Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Chris Oubre Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 07/18/2020 Hotter than Hell Dusk to Dawn 10 hour race
  • 11/14/2020 Children of the Cane Ultra (50 or 100 mile) 

Your Notes

Former EN member. I was last active with the team in 2018 when I ran IM Texas and IM Boulder. Texas was a great race PR; I did NOT participate in the draft fest grrrrrr. Boulder showed me that I was not ready to race at altitude.

Training history

I started triathlon in 2012. Ironman Cozumel was the first race I ever signed up for. I gave myself 7 months to go from couch potato to Ironman. On the way to that race I had a stress fracture. I tried Cozumel anyway. I did not finish the swim. My average swim time was 2:35/100 yards in a pool. I was not prepared nor fit enough for the current that year. I went to the finish line and watched all of the other competitors cross the finish line and I knew that it wasn’t the course’s fault, it was mine. 

I then signed up for Ironman Texas and finished it five months later. When I signed up for Ironman Coeur d’Alene in 2014 I knew I needed help so I joined Endurance Nation.

I’ve never been happy during an Ironman or 70.3 swim. I usually hate my life. I’ve tried lots of things to get over this problem. I’ve listened to podcasts, attended masters swim programs. I’ve hired coaches for analysis sessions, etc... I haven’t solved this problem yet.

I vowed that I will not do another Iron-distance race until I’m at least comfortable with the swim. I planned to put myself in a 3-6 month boot camp of just swimming. I was going to swim 4-5 days a week every week. Unfortunately the only time I could swim was the afternoon and my kids are either to defiant/rebellious or too involved for me to be absent every afternoon.

As a result I have put off triathlon until my life makes space for me to crack the swim.

Because I really love long epic events I decided to get back into training and shoot for ultra runs. I started running again last June or July. I haven’t ridden my bike since 2018 but I’m looking forward to getting back into Zwift racing again. I love Zwift and miss it.

I've finished 4 Fulls and 9 halfs.

I love the half distance the most, but REALLY want to get to Kona (qualify or legacy)

Here is my Iron-distance race history.

Name Div. Gen. Ovr. Swim Bike Run Overall DPI

IRONMAN® Boulder 2018 - Jun 10

Chris Oubre M40-44 - US - #573 100 547 737 1:37:14 6:09:33 6:36:00 14:38:23 75.3

IRONMAN® Texas 2018 - Apr 28

Chris Oubre M40-44 - US - #2266 114 561 681 1:29:49 5:11:50 4:25:17 11:23:26 83.4

IRONMAN® 70.3 Augusta 2016 - Sep 25

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #283 32 114 143 33:58 2:36:23 1:49:01 5:05:10 91.8

IRONMAN® 70.3 Raleigh 2016 - Jun 5

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #220 57 339 425 1:00:24 2:37:14 1:59:44 5:43:48 83.3

IRONMAN® 70.3 New Orleans 2016 - Apr 17

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #207 30 194 232 58:55 2:30:56 1:49:15 5:24:52 88.2

IRONMAN® 70.3 Austin 2015 - Nov 8

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #355 78 458 552 49:35 3:05:44 1:48:23 5:49:28 86.7

IRONMAN® 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake 2015 - Jun 28

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #313 23 135 164 41:37 2:46:29 1:55:07 5:28:01 85.6

IRONMAN® 70.3 Texas 2015 - Apr 26

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #412 108 600 730 54:22 2:40:11 2:01:28 5:41:43 81.5

IRONMAN® Coeur d'Alene 2014 - Jun 29

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #1686 168 870 1097 1:41:14 7:14:26 4:48:56 13:56:37 77.5

IRONMAN® 70.3 New Orleans 2014 - Apr 13

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #126 62 322 387 44:31 2:52:34 1:54:26 5:37:52 85.9

IRONMAN® 70.3 Texas 2014 - Apr 6

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #916 138 650 790 49:47 2:41:57 1:51:08 5:32:48 82.8

IRONMAN® Texas 2013 - May 18

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #2019 221 996 1258 1:48:26 6:04:57 6:10:27 14:23:53 77.5

IRONMAN® 70.3 New Orleans 2013 - Apr 21

Chris Oubre M35-39 - US - #136 75 339 408 47:09 2:42:29 1:55:13 5:34:23 83.2

I've averaged 13.7 miles/week over the last 12 months. That includes three months of no running at all. ~ 20 miles/week since I started running again.

En route to the Marathon I was running ~ 30-40 miles a week.

I just completed a Marathon in March. I ran a PR of 3:59:11

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on April 13, 2020

• On 4/13/2020 Load the  -- UltraRun 50M / 100K Plan, Beginner/Intermediate [16 Weeks] to end on 7/19/2020 98 [ 14 weeks ]
  • On 7/20/2020 Load the  -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 8/2/2020  14 [ 2 weeks ]
  • On 8/3/2020  Load the  -- UltraRun 100M, Beginner/Intermediate [20 Weeks] to end on 11/15/2020 105 [ 15 weeks ]
  • On 11/16/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/13/2020 28 [ 4 weeks ]
  • On 12/14/2020 Load the    Durability Balanced Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 1/10/2021 28 [ 4 weeks ]

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Chris Oubre

Chris, Welcome! Super cool have you with us. I love that you have found another outlet and are tackling the ultra. We just had a webcast seminar with our members on ultra racing. We have several folks that have done Leadville, Moab 240, Javelina and few others. I can send you those links and make some introductions when you are ready or interested.

