Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Virginia Edmonds 2020 Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Running Race 04/19/2020 Walt Disney Rival Run half marathon

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/27/2020
  • On 1/27/2020 Load the -- Half Marathon (Balanced) 12 weeks to end on 4/12/2020

Your Notes

Finished a summer tri season of once a month sprints

Did a virtual marathon in NovemberI run 4 times a week and bike 1 to 2 days

Run volume is 20 to 30 miles

Bike volume is 20 to 30 miles

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hi Coach,

Hope you are well. Happy Easter!

It goes without saying that race for this week was cancelled. I went ahead and finished out the plan but now I am looking for my next course of action. I don’t have anything planned for the rest of this year. When life resumes, I would sign up for some sprints for the summer.

i do feel like I want to train like I have a big race. Maybe not a full IM but a half. I think I would like to average 60+ bike miles and up to 45 running miles a week. I look forward to adding the pool back in at some point too. What do you recommend for my training?

I also wanted to share some of my running power numbers. These will be from my last few runs. Starting with today:

Do you need more information for each run?

I don’t really know what to do with the information. I was going to share the values on the running with power forum that is going on now too.

I am going to stick a plan on my calendar just for something to follow.

Thanks!,

virginia

• Options

@Virginia Edmonds -- Nice job completed the program even though there wasn't a race. Looking back over your training for the early part of the season I see a great progression of running volume. Now that we are looking into the regular year I agree that adding more cycling is just the right appropriate challenge.

Some folks want to go deeper on the run, but I think that would be a mistake in your case. With the run developed, it's time to bring up the bike to match what you've built.

Taking a look at your training log, I can see that your weekly run average is in a 30 mile range and you've been cycling for approximately 60 miles a week for the past few weeks (save for just last week).

To keep the theme of a journal progression, I would recommend that you start off with the half iron prep plan which lasts for weeks. That will get you from today through May 11. Then I would transition to our traditional half Iron Man plan, like the bike focus plan. You could do anywhere from the last eight weeks to the full 12 weeks. If you go eight weeks, then your end date would be: 07/06/20. If you go to 12 weeks, then your end it would be 08/03/20.

I really like your forward thinking process here. At the end of the day, this training is what will not only set you up for something later this year but ultimately for next season as well. Missing out on this opportunity to put in some critical training will ultimately reduce your future potential. Let me know if you need help!