Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Keiko Ogasawara Official Coach Thread

edited October 25, 2017 8:47PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Past Performances

• Eagleman 70.3 MD 6/11/17   06:49:04
  • Princeton Half Marathon NJ 11/6/16 2:05:20
  • Perfect 10 Miler NJ 10/23/16        1:30:36
  • IRONMAN 70.3 Timberman,NH 8/21/16 6:28:56
  • Rock Hall International/Olympic  MD 6/4/16  2:45:15
  • Pioneer Mid-Atlantic Open/Olympic PA  
  • Iron Girl Triathlon ,NJ 9/13/15 1:30:00
  • Tri The Wildwoods Sprint NJ 8/29/15 1:16:32
  • Coney Island Aquathlon NY 7/11/15   57:56
  • North Jersey Pride Equality 5K NJ 6/7/15 25:50

Your Races

• 9/10/2017 - Olympic Nationals (B)
  • 11/5/2017 - Princeton Half Marathon (A)
  • 3/25/2018 - Love Run Philadelphia 
  • 6/10/2018 - 70.3 Eagleman (A)
  • 8/26/2018 - Ironman 70.3 Maine
  • 9/29/2018 - Ironman 140.6 Maryland

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 08/30/2017
  • Complete the Trial Testing Week, save your Bike and Run Zones to the My Zones Page.
  • On 8/28 Load the Beginner 2017 Short Course, 20wks to end on 9/10/2017
  • On 9/11 Load the Beginner Half Marathon 12 weeks to end on 11/5/2017
  • On 11/6 Load the -- Post HalfIron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 11/19/2017
  • On 11/20 Load the -- Run Durability Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/17/2017
  • On 12/18 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/14/2018
  • On 1/8 Load the Beginner 2017 OutSeason Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 3/5 Load the Beginner 2017 EN*Half to end on 6/10/2018
  • On 6/11 Load the -- Post HalfIron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/24/2018
  • On 6/25 Load the Beginner EN*Full Plan to end on 9/29/2018
  • On 9/30 Load the Post HalfIron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/28/2018

Coach Notes

Really excited to work with you and help you craft the best possible schedule given your demanding profession. It will take a bit of back and forth to get you sorted out, but the Fall is the best time to do just that. 

I see you are in the Half Marathon plan, but I am okay with you doing the Short Course plan (as listed ^above^) while the weather is still nice for us triathletes!  ;)  Then we can transition you over to more of a typical half plan for the final 6 to 8 weeks. 

Then it's the Run Durability Program (RDP) for you to build a base (easy hours for you!) before hitting our renown OutSeason® Plan. This is harder (bike and run) but the hours are still low for you...then we are well into 2018 and thinking Race Prep!

While you are thinking Short Course for the Nation's Trial, here is our Short Course Resource Page that might prove helpful.

I look forward to talking with you soon!

Contact Points

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. You can schedule all calls with me for these times online here. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (to be announced)

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website
We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / 0-- First 30 Days on EN.  If you have any trouble, don’t hesitate to reach out via the chat icon on the main Members website here.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Your Homework

Tell Us Why You Choose EN & Your Season Goals

• Please reply below with WHY you chose Endurance Nation and WHY you train/compete.
  • Whenever possible, please identify your goals -- time, body composition, completion...the sooner you put them down the sooner we can get towards achieving them. 

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    edited September 9, 2017 12:46AM
    Hi,Coach Patric

thank you very much for taking your time.

i am originally from Japan and used to be a competitive swimmer started from age 4,5 till 18.
    i started doing sports of triathlon 2015,2yrs ago. I was able to place at aquathlon(Coneyisland),Wildwood tri Sprint and iron girl. All of them were Sprint and felt comfortable with Sprint. But I decided to have new challenges last year doing Timberman 70.3 as my first half. I have done Olympic distances several times at different locations.

After Eagleman this year, i lost my dog and had lost my motivations completely and was not able to do any training for about 2 months.(even though D.C. race is comming soon)

Why I chose Endurance Nation, because I was looking for people who motivate me and also it'll be very beneficial for me to learn from others and of course,coaches. 

