Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

STR & SPD Pace

I need to calculate my STR and SPD pace for my HIM training. But I don't have a good Half Marathon pace that's really reflective of what I can run.

Any recommendations for what numbers to use???

Comments

• Options

Do you have WKO4?

if not, do you have a stand-alone 10 km (or longer preferably), or a half marathon that you think represents your fitness/ability?

• Options

@Peter Greagg (Embarrassed) I have no idea what a WKO4 is... but I'm sure it's something obvious that I will feel silly about later.

I do have a stand-alone 10km that is indicative of my pace/ability. My last half marathon was at a HIM last fall, and was not relevant due to insane conditions (heat) and lack of experience. I could use a 13.1 workout that I did last fall. My fitness is still about the same.

• Options

@Peter Greagg I'm just spit balling here, but why not just do a 10km time trial and use that to input your number in FS?

• Options

@Brenda Ross

We could do that, although some peeps have trouble performing a test at 10 km or longer that is indicative of their fitness.

@Rob Tune

Please post both examples and we will workshop your paces from them.

• Options

@Peter Greagg here you go!

Half Marathon (Done as a workout, outdoors, last September just before my HIM): 8:23 pace

10K (Done as a Test at the end of OS this year): 7:11 pace

• Options

@Rob Tune

There is quite a spread between your 10 km time and the half marathon implied paces.

Based on your 10 km time, your two paces are 7:43 (4:48 per km), and 7:07 (4:25 per km).

However, based on your half marathon time, your two paces are 8:25 (5:14), and 7:44 (4:49 per km).

Your options are either swag your paces based on this information, or do a 5 km time trial (or even better, race a 5-10 km).

In terms of a swag, I would start with the fastest paces and see how they feel. They should feel fast and very hard. But, and it is a big but, when you have finished the last interval, you should feel that you could do (at least) one more. If flat-out for the length of the interval is 100%, the interval should be about 90-95%.

What do you think?

• Options

@Peter Greagg thanks so much for helping out here! Totally agree with you that there's a big spread between the two times. Let me try and explain a little. I am nearing my first year with Endurance Nation and in Triathlons alltogether... so the learning curve is definitely there. I am learning where to push, and where not to push. I also went through my first OutSeason this year, and I definitely pushed myself hard.

The 10km run, was about as close to a race as I can have. I was hard-trained after the OutSeason, and I went balls-to-the-wall. BUT, it was indoor on a treadmill, and I think that matters.

The 13.1 pace was done as a workout just before my first HIM. I was trying to train responsibly, and was trying to run at perceived race pace... not all-out.

Since yesterday was my first workout day using the SPD pace, I went ahead and used 7:50 as a starting point. That didn't feel fast enough, and I ended up closer to the 7:20-7:30 range for 12 intervals at 2 minutes each. This leads me to think that my 10km is probably too fast, but a better starting point than my 13.1. Does this make sense?

• Options

@Rob Tune

Sounds like you are around the pace where you need to be. Remember it is supposed to be around 90-95% of what you are capable of while still being able to do another one after you have finished the prescribed workout.

Btw, treadmills are well known for not being accurate in terms of pace etc. So that argues that your 10 km pace wouldn't be an accurate pace to try and transpose to the road or track.

There are a few things that can help with pacing on a treadmill but I would only use one if there wasn't any other alternative.

• Options

๐Ÿค˜

• Options

@Rob Tune

Sorry, I thought I had answered you by saying I agreed with you.