Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

Wahoo Fitness Kickr type trainers

Dear WSM's:

How many people out there have a Wahoo Fitness Kickr type trainer and share it with their family?

My wife and I both bike indoors during bad weather/winter/etc. We have the same bikes, same components, speeds. I was wondering will the shifting be an issue? What if her chain is dirty and mine clean will I get dirt from her chain onto mine? Is it a pain to swap bikes?

Any/all comments welcome.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

If you are both going to be cycling inside all winter, you could clean and wax your chains so everything will stay clean.

I follow these guys instructions for cleaning and waxing https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/product/molten-speed-wax/

A few others on the team use it as well.

• Options

I've got two of them. One is mine and one is for my wife or friends that come over to hang in the garage. My Kickr has a cassette that matches my road and try bikes. I have the standard 11-28 cassette on the second one. My wife's bike is set for 11-30 and friends have a variety of gearing.

The easiest solution is to just use erg mode. Put the chain in the middle of the rear cassette and just pedal. Otherwise, the next best solution is to change gears in a limited fashion - picking off the middle gears. So don't shift up to the top or bottom gears. When my wife does this, it sounds pretty bad, so she just changes gears and is good to go.

• Options

Late to reply, but I have one Kickr Core trainer that I share with my wife. I do all the bike switching. After doing it a few times, it's a very simple process and only takes a couple minutes. I know my wife's riding schedule and I just make sure her bike is ready to ride. She does Trainer Road workouts in ERG and I do Zwift rides/workouts and TR workouts. Her bike is a 10-speed and mine is 11-speed. I'm using an 11-speed cassette on the trainer. Since she doesn't have to shift gears in ERG mode, there are no issues with 10/11-speed compatibility. I also keep her chain cleaned and lubed to avoid issues with transferring dirt to the trainer or other bike. At this point I'm not sure I can justify investing in a second smart trainer. But, if/when she wants to start using Zwift (shifting gears) and riding/working out together, then I'd get another smart trainer.