Why I train/compete, as I mentioned, I always like to be compete since I was a swimmer. As a competitive swimmer, I grown up with disciplines and self motivated. For me, training and competing at the races are kind of my meditation. I don't need to think about anything else but only swim,bike and run.
    I enjoying triathlon than individual race because I can know what really my weakness is. 

Since I work as Licensed Massage Therapist and mom of 2kids(9,11),I am always trying to make my own time as  doing training, I usually wake up 4am if I have to work that days.i am completely off from work only Wednesday.  
    My goal for ironman 70.3 is to complete in less than 6hrs, and 5:45 if I can achieve that. and 5:30.  

By the way, my most weakest part of triathlons is RUN for sure. (I have a swimmer body...) SO I REALLY would like to improve my run time. I am very interested in camp or group runt training or something around New Jersey area.

Keiko

• Options
    @keiko ogasawara -  yes, you are. Thank you so much! Knowing your story helps me help you so much more.

While we don't do training camps on the ground for running or specifically in New Jersey, I am sure we can find you some resources there as we have a great group of athletes. Let me think about who will be the best referral for you.

In the meantime, how  is the training plan going? 
  • Options
    @keiko ogasawara I added your past race performances above, thanks!!!! Please let me know how your training is going when you get the chance!!!
  • Options
    Hi, Coach. 

to tell you the truth, I was doing another training instead of "12 wk half marathon" by mistake last week... 
    so I have started doing "half marathon" this week.  and I guess, it has been ok so far. no stress.

I'm wondering if it's ok to add some swimming. if so what kind? long swim or interval(with some equipments)?
    Since I am not good at running, I'd like to include swimming to avoid boredom during half marathon training.

please share your thoughts.

• Options
    @keiko ogasawara  - that's okay...it can take some time to get used to the website! Sometimes I use calendar reminders to "bump" me to change the plans!

Swimming would be great. We have a "winter swim supplement" PDF file that you can download and save / print on your end. Then you could pick workouts from that whenever you do get to the pool:

https://app.box.com/shared/8k23pib54d 

Please let me know if you'll be able to post or send me a video of you running, it could help me help you out!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Ps, we should get you to update your profile image here when you get the chance!!

• Options
    @keiko ogasawara I got your note with the video!!! Here's my reply for you...

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/3inp217ikm

• Options
    hi, coach 
    here's my video of running.  I am sure I have to let my shoulder,elbow to be relax while running.

And coach,I am start thinking about going to Full ironman maybe next fall.
    is that possible for someone who' never ran marathons like me?
  • Options
    wow, Coach P.

Thank you very very much for taking your time to analyze my running posture.
    I didn't realize my left arm wasn't moving,  lack of range of motion in my hip joints, and needed to bring my knees more higher while  i was running.
    there is no doubt that this analysis will be very helpful for my running.

I'll try to focus more on my run that you corrected for me, I am sure it's going to take some time to become a better runner but i really want to not struggle with running next year.

Again,thank you so much Coach!!

• Options
    @keiko ogasawara -  no problem! I was thinking of you yesterday when I was running, and one of the easiest ways to focus on your hands to hold something in them. It needs to be something light and small like a golf ball or a gel.

You have one for each hand and that will help you focus on moving those hands. As the hand comes up so too does the opposite knee – my hand up left knee up. 

Its all connected! 

Pick one thing to focus on each run, and let’s check back in in a month to see how you are doing!
  • Options
    Coach,

Conglaturation for finishing your IM kona last weekend.
    I hope you are recovering quickly.

I have registered Ironman Maine 70.3/August,2018 and (my very first time)Ironman Maryland/Sept,2018 for next year. So now I have Eagleman(June/2018) ,Maine(Aug) and FUll Maryland(Sept.) so far.
    It may be too soon to do a 140.6 after 70.3, but at the same time it might be better for me to get used to the environment... do you think a month is enough to move on to 140.6? I never run a full marathon in my life, but is that possible to finish full ironman? (yes, i registered already...)

and i don't think I am great runner yet, but since I start running more often, I start feeling more comfortable with running.
    I do swim, strength training on Mon, Fri,too.

