Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Mark Hickman's Coaching Thread

Coach,

Posted race report at https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/24659/mark-hickman-im-fl-70-3-race-report/p1?new=1.

What now??  Short term, I'm racing a lot of sprints, but want to continue to building bike and run fitness and maybe hit the pool every now and then.  I'll be on Zwift a ton, I'm sure, and will look to sprinkle some running races in throughout the summer.  Big focus is on selling the house and moving for the Army out to join the PNW Sleeper Cell.  Not sure if I will race longer than Oly again this year, but keeping my options open.

Any thoughts?

Mark
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Mark Hickman - what a race. Super impressed you cracked up that bike with that run. It’s not easy to be smart at the start of your race but what a difference it makes!!!

id like you to have a month...two weeks rest-ish, 2 week’s active but no intensity. So early May is next transition.  I think the GetFaster (10wk) Plan would be great for you, and we can soup up as needed. Check over in the Training Plan Central page for details / preview and let’s discuss. 
  • Options
    Coach; thanks.  Looking forward to getting back to some structured training!  ...and appreciate the comments on cracking the code at Florida ~ it was great to push it a bit and see what I could do.  I continue to surprise myself, and it helps me to set some future goals.   Mallorca looked awesome; vacay'd there many years ago and really enjoyed the island.  Mark
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Ok, I built your year around VIC and CA, with CdA up in the air as it were. Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad thing if you had more time between those races to dial in some serious bike work / volume as a change from your traditional plan. Make sense? I am glad to hear you took a break; coming back isn't easy, but it's an important step (rest, then work) in terms of your overall progression. Take a look at the plans and let me know how I can help!

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Victoria (2019-06-02) #70.3Victoria_19
    • Ironma 70.3 Couer d'Alene (2019-06-30) #70.3CDA_19
    • Ironman 70.3 Canada (2019-07-28) #70.3Canada_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• On 3/11/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 6/02/2019
    • On 6/3/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 6/19/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 6/9/2019  Load the  -- EN Half RUN Focused  to end on 7/28/2019 (we'll do CDA along the way)
    • On 7/29/2019  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 08/25/2019
    • On 08/26/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 09/22/2019

Your Notes

Raced really well last year; great PR at FL70.3 in Apr 18, then short course stuff through July before moving out West. Got fat and lazy, but have been back at it pretty well for the last 4 months or so. Weight is coming off, fitness is better than expected. In week 10 of Jan OS. This is my 3 or 4th serious OS. Will do 1 to 3 70.3s this year, plus as much shorter course stuff as I can legitimately fit in.

Want to work forward as Victoria and CDA as A races; maybe Canada as well, but depends on Army requirements over the summer. Even CDA is up in the air for the moment, so Victoria is A:o)Ramping up the fitness pretty well. FTP test tomorrow after starting this year pretty close to where I started last year. Running 5-6 times a week. Just started swimming again today.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

• Here is the link to our Body Composition Course: Body Composition
    • Yes to body comp focus; winter is a great time to build up good habits; and Run Durability can help.

Your Races

• Other 05/02/2020 Ironman St. George

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 08/08/2019
    • Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 9/15/2019
    • On 9/16/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/29/2019
    • On 9/30/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/27/2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- OutSeason for Runners Plan, 14wks to end on 2/2/2020
    • On 2/3/2020  Load the  -- Swim Camp to end on 2/16/2020
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 2/10/2020 Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 5/3/2020
    • On 5/4/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/31/2020

Your Notes

Raced mostly Sprints to 70.3s over the last 5 years, but have completed 3 IMs (CDA 13/15, WI 14). So..it's a been a few years, but jumping all in to IMSG for 2020! Having a very solid training load year, and on track to crank out 4k bike, 1k run, and 200,000m swimming for 19. Maybe not a ton for everyone, but a lot more than usual for me. 70.3 HMs have been around 1:46 times. Bike FTP last tested at 282, but likely a bit lower right now. Swimming around 1:40/100m in the pool; just a touch slower in races.

Struggled to get weight down below 190 this year, and currently rolling at about 198.

Going to see if I can work with a fitter this winter to dial in my position a bit better, as I think I am riding way too high to maximize some aero advantages. Riding a 12' P2 with 60/90 Flos.I think I put most of that above. Still running 4-6 times per week, biking 2-3 times, and swimming 2 times. I try to race every weekend I can, but Sep 15 is last race of the year (Black Diamond Half in WA; this is kind of a PNW Sleeper Cell Team Race:o))

I plan to do some running races over the next few months (Maybe a 50K in Oct, couple halfs and/or full marathons), but not really so focused on time goals or specific race prep for these events. Really looking to see what my build to IMSG will look like. I know body comp needs to be a focus, and going to try and talk to a military dietician to help me with that.

Have some military exercises in Japan in early Dec for 2-3 weeks, so that could impact a OS plan...but I can deal with it as it comes.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Mark Hickman - Great to hear from you again and really looking forward to helping you out on the bike. Check out my video below and the other guidance I have in store for you…

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Augusta (2020-09-27) #70.3augusta_20
    • Ironman Memphis 70.3 October 3, 2020
    • Ironman Florida (2020-11-07) #IMFL_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 06/23/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 9/27/2020  [ 12 weeks ]
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 8/24/2020 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 11/8/2020  [ 11 weeks ]
    • On 11/9/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/6/2020  [ 4 weeks ]
    • On 12/7/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/3/2021   [ 4 weeks ]

Your Notes

3 IMs in past; last one in 2015; 2 or so 70.3s per year (2 @ around 5:15 last year), plus lots of short distance stuff. Life and stuff got in the way since around Sep 19. Just finished 75-day run streak w/ around 25 miles a week. Biking has been nonexistent until last few weeks, so way way behind. Assuming the go off, maybe Augusta 70.3 (effort depending on weather to go sub-5; haven't signed up yet), registered for Memphis 70.3 early Oct and IM Florida in November. I go to hunting camp in late Oct, so would miss some key weeks 2-4 weeks prior to IM. Really looking for something to get the bike going again while maintaining run fitness...haven't really ridden over an hour at a time yet. Needs some structure to get it going.running 11xweeks at around 25 miles a week; probably around 22:30ish 5k if I had to guess. Have ridden all of about 60 miles per week for 2 weeks...pretty much it for the year. Still waiting for the pool to open.

167 miles on bike 2020, 3000 miles in 2019, 2000 in 2018

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Mark Hickman Hey Mark, you are all set in Final Surge! 👊The season plan Coach Patrick laid out to get you ready for Florida are all loaded up! Time to get to work.

Before you get cranking, you will need to do a bit of tech work because your workouts are double posting in Final Surge. You are are getting twice the credit. 😁 Both Strava and Garmin are posting the same workout to Final Surge. This will make your Final Surge calendar super cluttered and make it hard for us/you to follow your training.

I would recommend going back into Final Surge and disconnecting Garmin from Final Surge. That way all your workouts will still post to Strava and then Strava will forward that workout to Final Surge. This will get you back to one workout, one Strava post, one Final Surge post. All will be right with the data world. 🤣

Here is a video of how to disconnect Garmin from your Final Surge account. Leaving Strava as your only sync to Final Surge.

Let me know here if you have an questions.

• Options

@Mark Hickman Hey it’s Coach Patrick, just want to see how things are going with you and how I can help. Hope you had a great Fourth of July!