Homeโ€บ Ultra Racing
Options

Run Strategy for 100K

Ok, y'all. First off, where is everyone else? I guess doing Ultra May? I'm not doing that. I went ahead and registered for the virtual 100K on June 27th. Now I'm scared. Been a little plagued with injuries and my long runs wont be as long as I want. What's new? But as we say, better undertrained than overtrained.

Here's my question. I'm thinking about starting with a run 10 min, walk 1-2 min strategy from the very beginning, rather than go until I just need to walk a lot. My first and slow/easy pace 50K took almost 9 hours so I'm guessing this 100K will take 18-20 hours. It will be my longest physical event ever. I'm scared. My only goal is to finish in one effort (the rules allow to spread over 2 days, but I'm not doing that).

What would you do?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

well, I just ran a 50k on my own on Wednesday. I am no expert by any stretch. I hadn't run more than 6 miles in many months and only had 4 weeks of 20 MPW under my feet, so it was truly an exercise in stupidity.

that said, I started off at a 10minute pace. The first few miles I had to stop take care of some nature calling breaks, so they ended up more like 12s.. I didn't start a walk run until around mile 13 or so, but at that point I had to.

I think your strategy is sound. The key is going to be what your run pace is for the 10' of running so that you are aren't burning matches you will need later on.

• Options

Thanks for replying, @scott dinhofer . First off, you crazy! Glad you survived your effort.

I tried to run/walk technique on Saturday and it went well. I ended up not being a slave to the clock, but using inclines (there are no real hills on this course) and nutrition breaks to fast hike. Worked out to be not much slower than my usual pace. I did 26.2 yesterday. Was a little sore, but not bad. I had some weird quad injury two weeks ago from a typical run, so main goal is to not do that again.

Today was scheduled to be 20 and my plan was 12-20, depending on how my quads felt and how my dog was doing (this was his longest run weekend as well and it's getting hot). I ended up doing 16. My quads were getting really sore. I could have done the extra 4, but I didn't think it was smart.

Now I'm recovering hard with all the strategies.

Goals for next long runs is to practice nutrition. I need to eat some real food for 20 hours!

• Options

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

Guess I should read my Coach notes for each run.

This is what it said for Saturday's run: "Today's long run is all about refining your run walk strategy on the course of your choosing."

I'm a dummy.

• Options

@Leslie Knight - the things we do to win bets!

I have found in some marathons & my 50k that the "use the hills to walk" is a good strategy, especially later on. Just have to remember to force yourself to walk as soon as you know it's flat again!

it's also a good time to take care of any nutrition/ clothing needs while you are walking/power hiking. Preserving the downstream workouts is always important, and know one knows better than the athlete when that is happening.

• Options

@Leslie Knight

Keep in mind that 100k just NOT just 2x 50k. Just like an Ironman is not 70.3 x2

The terrain may dictate your plan more than anything. I always went with 1. hike the climbs, 2. "run" the down hills depending on how technical they are, 3. Run/walk the flat.

Luckily (or unlucky) for me, here in Europe there is VERY little that is flat, so you are always climbing or descending. And unless you are crazy fast, nobody is really running any hill. "Big Buckle Cronk" isn't even running any of the hills.

That being said, yes having a run/walk strategy on the flats is key. Pace is irrelevant as you know, but moving forward is key. I would say your 10 / 1 is a good place to start.

Also, staying in the framework of "I am not doing any permanent damage", I think that it is smart to practice finishing the last 6 miles when your quads are fucked. Or stay up for 24 hours and then run 13-15 miles to practice running when physically and spent. Or do the same but fasted for 24 hours or when you've got serious GI issues and should be on the toilet. Or run at night with a super dim headlamp.

I like to have a lot of these scenarios in my mental piggy bank that I can call upon if I need to when the shit hits the fan at the 80K mark.

@Leslie Knight you need to respect the distance but also know that you can run, walk, or crawl it in.

• Options

Thanks for the advice so far! You guys are awesome.

This past weekend I practiced the run/walk for 15 on Sat and 15 on Sunday. I started out timing and then just switched to fast hiking the inclines. Saturday, my left quad was irritated and I was a little concerned, but by half way in, that had resolved. On Sunday, I had no pain at all in my legs , but I was just very tired. I reminded myself I wasn't as tired as I'll be in 4 weeks!

I also tried some new nutrition. I use Tailwind bc of the mild flavor; the sweet bars are starting to annoy me. So I cooked up some spaghetti on Saturday AM and put about a cup in each of two Ziplocks with some salt, garlic powder, and olive oil. It was AMAZING! Sat great on my stomach, tasted awesome, and lots of calories. Tried it again on Sunday and it went well.

I have 26/20 next weekend - my last long weekend. I'll try the spaghetti again, plus I'm going to make some onigiri rice balls. I'll continue to practice the run/hike.

And @Patrick Large, thank you for the reminder. It's definitely NOT just two 50Ks. And now I know I can finish this thing if I stay healthy. Now the goal is no injuries and avoid people so I don't end up as someone's Rona contact and in quarantine and not able to run!

• Options

@Leslie Knight great feed back, yes the second back to back day is often the better of the 2 , sometimes it starts out a little more tentative but ends up good, doesn't make sense does it? , the run/walk I think becomes more important on a flatter course where incline walking is limited, highly recommend doing it immediately at mile 1 and not waiting until you are tired, so many benefits of those mini breaks slowing HR just a tad, eating/drinking in control, and slight change of muscles, by all means walk inclines but keep on a schedule of short walks no matter what, it all turns into and incline later :-) At the Ultraman camp I attended in AZ last January , I ran with a woman on day 3 who was training for a Double Anvil (2x IM) she was doing a run 5' walk 30" plan for her 52 mile run after the 4.8 mile swim and 224 mile bike and went on to win the Double Anvil and set a course record. love the food experiments, late in the events I like potatoes , instant mashed potatoes, saltines, ramen.

• Options

@tim cronk

Wow, "5' walk 30" plan for her 52 mile run" and went on to win! Shit man, slow and steady.

• Options

@Leslie Knight Huge Congrats on Setting the goal, doing the work, executing, and finishing a 100k ! So impressive in normal times , off the charts in these non motivating days. Nailed it! :-)

Whats next?

• Options

Thank you!

I met my goals- good attitude throughout and no injuries. I had no time goal, but landed right In the middle of predicted. Could have shaved off a little with streamlined aid stations, but I wasnt concerned about that.

Next? Rest! Seriously, though. Idk. I'm tired of running, so will change over to biking. Thought about doing the tri challenge thing, but we're moving mid August, so I think I'll just chill. I need to lose my Covid 7, so I think I'll be focused more on body comp than performance.