Can you please provide me a new future training plan for next year?  

thank you for your time,
    keiko

• Options
    Coach,

I forgot to add one more for next year event;

2017/ Nov.5  Princeton Half Marathon
    2018/ March 25 Love Run Philadelphia 
           / June 10 Ironman 70.3 Eagleman
           / Aug. 26 Ironman 70.3 Maine
           / Sept. 29 Ironman 140.6 Maryland

thank you,Keiko
  • Options
    @keiko ogasawara - I am on this today! Please standby…
  • Options
    @keiko ogasawara - done, I have adjusted the plan at the top of the page to include your other races.

• We can train through the OutSeason Plan into the Love run (you and I adjust here)
    • You will train through 70.3 Maine into IM Maryland on the Full Plan.
    Game on!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    coach Patric,

it's been a while since sent you a message,
    I have been focusing on run more since then and really enjoying EN training plans.
    However, I just notice that I have misunderstood how the training plans work and seems like I was doing a wrong training these days.
    I had done a bike test yesterday and run test today but I guess that wasn't my plans for this week...,so I am stuck on training plans right now...
    according to the outline,
    • On 1/8 Load the Beginner 2017 OutSeason Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 3/5 Load the Beginner 2017 EN*Half to end on 6/10/2018
    I should be on week 7 of 14,outseason ,end 4/15/2018?
    or switching the plan to the Beginner half on 3/5 till 6/10?

• Options
    @keiko ogasawara  - so glad you are focused on the run; it might be nice to see a "new" video of your running form when you have the chance.

As for the plan, yes I want you to exit the OutSeason®  in Week 10 (the week of March 5th) and jump into the Half Plan through race day...so plan to make that switch (maybe put it on your calendar).

Thanks!

~ Coach P

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 06/20/2020 Patriot Half
    • Ironman Mont Tremblant (2020-08-23) #IMMT_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•   Last updated by Coach on October 28, 2019
    •  On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end
    • on  11/17/2019On 11/26/2018 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/23/2018
    • On 12/24/2018 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/20/2019
    • On 1/21/2019  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/28/2019
    • On 3/31/2019  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on  06/21/2020
    • On 6/22/2020  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  7/5/2020

>> Transition Early << 

• On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on  8/23/2020
    • On 8/24/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  9/20/2020

Your Notes

5/5/19 North Face Endurance Challenge 50K (09:35:20)

6/9/19 Eagleman 70.3 (5:19:52)

8/25/19 Maine 70.3 (06:14:39)I spent most time for run past fall 2018 untill 50K event on May. I had been straggling with burn out after that.

Now i am trying to get back to the same routine with motivation that I used to have before.

for now, i am stat running little by little without mental stress. 

trying to run at least 4 days a week includes weekend long run. but honesty mental isn't following...so very slower pace...

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach Patric,

thank you for updating my training plans.

However, I wonder if I can do "RUN FOCUSED" instead of doing "BIKE FOCUSED" or maybe you have some reason you chose "BIKE FOCUSED" for me? is that training for hills in Mont Tremblant?

Please let me know if i should just do bike focused.

• Options

Keiko,

I talked with Coach Patrick and we came up with a good plan. We will still sequence the plans as before, but you will transition each a bit early. You will start your Full training on 1 June, this will incorporate you race at Patriots Half along the way.

Durability for Triathletes - Phase 2 11/25/201912/22/2019

Durability for Triathletes - Phase 3 12/23/2019 to 1/19/2020 [transition early]

2020 OutSeason® for Triathletes, Bike Focused, All Abilities, 1/6/2020 5/31/2020 [transition early]

2019 Half Bike Focused Plan (All Levels), 3/30/2020 to 5/31/2020 [transition early]

2019 Full Run Focused Plan (All Levels), last 12 weeks 6/1/2020 8/23/2020

Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) 8/24/20209/20/2020

Those plans are all loaded into your Final Surge. You are all set! Go get 'em!

