Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Richard Daley Official Coach Thread

edited January 19, 2018 7:08PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Focus on mostly running and running form, maintaining swim 

Your Races

• 7/08/18 - Muskoka 70.3 
  • 8/19/18 - Ironman Mont Tremblant  

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/12/2018
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the -- Advanced EN*Half to end on 07/08/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 5/28/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Full to end on 8/19/2018
  • On 8/20/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/16/2018
  • On 9/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/14/2018
  •        

Coach Notes

I think you are ready to dive in to your training!!! The January OutSeason Plan is under way, and you can do the L1 workouts for the first 5 week "phase" and then see if L2 will work for the bike (At least). I think that you will enjoy the  Bike Focus block to complement the early run focus of the OS, then it's onwards to Tremblant.

When you get a chance, please let me know hat your race goes are specifically for this year!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    I am also doing Muskoka 70.3 first weekend in July. I did enter it into the questionnaire but doesn't look like it went through. I am working on week two of JOS. 
  • Options
    @Richard Daley  -  Thanks for catching that! I updated your Season Plan to include a few weeks on the EN*Half Plan before you make the leap to the EN*Full Plan

IOW you won't train right into the Half on a Half plan; the Half plan will be your bridge to start the Long Course training, then you'll load the Full plan (and work the Half into it). That's something you and I can work out here as the race approaches. 

What do you think?

~ Coach P

Ps - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better.

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options
    Thanks for the update Patrick. I just wanted to let you know that my intent with the Muskoka 70.3 is to use it as a training race. Dial in the bike wattage for IMMT and then run initially at TRP and pick up pace if feeling OK. So basically using it for a long day with some speed before the IM. I realistically will not do swim camp for two weeks. I am currently swimming with masters two times a week for 2-2.5 hours. I will maintain that until June and then add OW swims. In the past my swimming has been OK and my bike times are OK. I need to be stronger on the bike to run better and I need to run better. Last IM I felt good off the bike but ran poorly due to not enough running and digestive issues. I have worked on the nutrition and feel I should reduce the risk of a "crappy" run from that perspective. I have been running more consistently but need work on the bike run combo I think. I literally swore I will not do another IM without actually running the marathon. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    @Richard Daley - totally get it. Remember that’s not a 100% fitness issue; it’s also execution and nutrition. But those are future things to solve. 

The point of swim camp is organized recovery so you can so you can absorb the OS and then build again for the remainder of the year. Even if you don’t need to ramp up let’s stay focused on making sure the recovery happens. :D

The best thing to do now is lock in that weekly run mileage...set the foundation. 
  • Options
    So what I am reading above is simply shut up do the work and trust the process. I get it and that's ok. Quick question for you. I am suppose to participate in a run on Feb 25. Since I am the sponsor, I should be there. Options of distances are 5K, half a half (10.55K) and a half. I feel like I have not done enough distance to run a half well. I am fundamentally apposed to running a half a half on principal (stupid idea generated by the running room thought process) but I can run it. I feel I have not done enough speed for the 5K. I was not able to do the 5K test this week so that may be good timing for that as well. The other option is to just stay home and do the ride wko that  I would normally do.
    So what do you think I should do?
  • Options
    @Richard Daley - Technically I didn’t use those words, but I’m glad that you got the basic idea. :-)

I agree, I don’t want you running a half and a half a half is just weird. I said you show up because you’re the sponsor and get an a decent warm up at about 15 minutes set a goal for your 1st mile of being smart but not too hard and then see what you can do to hold on. At the very least, you are representing and giving it 110%. What event could ask for more? 
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes (Watch video)

Note, here is the link to add Final Surge to your account (See bottom of the page): http://members.endurancenation.us/MyAccount/MaintainAccount.aspx

Your Races

• 09/07/2019 amphibious challenge Shenboro Quebec
    • 08/16/2020 Ironman Mt Tremblant

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 07/13/2019
    • On 7/8/2019 Load the Short Course, 20wks to end on 9/8/2019
    • On 9/9/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/15/2019
    • On 9/16/2019 Load the Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/13/2019
    • On 10/14/2019 Load the Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/10/2019
    • On 11/4/2019 Load the OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/9/2020
    • On 2/10/2020 Load the Swim Camp to end on 2/23/2020

Your Notes

Currently finished Muskoka 70.3. recovering from hamstring issue and only ran last 4 weeks going into race. I have no pain in hamstring day after 70.3. Had to ease off bike to allow for recoveryMonday 2-2:30 interval bike

Tuesday intervals run, swim masters 60 min

Wednesday Brick 40 min interval bike with 30 min run

Thursday Tempo run Group ride at night 1.5-2.5 hours hard (fight night)

Friday OW swim 2 -3 km

Sat masters swim 1.5 hours Bike 2 hours intervals

Sunday LSD run

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

I am looking for the next plan. I will complete at end of the month. I am thinking of running around the bay 30 km March 29. Still looking at primary race is IMMT with 70.3 Muskoka as test.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2020 2:06PM

@Richard Daley roger that. Usual steps are to submit your races online here: http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TriathlonSeasonRoadmap.aspx  This way you go into our race database and we can make sure that you have all the guidance you need.

