Homeβ€Ί Community Forum 🏠

Coffee Maniacs, Speak Clearly Now!

Ok, we are doing pretty well here in tiny RI. The kids are great and my wife and I have found a way to work from home without driving each other crazy. Thanks to Zwift and all of you, my exercise habit is rolling along. But the one thing I do miss is a great americano from the local coffee shop. So, I have permission to add a device to the countertop (you have no idea how amazing this is) and I am looking for your input.

My criteria:

• Money not that much of a concern, I'll make it back quickly by not going out. 🀣
  • Has to be durable; I have zero interest in a one year machine.
  • No pods please; I personally would have too great an impact on the environment.

What's your machine of choice and why? Thanks Team!

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• edited April 5, 2020 4:05PM

<edit> disregard.

• Honestly, I love my mocha pot. It's not as flashy as machine. But, if you want a good espresso or American, this is the classic way! And it won't take up a ton of space...

Since we're all gear junkies, I'm guessing this is a disappointing recommendation, and I get it. But just sayin... how can millions of Italians be wrong???

Also, @Coach Patrick , do you guys get Cafe Cubano in RI?

• Now you're in my wheelhouse!

If you're looking for a superauto espresso machine, I would highly recommend the Jura Z8. Don't look at the price - it only hurts once. πŸ˜€... but damn, it makes a good cup of coffee. I've been through several superauto machines over the years in search of one that I'm happy with. With other machines I tried the coffee was either too weak (brew group didn't hold enough coffee) or it was too cold. Other inconveniences specific to Americanos were having to pull the espresso shot, then hit a separate button to add the hot water.

The Z8 changed all that. Not only does it make strong, hot coffee but it also has a "one touch Americano" feature where it pulls the shot and then dispenses hot water out of the same nozzle. We've had our Z8 for about a year now, and we had Jura J9 for about 6 years before that and an older Jura before that. We've never had a single problem with any of our Jura machines. (Can't say that for the Saeco we had before that).

If you like milk drinks (latte, etc.) the Z8 is the first machine I've had that has a milk frothing system that isn't a royal PITA to clean. On the J9 the cleaning process was so onerous that we just didn't bother making lattes but on the Z8 it's super simple and quick.

One other thing I'd highly recommend - get an Ember mug. We saw these things in the Apple store once, and laughed at them. Battery-powered coffee mugs?! Riiiiight. The more I thought about it, the more curious I got, until I broke down and bought one. These things are amazing. You set a temp (135 deg. F for an Americano, for me) and it will hold your coffee at that temperature for over an hour. Massive difference in flavor when the coffee is at the right temp.

Hit me up if you want a FaceTime demo. of the Jura.

-John

• @John Katsoudas. You had me dreaming for a second, that machine seems pretty cool. So i went to their website and had a hard attack.. man that is an expensive expresso machine. Probably more expensive than my P3 with eTap and race wheels.. but I would love to get one. Maybe I'll delay the new bike by few years :-)

• Yeah, @Vincent Sivirine I hear you. I tried to warn you about the sticker shock. πŸ˜€

In all honesty, if I had to choose between the espresso maker and a new bike, I'd take the espresso maker in a heartbeat and race my old bike another season - LOL.

• @Coach Patrick Saeco Intelia. Easy to use, easy to clean, great coffee, espresso, lattes, etc.

• edited April 6, 2020 8:52PM

The Jura sounds really cool, but the price.

I'm old school. I use an Aeropress. The best thing is I can throw it in a suitcase and take it anywhere.

• I love coffee from my French press from amazon @Coach Patrick . I got a mr coffee Grinder from the grocery store. The two together make magic. Very inexpensive.

• The Nespresso Vertuoline machines make good espresso and americanos if you like crema. The downside with this machine is the cost of the pods which are about $1 a piece on Amazon. Here is one I use.

Here is an option if you cant justify the Jura. Its $699 and has auto grind but more old school in how you make espressos (it has a grinder and then you tamp) but it would make great espresso and americanos.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CH9QWOU?tag=espressomachinesite-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

• We use a DeLonghi ESAM3300 mostly for Americano. It is on the cheaper side for a superautomatic but has a good reputation for reliability, and ours is going strong after 2+ years. It looks like the 3300 has since been succeeded by the Magnifica 04110.

• edited April 8, 2020 11:54AM

The force is VERY strong in @John Katsoudas

and my edit - do they provide mortgages for those? Holy Shizzles, @Coach Patrick will have to be home bound for 50 years to pay that back!

• LOL! 😊

One final thought from me on this.. find a Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table around you. They usually have a lot of the popular superauto machines set up for demos so you can try them out before making a decision.

• probably a good idea, but that will likely not be an essential service, and thus closed.

• Seattle Coffee Gear has pros/cons and video demos for the machines they sell. I've made a few purchases from them and have been happy with their service.