• Options

hi, Coach

since my family and I are decided to move to North Carolina on the end of June, I had to cancel "Patriot Half"...

and I have added my first full marathon Charlotte Marathon on Nov.14th a few month ago.

I also would like to have some advices about having another 70.3 option before/ or after my most important race, IMMT 140.6(Aug. 23)

Would you recommend ... IM Connecticut 70.3 (May 31) before IMMT

or 70.3 Augusta(9/27), about a month after IMMT?

the reason why I consider "Connecticut 70.3" is the similar elevation on bike/run course(maybe?).

I am honestly worry about those bike elevations if I can conquer in IMMT. so i thought it may be better to try out in Connecticut before go to Canada...

or should I just focus on IMMT and do Augusta 70.3 after IMMT? (I'm just interested in Augusta one)

Charlotte marathon is just something i thought i would like to try new and it's planed already ...

I've done a Flat IM Maryland before, and i'm clearly understand that I can't compare with Hilly Mont Tremblant. and I also know that full marathon is much harder than full ironman race...

I really would like to hear your thoughts?

thank you for your time,Coach.

• Options

@keiko ogasawara congratulations on your move...I hope you are excited. We have MANY athletes in NC like @Emily Brinkley and @Dave Campbell so you need to tell us where you are headed to make new EN friends! 👋

My vote is for Connecticut 70.3 to test yourself on the hills (they are tough!) and to give you permission to take a break after the race as you go to the process of moving. My fear is that if we push your 70.3 till after August, there will be a little motivation for you to do much right now. Having an earlier season target means that you'll get the training done and be able to build off of it into your race regardless of the challenges associated with moving.

We can follow the same plan, except we would move you from "post IM plan" into more of a run block headed into Charlotte marathon.

The focus now is on making sure you have the right equipment on your bike for the hills. What type of gearing do you have?

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach, i did signed up Connecticut 70.3 as soon as i received your response, and am start feeling nervous already now...

I am not really sure about bike at all. so i just copied bike detailed from one of website;

Specs

FrameCervelo carbon w/Smartwall technologyForkCervelo P2 All-CarbonRims/WheelsShimano RS010 (700c); Vision Team 30 (650c)HubsSee Rims/WheelsSpokesSee Rims/WheelsTiresVittoria Rubino Pro, 700 x 23c; Vittoria Rubino Pro, 650 x 23cCranksetFSA GossamerChainrings52/36Bottom BracketBBright Press-Fit 30Front DerailleurShimano 105Rear DerailleurShimano 105Rear CogsShimano 105, 11-speed: 11-25ShiftersShimano BSR1, bar-endHandlebarsProfile Design T2 Wing w/Profile Design T4 extensionsStemProfile Design Aris OSBrake LeversProfile Design ABS ALBrakesFSA Gossamer ProSaddleFizik Arione Tri2; Light Grey: ISM PrologueSeat PostCervelo Aero SP14

bike fit was done at ATA cycle in here MA several months ago, and has been really working well.

I usually use carbon wheels on race day, do you think those wheel are going to be safe to use at Connecticut 70.3 0r Mont Tremblant?

also, how often i should run on actual outdoor hill a week? I have been running on Treadmills at home lately and run outside only for long run weekend.

what is your thoughts?

• Options

@keiko ogasawara The bike looks good to me, the big thing is we want to make sure that you can pedal even when things get hard on the hills. It’s possible that your 36/25 may force you to stand once or twice in Connecticut, so if it’s possible you may want to go to a 12/28 cassette in the back... That’s really just switching the concert which is a pretty straightforward procedure. Since you only have a bike for a short while you should need a new chain as well.

as long as you have the proper brake pads on the bike, specific for carbon rims, you will be fine. And running outdoors just on the weekend right now is OK. Once we hit April 1 I will want you running outside at least twice a week. Right now we want to keep you healthy and running happy!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi, Coach

as you know "Connecticut 70.3" has been postpone and I'm still waiting for new update from them if I can transfer to another race( if there are any availability...). and I also deferred IM Mont Tremblant this year to next year 2021 since my life and the world is a bit crazy right now...

for now until pool is going to re-open, I'd like to focus on running for Charlotte Marathon https://runcharlotte.com/ in 11/14/20 (I hope this one won't cancel..)

would you recommend me to change my previous training plan to others? I am still doing "Half iron bike focus" .

i don't want to admit but I think I maybe stuck a bit lately...