You can still do that now, just check "Do Not Process" as I have put my guidance for you here.

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Running Around the Bay 30km March 29.
    • 70.3 Muskoka 2020-07-12
    • IMMT 2020-08-23

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/12/2020
    • On 2/24/2020  Load the    Half Marathon (Balanced) 12 weeks  to end on  3/29/2020
    • On 3/30/2020  Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  5/10/2020
    • On 5/11/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on  6/8/2020
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  8/23/2020
    • On 8/24/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  9/20/2020
    • On 9/21/2020  Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  10/18/2020
    • On 10/19/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/15/2020

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Sorry Patrick but am I to end the full on July 26 or on Aug 23 (the date of IMMT)

• Options

Also concerned with the transition from running 7 times a week from OS with 90 min "long" runs to 5 weeks of half training to get to 30km run. Which of the weeks of the 12 should be done? Should the time\distances be altered?

• Options

@Richard Daley sorry for the confusion; you should do the first 3 of 4 weeks of the Full Prep plan, then eject into the Race Prep 12 weeks to IMMT. I have updated the bullet ^above^.

As for prep for the 30k, there are two factors: your weekly volume and your long run. Your last 4 weeks have you running avg of 25 miles. A 30km run is 18.6...so you are right in the ball park. I'd like to get you up to :

• 30 miles per week - so think 28, 30, 26, 30, 30

Two long runs of 2 hours before the 30k. So long run day is a 2.5 hour long run target starting as split then consolidating:

• 1:10 + :30m
    • 1:15 + :40m
    • 1:25 + :40m
    • 1:30 + :45m
    • 2:30 EASY RUN
    • 1:15 Taper long run
    • The 30k

Are you good with that?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Richard Daley that run mileage looking really strong. How are you feeling? I know it’s been a weird winter for run training; looks like you found your path.

Let me know if you need help with the plan interchanging work our race planning!

~ Coach P

• Options

Not a new thing for you but the 30km race is cancelled. Do I jump into bike block early or something else?

Richard

• Options

@Richard Daley would you be open to keeping the plan in place and running a 10 mile (or 13.1) time trial on your own to close out the block? It's a good part of your season, race or no...

If that's not in the cards, you can start the bike focus block early (3/16/20, ending on 04/27/20), then we could just have you repeat the Half Prep Plan as needed.

Let me know what you choose!

~ Patrick

• Options
    Sounds cool.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

Alrighty then...I'll be looking for the file in Final Surge!

~ Coach P

• Options

I assume you know that IMMT is cancelled. I am expecting Muskoka 70.3 to be as well. I am thinking of just focusing on next year. I will be able to swim off my dock when (or if) it gets warmer. I have worked up to a lsd run of 3 hours and would like to maintain that run fairly consistently. My bike fitness is ok but usually relied on local cycling club "fight night" as primary source of high intensity pain. Looks like that will not be an option this year. I have done some longer rides on the trainer and happy enough with that until weather cooperates. So I just need guidance on big picture moving forward.

• Options

@Richard Daley -- , I am aware of that and honestly, it's refreshing to see people take a long term realistic view on the situation we are facing. It's a blow to our individual seasons, but that doesn't mean we can't strike a path that is still beneficial. I have been working with athletes to help them solve this problem precisely, and it comes down to a few key things.

What are your long term goals?

For most folks in the Iron Man game it's about being faster. And from my perspective this is primarily about improving bike strength and run durability. In a normal season we have to tackle both in short order and with the looming race. We don't have to do that now so we can pick one and stick with it.

What can we do now we can't do in a regular year?

Per the above, there's a great deal we can do now without the constraints of a typical season that includes peeking, tapering and recovering. For example, we can do a great deal of work on your bike threshold power. Or we can work on bike/run frequency. We can break down your running form and rebuild you to be stronger. We can tackle a new challenge like a running streak or perhaps logging your longest ride on Strava. And then there's all that strength work that we never do, which we suddenly have time for.

What are some short term goals that will keep us focused on this new path?

This is easier for short term goals than others. Running streaks are simple to track as our long rides. Improving your bike strength is a little trickier because not every workout makes you stronger, although the aggregate well. For some it is a work out streak or another similar type of consistency metric.

Is any of that resonating with you? What do you think?

~ Coach P