Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions
Options

Work:Rest Ratio Coach Lesson [July 2020]

Time for another monthly Coach Lesson! Once a month I sit down and hold court on a particular topic of interest. Sometimes it's based on the season, sometimes it's based on new lessons learned, sometimes new research. All of these lessons are conducted live, women posted online under the learning section of the website for your future reference.

July 2020 is all about managing the Work:Rest Ratio on a day-by-day basis so you can stay healthy and continue to see gains.

This session was pre-recorded due to a scheduling conflict so please put your comments, questions and feedback below the video! πŸ‘‡

Comments

• Options

Great topic @Coach Patrick and really insightful. I'm always surprised at how much fluids we lose on a hard workout (especially with the heat and humidity) and the effort it takes to replenish to baseline.

In your nutrition section you talk about 0.8g of carbs per kg of weight and 0.2g of protein to consume within 30 mis of the workout. I assume that this is a minimum ? for example if you exercise right before breakfast or lunch or dinner you need to ensure you have at least have these amounts of carbs and protein in your meal to drive your recovery but if you have more (as long as they are good cards and not pasta Alfredo) as part of a meal it is okay, am i understanding correctly? or does this come on top of your normal nutrition for the day excluding exercise?

• Options

@Coach Patrick Great lesson and a great reminder! Thanks Coach!

• Options

@Vincent Sivirine - yes, if you are bundling your recovery and nutrition into a meal, then we want to make sure the composition of the meal is OK and you can go above and beyond those numbers according to your dietary needs. More often than not, athletes don't always turn workouts into proper meals. It ends up being more of a dash and grabs scenario, which is why making sure you are hitting the basics of the recovery nutrition is critical.

@Jonathan Benson - thanks so much! Hope you and the family are doing well.