Home General Training Discussions
Options

RE: Re: [Endurance Nation Community] Liz Hickox Official Coach Thread

(empty message)
Tagged:

Comments

• Options

HI...so, now what?

Shooting for Rim2 Rim 2 Rim mid-Oct, still have coeanside 70.3 10/30, but who knows.

Glanced at Ultra plans, I'd likelt do 'balanced' plan...

• Options

I think @John Withrow may have good input too

• Options

Thanks Scott...turns out my brother has a lot of experiuence doing this... I neverr thought to ask him!

• Options

@Coach Patrick , what program should I load? thanks!

• Options

@Liz Hickox Hey nice to see you back in here...you are so social I feel like we are always talking. But I can't forget about your plans. Should out to @Brenda Ross And @matt limbert for keeping me honest too.

The key question is how we can structure the plan to be half ready but heavy on the run? I am looking at success As a really great R2R2R experience with a swim taper and California Fun.

‼️Please see my notes below and if you agree, I can implement. ‼️

Part 1: 6/15 to 7/26/20 = 6 weeks ...

• Begin ramping the run
    • Add Core Strength
    • Bike Strength + Fun Volume as you like.

Part 2: 07/27/20 to 10/18 = 12 weeks ...

• UltraRun Focused
    • Week will contain 1 swim, recovery days, long rides as recovery, optional on recovery weeks.

10/19 to 70.3:

• Swim Focus To Recover / Regain
    • Bike as Recovery
    • Run Rest / Sharpen

This is a typical balanced Ultra Week...FYI.

• Options

@Liz Hickox the one thing I would add is that the Core Strength stuff that P- mentioned in "Part 1" could/should be continued all the way up to a couple weeks before your R2R2R. That will definitely help for your R2R2R, but will also help for a quicker recovery/transition to the 70.3 (and core stuf fin general would be good for the 70.3 even if you weren't doing R2R2R).

But in addition to normal core (planks, etc). I'd focus on glutes and impact stuff. Things like depth drops off of a short box are great to simulate the long downhill running. (Single most important exercise for Ultra stuff with downhills, IMO) One of my ultra-buddies started with like 3 sets of 20 and built all the way up to doing many sets of 50 and swore by it for his success.

then after a few weeks, build up to single leg depth drops

and can build up to depth drop jumps...

• Options

SUPER APPRECIATED!!!!! all of it...Thank you! and Yes, @Coach Patrick I'm cool with your plan...Leading up to this I've been running quite a bit ( before my epic face plant In Arcadia, of course) and have stuck with core and lower body ( thank you, TRX ;) So we shoudl be ready to rock! Thanks!

• Options

@Coach Patrick @matt limbert FYI. Liz ready for your recommendations.

• Options

@Liz Hickox I loaded the new Season Roadmap to your Final Surge calendar. I chatted with Coach Patrick about first few weeks. We would like to use the first few weeks of Durability for Triathletes 2 (4 weeks) and 3 (first 2 weeks) as a bridge.

We assume early swimming might not be on the table, but the run frequency is key. This first week will back (starting 15 June) will have to be light as you get back to moving. So give yourself some flexibility during those first couple of weeks. I modified all the runs for next week to be easy aerobic. Do what feels good. Drop us a note here and we can start to mix some different kinds of workouts once we know you are good to go.

Ultimately the goal is to build to five runs a week around 25 miles total for the week at the end of the four weeks. So that could mean 15, 18, 22 and 25, for example. Does that make enough sense?

Let us know what you think.

• Options

JUST seeing this; i dont hsv any workous ( that i can see!) in FS...

Prior to two weeks ago ( I wiped out running and tweaked my knee) I was running over 40 miles per week, 5 days a week of running...with long runs of 13 miles..and cycling days up to 100 miles...

This feels like a step back....

• Options

Hey @Liz Hickox This is what I see when I logged into your Final Surge account.

We were a bit concerned after your fall, so we did dial it back with some modifications to the plan just to be conservative. We can crank it back up to 11 🤣 if you are feeling up to it!

• Options

Sorry for the typos, I suck at typing..

Ok, makes sense! I just started running again...one very easy 5 m, and one 7 1/2 on trails ( was probably not the smartest, but ended up okay, thankfully!) Went well, Planning on going back to following EN plan, OK if I go over the bike times? have a ride this weekend with a few friends, between 50-100m

We got the options for IM Spain today...

Right now, I have Oceanside 70.3 10/24, and R2R2R 10/9-ish; One deferral option is Portugal...11/7/2020

Is this do-able, given the first two? ( If Oceanside even happens?)

Sorry for the confusion, hopefully I'm not the only one that's trying to piece it all together!

Thanks!!!

• Options

@Liz Hickox Great to hear from you. Yes, it is okay if you go over on the bike times. The bike is easier on the body, without the load bearing. So yeah, have at it. Ride all you want. Just a reminder though, fueling and hydrating during the ride are super key. Staying fueled and hydrated keeps is easier on the body and will make the recovery soooo much easier. Avoid the bonk! Avoid dehydration! 😁

R2R2R and IM Portugal double is tough. R2R2R requires a lot of run volume, but IM Portugal requires a lot of bike volume. It will be challenging to fit in all that volume to prepare for both. But, it also depends on your goals for each and how you want to prioritize them. Tell us more about what you are thinking in terms of the experience you are looking for and we will see what we can put together!

Let us know what you think.

• Options

Reply from Liz: "I feel like if I train for Portugal, I’ll be fine to just get through R2, I have no time goals for that other than the experience itself."

Coach Patrick is going to modify and blend the Ultra and IM Run Focused plans for you to hit these three races over six weeks. This is the idea:

We want to start, slowly rebuilding your run volume. We will start with the Balanced Durability Plan the next few weeks. This will include some biking (you can make those as long as you like). That will you up for the set up the Balanced Ultra plan and ultimately the Run Focused IM. We recommend laying into the run focus work now, with the balanced plan laid in and modified easing into using the Balanced Durabiltiy plan it for this week and next. Once once that is done, we can dial back, parts of the UltraBalanced plan that IM plan will solve for as of 8/17. Then we load in the IM Run Focused plan and do some re-organization work to make the weeks “click”….To spice things up, we can use “down” run weeks in the UltraPlan to do bigger bike work to fast track Portugal.

How does that sound?

• Options
    (empty message)
  • Options
    Liz, your last message reply to the plan was blank. Can you resend?