Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Peter Noyes 2020 Official Coach Thread

Dearest Coach P,

It was fun chatting with you in the zoom meeting about ultra running. As you mentioned perhaps it is time that we talk about my crazy plan of doing a 4 month couch to Ironman(R) followed by a 100 miler 5 weeks later. 

My goals for the Ironman are to a) Not Drown b) Not embarrass myself c) Finish with enough time to enjoy beers with my teammates

My goals for the 100 miler are to a) Not get bit by a snake, b) not get eaten by a bear, c) finish with enough time to enjoy morning beers with my teammates

I have crafted the following plan for myself based on plans you have helped me with in prior years and what has worked for me in the past. 

Here are some highlights

• A 4 week block of just getting back in shape with short interval based bike rides and just plain old running
  • A 4 week block of short hard VO2 like intervals using hills on the run and short races mixed with rides with lots of sprints for the bike
  • A 4 week block of building up a long run using the split run technique, also throwing in a few long slow mountain type runs in alternating weeks (these will involve hiking)
  • A 3 week block of race specificity of race rehearsals, and also throwing in a big run week (60 miles total)
  • A 2 week taper for Le Ironman, but I don’t want to taper too hard because of the back to back races
  • Race Le Ironman
  • A 4 week block of recovering, and doing 100 miler specific training of long slow runs with a peak of a back 2 back run with 70 total miles running that week
  • Race Le 100 miler

I would love your feedback. Thanks Coach!

1/6: Run 20min x4 / Bike: 2x 4x1’, 2x6’

1/13: Run 25min x4 / Bike: 2x 4x2’, 2x8’

1/20: Run 30min x4 / Bike: 2x 4x3’, 2x10’ 

1/27: Run 35min x4 / Bike: 2x 4x4’, 2x12’

(V02 type stuff)

2/3 Run: 5mi, hillz, 2x easy / Bike: races, FFT, 2hr

2/10 Run: 6mi, hillz, 2x easy / Bike: races, FFT, 2.5hr / Vasa 3x 5’ <—— I AM HERE

2/17 Run: 7mi, hillz, 2x easy / Bike: races, FFT, 3hr / Vasa 3x 10’ 

2/24 Run: 8mi, hillz, 2x easy Bike: races, 3hr (Volcano?), FFT / Vasa 3x 15’

(Threshold type stuff, throw in La Tuna which is a 1200’ uphill trail run, also start doing split long runs)

3/2 Run: 6/6 LR, 2x1, La Tuna / Bike: races, FFT, 3.5hr / Vasa 3x 20’

3/9 Run: 8/8 LR, 2x1, La Tuna / Bike: races, FFT, 3.5hr / Vasa 3x 30’

3/16 Run: 18 LR MOUNTAIN, 2x1, / Bike: races, FFT, 5hr / Vasa 3x 40’, start doing some mist type stuff

3/23 Run: 10/10 LR, 2x1, La Tuna / Bike: races, FFT, 3.5hr / Vasa 3x 50’

(Race rehearsals and a big run week)

3/30 (Race Rehearsal week) Run: 18 LR, 2x easy, La Tuna, Bike: FFT, races, 112mi / Vasa 3x 60’ including 3800m

4/6 Run: 20 LR MOUNTAIN , 2x1, 2x easy / Bike 3.5hr, FFT, races / Vasa 3x 60’ (60 miles run week!!!!!)

4/13 (Race Rehearsal week) Run: 18 LR, 2x easy, La Tuna / Bike: FFT, races, 112mi / Vasa 3x 60’ including 3800m

4/20 Run: 13.1 LR fast, 2x1 / Bike whatevs / Vasa whatevs

4/27 (RACE WEEK)

5/4 (3HR hike)

5/11 (4HR run really slow in mountains with hiking)

5/18 (back 2 back LR, 30mi/18mi, also really slow) (70 miles)

5/25 (2HR run)

6/1 (RACE WEEK)

Comments

• Options

Ok I am super proud of what you have built; this is a great plan and really intentional. I am amazed you have time outside of GroupMe to use your brain, must be nice being so young!

