Home Announcements 🎙
Options

2020 Build Your Best Bike Camp [5 Weeks 7/6/20+] - ROLL CALL

edited June 15, 2020 10:21PM in Announcements 🎙

You can find the registration form on le internet here: Best Bike Camp

This will be a 5-week camp that kicks off with performance testing (new via INSCYD) and then four more weekly installments of how to maximize your training in the areas you need most using Zwift. We are aiming for a unique combination of personalized info, systems learning and community. Should be a lot of fun and give you insights that you can use to improve.

‼️Here is a Sample Week to Consider

Week 1: Welcome and Testing

#1 Learn [Together] – Intro to testing and testing set up on Zwift.

We will do a kick off Session to e-meet the other campers and then a webinar on the INSCYD Testing protocols and what you can expect. Q&A session. This would likely be done in the evening, split for East vs West Coast if required. 

#2 Execute [Independent] – Testing workout to complete.

For this first week this will be your test protocol. It looks Like a 1', 5' and 20' interval set. Ideally done in Zwift for a controlled session, but you can do it where you like. You can do this anytime Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday on your schedule. 

#3 Discuss – Group discussion of workout, lessons learned, desired outcomes. By the time we meet, most of you should have your test results back. My thought is we could do a Meet Up ride in game while we discuss the test, answer questions about the protocol, next steps etc. 

We would repeat that ^^ over the course of the five weeks -- you learn together, execute on your own, and come together to either practice again (in Zwift?), do Q&A, etc. 

How we handle the third part is really group dependent...if you can't make it, we can record it and share out with you (same for all the session #1, etc).

How does INSCYD compare to WKO?

I like the visualization of the test data and charts. The software will show your lactate production rate, lactate combustion rate, fat and carb burning zones, max carb intake, and lactate accumaluation in mmol/l/min. That's a lot of fancy physiology terms, but it really shows us "how" your body responds and where there is room for improvement.

Here is a video presentation that explains the benefits we are interested in. I see INSCYD and WKO4 as complementary. I view INSCYD as planning tool. WKO4 is an execution tool. INSYCD provides a map. WKO4 is the dashboard. Once you have a healthy PDC in WKO4, then what? INSCYD helps with that next step. 

I'm hoping it also gives us a more understanding of the metabolic processes in your body and "how" your body fuels and responds to your power efforts. I think it has some potential and could help us guide your training approach and focus areas across a season and could help you get even more out of WKO4.

To be clear though, you don't get the software. Its only a coach license, so I could test you again (most frequent would be every quarter, but more likely 2x per year - in OS and Early RacePrep) as you go. 

I see Zwift as a great training tool and also a fun place to ride. Yes, we will talk about how to race more effectively on Zwift. But, we will also talk about how to chose the right race or course for the training effect you are looking for, how to use workouts, erg mode, draft, and yes, even how to use all the in game boosts and power ups to maximum advantage. BURRITO!!!! 🌯

So, yeah we will go over all the tips/hacks/etc to get the best racing, training effect, and most fun out of your time inside. And I know a lot of folks are riding more and more outside now, so I will also cover how to transition some of those Zwift indoor skills - outside! (If only the feather boost was available to me outside too!) 🤣

If you have any questions, please put them here!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    edited June 23, 2020 7:44PM

Here are the attendees as of 06/15/2020:

• Tom Glynn
    • Scott Giljum
    • Rory Gumina
    • Go Aono
    • Robert Sherwood
    • John Culberson
    • Derrek Sanks
    • Scott Liston
    • Ross Randolph
  • Options

Looking forward to some fun and learning - and getting better!

• Options

@Coach Patrick - I'm interested and had a few questions before committing. In general, how many workouts will we have each week? Will we need to complete workouts on specific days? Will this 5-week camp compliment or replace current training? Will there be space/available energy to run and swim throughout the week?

Thanks!

• Options

Perfect timing, Coach P... I'm in (West Coast)

• Options

@Derrek Sanks thanks for the questions. I’ll do my best to answer them, keeping in mind that I’m still flushing out the program as we go.

there will be one work out to do on your own and an optional workout to do together. At the minimum you should do the work out on your own so you can participate in the discussion, bonus if you can join the group for a session should that work for you.

I will be sure to ask what your current training is and I’ll do my best to map that out into your program. I have the on your own session specifically so that people can be flexible with their schedules.

I will be sure to ask what your current training is and I’ll do my best to map that out into your program. I have the on your own session specifically so that people can be flexible with their schedules. I view this as complementary unless you are open to replacing it with a 5 week bike block (again will depend on you).

Yes, you will be able to swim and run for sure this is not a program designed to crush you.

keep the questions coming!

~ Coach P

• Options

Roster updated...

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks! Signing up today.

• Options

My current Final Surge plan ends July 5, just bought a new bike, nearly Level 30 on Zwift ... seems like this was preordained. Count me in! West coast best coast.

• Options

@Ross Randolph @Scott Liston @Derrek Sanks -- W00T! Great to have you all here!!!

• Options

Hi everyone,

Excited to join you all for the camp and to learn from all of you!

Quick question: I have not signed up for WKO4 yet. I used a previous version, WKO3 I think, before I signed up for Training Peaks. Would it be good to sign up for this before camp? Are best practices of interpreting WK04 part of the instruction?

I know using Discord is important to camp. I've done Discord a little but have alot to learn. Patrick, you talked about your mic/speaker equipment in your VEveresting podcast but perhaps there already is a thread I can link to as pre-work for the camp to learn more? I'm willing to invest in the mic/speaker set up you referenced before camp, for example, to make sure I'm ready to go. Could you share the exact items you use?

For now, I am assuming that 70.3 Augusta happens on 9/27, so I also will still be swimming and running during camp.

Scott

• Options

Great question, Scott. I’ve relied on TP for decades, however, this may be an opportunity to learn a method to monitor and plan my training at the next level. I plan to use the forums to get familiar with WKO4 before camp.

• Options

It's going to be WKO5 - 4 is not going to be supported in the near future. They probably have an upgrade code.

My understanding is that you do not need WKO to be part of the group. Patrick is using a coaching version of Inscyd (https://www.inscyd.com/) and we just feed him data from our rides - probably peak power data and other key metrics.

• Options

@Coach Patrick , clarification from Camp Lesson 2 vid ... our lactate range/ceiling is derived from the 3min and 6min tests ... so does that mean we can only expect to hold/"tolerate" that range/ceiling of lactate for that same timeframe (eg. 3-6min) ... and then have dip below FTP/threshold to start clearing?