Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Just saw "Game Changers" and got me thinking about going Plant based

Just saw "The Game Changers" and got me thinking about going Plant based.

For those who are plant based, did you jump in all in or did you add like a "Meatless Monday"?

Do you think you feel better, race better, recover better? (Anything else better can go in the groupme #wrongchat)

What are your favorite go to recipes?

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options

@Robert Sabo Since you are in the same AG as I would strongly recommend against going PB :-) I jumped all in a little over 10 years ago, I was already (rock climbing fit) so I did not notice any OMG " I feel so much better, I sleep so much better, I am so much stronger, I am so much faster " moments. But I will say it has not made me weaker or slower. Those that report the immediate positive side effects above are most likely because they lost weight, increased the w/kg because of said weight loss, hence they feel better and are faster. Sorry to say , your lean and fit and I doubt very much you will see those side effects. How ever I believe your longer term health would thank you as will the animals and environment.

poke around here nutritionfacts.org Dr. Gregor

If you really wanna give it a go. I'd be happy to discuss what I eat. Its really not difficult.

• Options

Yay @Robert Sabo!

FWIW: We went "all in" over two years ago. It was easier than living in the grey and suits my personality better. :-) Context: I came for the health, but am staying for the ethics, it's been quite a fun and interesting journey so far. It's super easy now and we are even navigating social settings with minimal stress these days.

Second @tim cronk regarding nutritionfacts.org and specifically the Daily Dozen app created by Dr. Gregor that helped us structure the new way of eating. It actually expanded vs limited the scope of what we eat. I learned things like WTF is nutritional yeast and what is a cruciferous vegetable. #SoMuchToLearn!

Regarding recipes specifically, we subscribed to the Forks Over Knives meal planner for about a year and got a TON of amazing recipes that have now become our go-to standards. There are a couple of other similar services out there. I also got a couple of new staples out of the recently released "Plant Based on a Budget".

Regarding results/recovery: I feel FANTASTIC and honestly sleep like a rock star. Legit I have never slept better.

Excited to cheer you on and provide any other insights, just holla!

xoxo - J

• Options

Daily Dozen app, FWIW.

• Options

ok @tim cronk knows I've said over and over I should try this. I don't really eat much animal based products, do I? well, I guess I do, but I KNOW i CAN live without them. Jill has developed soriatic Arthritis and an auto-immune disorder and has discovered that eating gluten free, sugar free and no night shades has helped her tremendously.

what would be the easiest way for me to get her to buy into the vegan concept and plan meals? Last night we had a cauliflower crusted pizza, no tomato sauce (night shade), sauted mushrooms, onions and cheese (the real thing)

what is THE best app, easiest way? remember we both have full time jobs, her kids around, training time and responsibilities!!!

• Options

Since I have been plant based for 6 years I think I can add some value to this conversation.

I went all in, due to a health issue (paracarditis) and like @Jenn Edwards stayed for the ethics. I hired a local vegan nutritionist to get me started to ensure I was doing it correctly, but there are so many resources out there that is probably not necessary for you @Robert Sabo.

I did find that I recovered quicker (I used to be sore all the time), but I think that was because my body was inflamed from eating animal products.

I really like www.onegreenplant.org for recipes and they even have some outlines for eating plans on there (https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/weekly-meal-plan-endurance-athletes-vegan-menu/). I think @tim cronk will agree that making sure you are eating enough and taking a B12 and Vit D supplement are necessary to ensure your nervous system stays healthy. The B12 is not optional if you are going fully off animal products.

Nutrition Facts is great as Jen and Tim mentioned. All of his stuff is backed by science.

There are a lot of great vegan people you can follow on Instagram and Facebook that regularly post recipes for inspiration. https://www.adaptnetwork.com/veganadventurist/8-most-successful-vegan-runners-triathletes/

I could go on and on. Let me know if you need any further information.

As a side note, after the Game Changers Movie came out there were a lot of rebuttal/ debunking responses. One such rebuttal was from a guy named Chris Kesser. He was a guest on the Joe Rogan Podcast. The co producer of the Game Changers asked if he could come on with Chris and address all the things he said were bogus on the podcast and that resulted in a 3hr42min podcast. If you are interested here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0zgNY_kqlI. It is really really good.

• Options

I think I going to start with Monday and Wednesday and start to empty out my freezer filled with meat as go. My wife is in agreement as well so that's helpful. I have to find new sources of protein now.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Any favorite recipes for sharing are always appreciated.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2019 1:45AM

I have been plant based for long time...

not truly intentional but I was consciously encouraged to go there by the book, China Study by T Colin Campbell. There are no health benefits to eating red meat of any sort, that's for sure! I still have Turkey during the holidays and I like fish like orange roughy and rainbow trout, but most of my meals are vegetables. I don't like the fake meat stuff made with soy or whatever it is, as it is processed...

so plant based doesn't mean no animal protein at all, but decreasing protein and eliminating animal protein in particular, definitely cuts down on inflammation and lowers your risk of cancer and other industrial nation diseases

• Options

Couple of questions:

Favorite plant based milk: Almond tastes good but no protein and rough on the environment; Oat higher in fat and calories but also tastes good; Soy?

