Homeโ€บ Coaching Forum ๐Ÿงข
Options

@ Coach Patrick training plan change

Hi Coach Patrick,

I am thinking of transitioning to a new plan since my Penticton Ironman has cancelled and my 70.3 in June has postponed until September. What do you think is a good plan to set up for me? I was thinking about doing the 2020 OS for triathletes, bike focus starting June 1-Spetember 5th. I'm not sure if I will actually go to Idaho to race, but I may just do my own race around my house with the Covid situation. I'll be honest, I have fallen off the ban wagon for training in the last couple of weeks and have been doing endurance gardening and house repair instead, lol.

Kind regards,

Linda Johnson

Comments

• Options

Endurance Gardening and House Repair! ๐Ÿคฃ I am pretty sure you and I are on similar types of training plans. I can't believe what we have managed to accomplish around here in the last few weeks. More significantly, I can't believe there's anything still left on the list to doโ€ฆ But there still is! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

I see you striking a balance between Training and expectations around your race. I agree that the old season plan is a great place to start. It's very time focused, has multiple days off, and different ability levels to allow you to navigate your return to recovery. I like the idea of the bike focus plan for the whole season which will cover you for 14 weeks.

Remember there are three phases to the old season training program, so we can use the first four weeks as part of an "re-entry" process to get you back up to speed. Maybe you consider doing level one workouts during that time to just retrieved the basic habits we need for you to be successful from the consistency perspective.

I want to highlight the consistency, many athletes will judge their early workouts to harshly comparing it to Peak fitness from previous months. The goal here is not to equal those early months, but to get yourself back on track. Success is completing the sessions we have listed not by hitting high numbers.

You could make the call on whether not you want to race in early August. That will still give us time to increase the volume if needed. And to add any swimming if that's the case. But let's give the situation time to unfold on its own.

Please let us know if you need help adding that plan to your account!

~ Coach P