Here are a few things to do: 

#1 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

Here is the "How to Video": 

Once we know you are all set here. We can start to talking about the rest of your training!

I'll post a series of notes here to help you get started. You can also tell me what you are immediately interested in and I will point you in the right direction.

• We will talk about how to connect with team
    • Customize your workouts
    • Learn how to pace and race your best

Let's get after it! 👊

Talk you you soon,

Matt

Post a comment below or give me a GTG!, 😀,👍️ or 😳 and I will respond via email.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2020 1:47AM

@Coach Patrick Excited to be back. The only issue I'm having is left glute pain that is triggered from sitting for to long. Now that I'm working from home I don't have my awesome sit stand station :-(

@matt limbert I'd like to work some ABP biking into my training. I enjoy time on the bike a lot. Later I'd like to try a Zwift race every now and then because it really gets me excited and pumped!!

BUT... my races are my key priority.

One question on cadence. I've worked to get my cadence to ~ 180; however, the slower ultra pace makes me feel like I'm just shuffling my feet. Should I target a lower cadence?

• Options

@Chris Oubre We can definitely work in some ABP biking. Let's get a couple of weeks posted and see where you would like to work that in. Keeping the rest day in there is important. Maybe we can swap out some of the bike interval workout with ABP or a Zwift race?

Your cadence question would be a great forum post for our Ultra community.😎 Tag guys like Tim Cronk, Tim Sullivan, Patrick Large, Gabe Peterson, Clark Mitchell, and Steve Boer.

They did a Ultra Racing video seminar here.

Did you check out our Ultra page for other resources and guidance on ultra training and racing?

• Options

@matt limbert I do not see any ABP bikes on my schedule. What day(s) should I put them? Is there a balanced plan I should use instead or just insert ABP rides?

• Options

@Chris Oubre Put the ABP rides or Zwift race on Wed. Swap them for the hard run work. That Wed run is either a VO2 or Tempo style workout. Using a ABP ride or Zwift race will be a great way to get the aerobic intensity while reducing the load bearing work from running. The key to the ultra plan is consistency and the back to back weekend long runs so. Just insert those ABP rides or Zwift races yourself - that will give you some flexibility in format. The variety will be good to keep you engaged and excited.

• Options

@Chris Oubre -- hey man congratulations again on those long runs! That stuff is legit. I wanted to check in with you because of the pain report you submitted.

That IT band issue is a signal of a steep ramp, and something we need to pay attention to. This is common in the transition to a new program.... But it doesn't mean we can ignore it.

I suggest on this weekends long runs that you plan on inserting a three minute walking break after every 2 miles. Some people don't count that three minute break as time or distance, but that's up to you. All I'm looking for is a brief respite from running to avoid total stress there. Let me know how it goes.

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thank you for looking into my pain report. I'm really excited for this enhanced communication. I'm really pumped about that. This is a new EN experience for me.

I will definitely add in the walk breaks.

• Options

@Chris Oubre

Here are some other things to consider:

#2 Consider downloading the Final Surge App

You are already making great comments. This makes it way easier.

Download Final Surge | Mobile Apps Here

#3 Customize your workouts in Final Surge

Since you have already done the bike test. We will use your power during the test to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2.  We can do the same thing for the run. Once you do a 5k race we can use your average pace or heart rate to establish run zones too!

Here is a video on how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones. 

#4 Connect with the rest of the team in Join our GroupMe chat

GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat. Your new friends are waiting for you.

Download the GroupMe is an app and see what the Team is talking about. Pro tip: You can subscribe to these channels and mute the alerts. There is a lot of activity here and the alerts can get overwhelming. 😂

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

#5 See the big picture and explore ways to get smarter

See the big picture. Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Explore the Forums

All these topics are covered in our forums: Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game.

Search our Race Forum for race plans and race reports. Learn from the shared experience of the entire Team

Read the General Training Discussions and get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans.

Learn how to race like veteran. Dial in your race execution using EN race guidance

#6 Whew. You made it.

You don't have to do it all a once but, we would love it if you responded below. I'm here talk you through all of the above. I would love to hear from you. If any questions you have getting started - schedule a call with me here.

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

@matt limbert Epic post!

I see that there is a Zwift gift card but I'm not sure how to access it.

• Options

@Coach Patrick @matt limbert I've been using my high school stadium to get elevation on some of my runs. I'm not familiar with how much elevation I should be getting. How often should I do the stadium thing on my runs? How much elevation gain should I try to get each week?