Can you please give me some directions?!

thank you,

• Options

@keiko ogasawara - it is 100% normal for you to be stuck right now. I think a large part of the world is "stuck" and we have to fight our way through it. I agree that you need to "refocus" a bit on something that is more relevant for you.

Here are my thoughts...we finish through week 8 of the Half Plan (minus swimming).

Then you can "recover" with durability for 4 weeks and reboot with speed, etc. Thoughts?

• On 5/4/2020  Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 5/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 8/9/2020
    • On 8/10/2020 Load the  -- Swim Camp (Alternative Plan)  to end on 8/23/2020
    • On 8/24/2020 Load the  -- Half Marathon (Balanced) 12 weeks to end on 11/15/2020
    • On 11/16/2020 Load the  -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 11/29/2020</p>

~ Patrick

• Options
    edited April 6, 2020 9:07PM

thank you Coach,

since I am registering for Full Marathon, wondering if it's ok to do "durability for runners- phase 2 OR 3" and start full "2020 Marathon plan" from July 26th for 16wks instead of doing "Half Marathon(balanced)" ? and just swim as "recovery" during marathon training plan?

I just feel like I had not spending enough time for running, but more for biking(indoor...)lately...

Keiko

• Options

@keiko ogasawara thanks for writing back so quickly. I'm not sure why I picked that half marathon training plan for your full race when you clearly stated it was a marathon. I think maybe I didn't have enough coffee yesterday? It's only funny because I remember scheduling the Marathon plan, and then I undid it one of the dates didn't work out because I said to myself "silly Patrick, she's doing the half marathon."

Ok, let's try this again...

• On 5/4/2020  Load the  -- Durability for Runners 3 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 5/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- Durability for Runners 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 6/28/2020-
    • On 6/29/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Runners 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 7/26/2020
    • On 7/27/2020 Load the  -- 2019 Marathon [Balanced], 16 Weeks to end on 11/15/2020
    • On 11/16/2020 Load the  -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 11/29/2020

Key here is figuring out what you want to do between now and the beginning of that durability program for Runners.

I feel like there's a 16 week. Between now and the beginning of your marathon plan. We need to be flexible in that space to allow you to grow as an athlete, but at the same time there's opportunities there for you to do additional work. I think it will be a mistake not to include some cycling as the weather gets nicer and you have the means to get out there.

I do know that you recently moved, so perhaps outdoor cycling is it right up your alley now, but turning away from the bike for the better part of a season will illuminate a lot of growth opportunities for you in the years to come. Let me know what you're thinking about doing for the next few weeks or if you're open to including some cycling in this period of time.

• Options

Hi, Coach

I've been doing "Durability for runners 2" and will start 3 in about a week.

but now , i have another problem about my Ironman... I have received IMMT deferral options yesterday and choices are IMMT 2021 or some other IM races this covid 2020.

since i'm moving to North Carolina soon, i don't think i want to fly to Canada for MT next year because of budget and time...then i thought about IM Chattanooga which is one of their deferral options. However, they are still planning for the end of September which is almost 3months from now... 😂 I know it sounds really terrible idea to tell you,but it would be much better in case they canceled or postpone since i'll live much closer to the area...than flying to canada... but who knows, i am not sure what's going to happen to me in case they have race as scheduled on September this year... i know i'll be look very miserable that's for sure...

for this past a few months, mind had been shifted to Marathon training this fall... and really don't know what is the right things for me...

should i just stick with marathon training or do IM Chattanooga (super quick)training anyway or just throw IM registration fee? ( i have lost $500 for air bnb, IMMT..) i wonder how others are dealing with this...

I'd like to hear your honest toughs /ideas (as usual..)

have a good weekend😎