Home General Training Discussions
Options

What are the elements of the “18 month Ironman plan?”

With my race season scrubbed for 2020, but clearly acknowledging I need a big event on the calendar, I’m now starting thinking about how to approach the opportunity this presents for developing and deploying a long view, deliberate strategy to a 2021 season.

What dimensions would you advise: specificity? Periodization? Strategically attacking limiters? Single sport blocks? Just have fun until 6 weeks out?

I know 18 months sounds crazy, but it really isn’t ... when you consider we used to write a Cheque to the Man to register a year out for IMLP, or we already do a 10-month program, I see it as just creating a slightly longer runway, but also a huge opportunity to do th8mgs a bit different and break some plateaus.

Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited April 19, 2020 12:18AM

@Dave - interesting dilemma. Just as an idea with NO evidence to support it, you might consider dividing the next 12 months into 3 single sport blocks, one for bike, then swim, then run (the order roughly geared to the weather and current conditions) taking a two week transition between each block. Then with 6 months to go, transition back into a triathlon program. Without the distraction of triathlon you could go in deep on each sport block, then put it back together in that final six months as if triathlon were all new again.

• Options

I’m kind of following @Paul Hough . I’ve gone into maintenance mode with my swimming via the Vasa trainer. I’m building my run back up after badly twisting my ankle a month or so ago, but only running slow miles.

My current plan is having fun with my bike. I spent some time dialing in my fitness with WKO and getting the model up to date so it can drive intervals, zones, etc. Now I’m on Zwift having fun chasing down routes. Plan is to do all 67 main ones, knock off all the challenges etc. Basically building bike fitness. So far the end goal is to mimic a week of riding in the French Alps at the end of June, assuming the Endurance Nation Camp that I signed up for gets cancelled.

I’ll regroup in July and either continue the big bike focus or swap out goals.

Next up would be another big run focus, which I did at the end of 2019. Dive back into Stryd, clean up the model, up the volume and speed and become a better runner. I would expect that block to go for 3 or 4 months.

After that, I’m hoping triathlon is back in vogue and I’ll start to focus on all three sports once again.

Got to keep it fun!

• Options

It's simple for me: "Use it or lose it". 12 hours, 14 wkos a week split among bodywork, bike indoors and out, and running. Next two months with only the occasional short Zwift race and strides at the end of each run for anaerobic challenge, otherwise, motor along @ .75-0.83 IF on the bike, and LRP TRP on the run. Come middle of June, if there are no events on the horizon for 2020, I will have to re-consider my path.