• Options

@Chris Oubre I love it! Super creative 😎 and this option definitely lets you control elevation again week to week. Its like custom hills! How much elevation gain is in your races? What is one stadium trip give you in elevation? Is all stairs? We can work a progression of elevation into your training.

• Options

@Chris Oubre

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here. Don’t forget to check in on the Official EN Athlete Roadmap to see how you are progressing. 

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@matt limbert  There is near zero elevation gain in my A+ race (100m Ultra in November).  I get ~ 90' of gain per stadium trip.  Eventually I think I may want to do ultra's outside of Louisiana so that's why I started adding in gain.  I'm just looking for an idea of how much to put in for general build.

• Options

@Chris Oubre This is super helpful. How many trips are you currently doing? Any trouble with your knees or ankles doing those trips? Doing some of this work is going to build strength and help you out for the fall ultra. I have a few ideas that I'm running past Tim Cronk and our ultra folks. This would also be a great forum post and a great way to introduce yourself to the rest of the ultra community. Post your question in the "General Training" category. Give a quick background covering the questions we talked about here. Your race, your training so far, creative use stadium stairs at 90' a trip. Include how often and how much you do them now. Ask about progression? When? Beginning, End, Middle of a run? You can get a wide variety of experience and maybe incorporating some stuff too.

P.S. I thought they talked about elevation a little bit in this ultra seminar video.

• Options

@Brenda Ross  was that supposed to be a video?  or just an image of a video?

• Options

@Chris Oubre let try this again

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here. Don’t forget to check in on the Official EN Athlete Roadmap to see how you are progressing. 

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@Coach Patrick @matt limbert Chris Oubre update.

Confessional time: UltraMay destroyed my mojo and I haven't really trained since then. I've taken off the Hotter than Hell Dusk through Dawn ultra event in July and don't really know where I'm headed. My 100 mile ultra in November is far enough out as to not be certain one way or the other if I'll try for it.

I have to figure out how to solve the family/SAU thing. I sprung UltraMay on my family and missed the signals that they weren't ready. I had no buy in even though I finished something epic, because my family wasn't there or involved, it just felt like a hollow accomplishment. I won't go through that again.

I need to do something different. I'n the past I used to be successful incorporating more morning workouts than afternoon workouts. Since I stopped Ironman training in 2018 I've moved more of my workouts to the afternoon. I am going to try and change that back to the mornings.

Also if I can limit my weekend workouts to 2 hours all the better.

Can you help me craft fitness goals for 2020 and construct basic workout weeks that pull in 60-90 min weekday sessions and ~ 2 hour weekend sessions? Preferably biking and running? I really enjoyed the team aspect of UltraMay and I enjoyed the Sunday ABP rides of the past. One day I'd like to get to Kona but until then I just like to collect epic experiences.

If possible I'd like to try to that 100 mile run, if I can stay in the game till then. I understand that at some point I'll need to do back to back 3-4 hour run sessions when I get closer and that's ok. I just don't know if it's practical for me to do that from now till then.

I know that after UltraMay I'm not up for running my family through another ultra just yet.

Lost and rudderless,

- Chris

• Options

@Chris Oubre Hey Chris. Thanks for checking-in.😀 We would be stoked to help you craft some fitness goals for 2020 and put together a basic workout week to get you back on track in a way that fits with your family. I give you a lot of credit for reflecting on the Ultra May experience from both an athlete and family perspective. Sometimes we carried away and get out balance. It happens to everyone. FOMO is real! 🤦‍♂️The key is recognizing that you are out of balance and making those adjustments to get back in balance.

You have some good ideas: 60-90' weekday sessions, 2 hour weekend sessions. Focus on biking and running, and especially getting the workouts done in the morning. Which will leave you plenty of time to invest with the family. Winning!

What do you think about doing a short 6 weeks and target your FTP? This plan still has some running variety (long runs, tempo, and easy runs etc) and most of the weekday workouts are in the 60-90' range and no more than 2 hrs on the weekends. The primary focus is FTP bike boost using a 5' interval. Let's see what you can do in 6 weeks. Rack up some consistency and then decide what you want to do for rest of the summer once you got your balance and mojo back! 😎

Example: 5 x 5’ (5’) @ 110% FTP The 5MH targets 110% of your Functional Threshold Power; inside EN we do a great deal of work on your actual Threshold (Zone 4, 95% to 100% of FTP) and your VO2 (Zone 5, 120% of FTP). This “hack” targets the middle of these two areas. The goal here is to challenge your existing fitness with an effort that is challenging enough yet can still be integrated into a regular training week. There are plenty of other ways to get crazy strong on the bike, but few lead to your continued succes a triathlete -- a distinction that many miss when plotting cycling domination. The "hack" is designed to help you breakthrough an FTP plateau and is an early- or mid-season alternative for a boost to your FTP outside the OutSeason.

I loaded this plan into your Final Surge calendar for you to check out starting next week.

Let me know what you think.

• Options

I like it. Thanks for the focus

• Options
    Anytime. You got this!