #2

Whos going ? Any training ideas? etc

I'm doing IM 70.3 AZ after in OCT BTW

Comments

• Options

Hmmm...thanks for the bump on this. I had not planned on going, as my son was holding a summer garden party to celebreagte his marriage on that date. I think they are canceling (the party, not the marriage). If I'm free (and it happens), I'll be there. Went to Milwaukee in '14, I think. Also Portland in 09 or so, Omaha once, and Cleveland last year. Those races are fun - bigger than an Ironman, with a bigger podium, up to #10. It would be a good warm-up for the ITU Olympic worlds in Edmonton end of the month...

• Options

Liked Milwaukie more than Omaha or Cleveland - Cleveland was "OK" but we had a lot of fun exploring the sights and food and beer of Milwaukie so glad to go back.ย ย  Would be Kool if there waz a EN group.ย 

It unfortunate there isn't any real Short course or ITU/Draft legal or Super liege presence here on EN.

I'm looking FWD to hear about your ITU race (etc)

• Options

@David Howard I think many ENers do shorter races. But there's such a cachet about IM (and HIM to a lesser extent), that reporting on anything less than 4.5 hour efforts is seen as no better than talking about a typical training day.

While I've done umpteen IMs, and enjoyed many of them, I really enjoy the feeling of speed and power I get when I turn on the jets the latter half of an Olympic run. Personally, I respect speed and strength at least as much as endurance. Those who don't respect short course might find that doing a few Olympics before an IM would improve their long-course race performance. Maybe they're just afraid of truly hard work?

Also, the USAT and ITU races have the same feel as IMs, being multi-day endevours, with massive crowds and hype. But you can go back to work on Monday without your legs feeling trashed for a week.