My Thoughts:

• I'd like to see a bit more long biking in there. It takes time but it's a great overall aerobic boost. I would recommend dropping RR #1 in week of 3/30 and instead do a challenge ride. Like a 130 mile adventure...7 to 8 hours. Really set that mental bike bar high. Not sure how that fits with The Tuna Project.
    • Week of 4/6, I would suggest you cut the bike down to 4 hours: 2 x 1h and 1 x 2h. You can "warm up" for any run with 20 to 30 mins of easy zwift, but really we want to make room for the run you'll be doing (and associated fatigue).
    • Race Taper...really taper hard that week. Minimal stuff those 5 days leading up to IM.
    • Post IM is 2 days off then easy spinning for 3 days. Plan to hike that weekend for a few hours, Sunday OFF.
    • Rest of time to the 100 miler is okay as you have outlined.

Just curious, will you be able to hit the pool pre IM at any point? Would be a good idea if you can, and smart to make sure wetsuit fits, breathing is good, etc.

Thoughts?

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick ! I planned so hard!

I like your changes and I incorporated them. Yes, I will swim in the actual wet stuff. As I get closer I will try at least 1 day a week of actual swimming and I will make sure my wetsuit situation is good.

• Options

That is perfect. I think your bill is designed really well. The key now is to make sure that your body holds up to it. You are young and an excellent athlete. It's keeping you healthy that is the number one thing. If you can achieve that, I bet you could miss 20% of your training days and still be successful.

• Options

@Peter Noyes how are you feeling after the big weekend? I want to make sure your body is absorbing all of the work from the weekend. Keep me posted!

• Options

Dearest @Coach Patrick ,

I am feeling pretty good. Sunday morning I went out too hard and I just didn't have it in me to do the full ride, but I did set some 2020 power records in the first half of the ride. Yesterday afternoon I got a massage and today I am taking a rest day, but overall feeling good. TSB is -40.

Thanks for checking in!

-Peter

• Options

Dear @Coach Patrick ,

I am readjusting the plan a bit to not do any of the mountain / trail running at this point because I am quarantined and limited to treadmill running. I am now doing more traditional IRONMAN training in preparation for COVID19MAN on May 2nd.

After May 2nd I will evaluate where I am at and then figure out what to do for MOAB 240 which at this point I am still hoping will happen because it is not until October.

I deferred Saint George all the way until IRONMAN California in 2021 which is 18 months from now so I have nothing but Moab 240 to focus on for the remainder of the year.

I think I will spend the summer and fall signing up for ultra races on a whim to prepare for Moab.

I hope you are enjoying your quarantine!

• Options

@Peter Noyes -- all of that sounds like a great plan! There's a couple things I think about as you make this transition.

First, we want to make sure that your hamstrings stay happy. Running on the treadmill I can really put a lot of stress on those hamstrings so make sure that you are stretching them out and warming up adequately before any fast or steep incline work on that treadmill.

Second, even if you were trading almost exclusively indoors, I would like you to spend some time outside each day whenever possible. Bonus is these are nice walks! You need mental health time as much as the athletic work.

How else can I help you get ready for COVIDMAN at this point?

~ Coach P

• Options

Dear @Coach Patrick ,

It's getting close! I did my last long run today which was 2.5 hours for 16 miles. Not quite as long as I would have liked but my hip flexor on the right side is sore when running I didn't want to push it any further. I will do my last long bike this weekend, 4-5 hours.

My CTL is 91 as of today and it should peak at 100 before the event.

My plan for the taper is to try to do many shorter runs to build up a bit of durability and heal the hip before May 2nd. How does that sound?

I have made some new changes to the website https://www.covid19man.com

• Options

This sounds perfect. Really stretch that hip out (Starting tomorrow) and consider 7 way hips before any more runs ( see below). The site looks great brobeans!!!