Any good PB yoghurts?

favorite PB protein powder

favorite PB main course recipe

thanks

• Options

@Robert Sabo - I do not ingest any plant milk on the regular but when I do I go for the plain flavoured Ripple

As for yogurt I really like Silk plain and I mix my protein shake powder in it. Brand is Garden of Life Raw Organic. I like the Chocolate. I will take 175g of the yogurt, mix 1 scoop of the protein powder and put 50g of frozen berries on top. For breakfast I will add in 40g of oats and 12g of fat free peanut butter powder.

I do not have a fav main course. I eat really simply and I love tofu, so it is usually tofu or tempeh that is pan fried in 5g of olive oil, with some spices and then I will couple that with grilled butternut squash or spaghetti squash and some steam brocolli or cauliflower. I stay away from rice and pasta as they make me tired and set off an eating frensy.

I love spinach salad for lunch. 4 cups, with 2 tbsp of creamy dressing (Annies has some good ones), with 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast and a toast ODoughs everything bagel. Sometimes I will add peppers, or onions, but usually just simple like that.

I also like a ODoughs bagel toasted with mustard and 80g of smoked tofu for lunch with a piece of fruit.

Last night I had the tofu with the spaghetti squash and 1/4 cup of marinara sauce.

• Options

oh, I thought you meant main course on a ride! Luna Bars!

Last night I had Tofu, udon noodles, bok choy, carrot strips (comes in a bag), mushrooms for stir fry fresh from the market, sauteed in coconut oil with Szechuan seasoning. got some medium chain triglycerides in that one! added some Chineses red peppers.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2020 11:37PM

pea protein for smoothies after hard workout (@LifeTime Fitness), soy vanilla with coffee in the morning, (Soy Latte at Starbucks)

look up Vega products also

I don't eat yogurt... it's milk... 😝 rarely I'll sprinkle goat cheese on my salad... I've never tried yogurt made with soy...

You can make all kinds of cool things with Silk Tofu like chocolate pie... (I've got a great recipe for that) so I imagine you can make yogurt from soy milk... it just doesn't sound appetizing to me....

You can get vegan sports drinks from First Endurance

• Options
    edited January 2, 2020 10:47PM

if I may jump in to ask:

what are you folks favorite whole and raw foods that can be eaten right of the vine or out of the package ? anyone here do the mostly raw foods thing ?

• Options
    snap peas
    wasabi peas!
    grapes
    apple every day! cut it up and carry it with you in a plastic bag. I eat a apple a day almost every day.
    seaweed (in the package, at the grocery store; put them by your computer for a salty fix)
    baby carrots (I steam them first and put them in a plastic container and eat them cold)
    sweet cherry tomatoes

when I go on long bike rides I get a bag of peanut M & M’s for my snack… but get the 250 calorie bag not the giant one for sharing. Minimal milk products in it but it is a power filled sugar and protein mix that is alway in the C store no matter where you are… not everyone has Luna bars!)

Patricia Rosen, MD, MPH
    Austin Toxicology
    4303 Hyridge Drive
    Austin, TX 78759
    www.toxicologyevaluation_austin.yourmd.com
    512.371.8840 (fax)

pbrosen2us@icloud.com
  • Options
    vanilla soy is my go to post morning work out… mixed with real coffee, hot or cold depending on weather. perfect!
    on the course I use luna bar and cut into small squares…

after long run I use a smoothie from LifeTime with pea protein

Patricia Rosen, MD, MPH
    Austin Toxicology
    4303 Hyridge Drive
    Austin, TX 78759
    www.toxicologyevaluation_austin.yourmd.com
    512.371.8840 (fax)

pbrosen2us@icloud.com
  • Options

I'm already logging my food (OCD, anyone?) so just FWIW here's what a typical day looks for me. I find I can fuel swims and strength with an apple or two in my stomach but go to bananas on runs and bikes. I'll also add in Ezekiel English muffins, UCAN, Shot Bloks, etc for bigger days. Acknowledge it's not perfect and continuing to evolve.... will probably look different in a few months! Hope that helps!

• Options

Late to the conversation!

Adding my favourite books - I Could Never Go Vegan, anything by Brendan Brazier, Crazy Sexy Kitchen, Yum Universe, Oh She Glows (great app!), Deliciously Ella (another great app), and One Ingredient Chef. Run Fast, Eat Slow has hybrid recipes to suit veg / non veg.

My husband is an omnivore so we have a hybrid kitchen.

There are lots of fabulous recipes on Pinterest too.

Have fun!