Homeβ€Ί Community Forum 🏠
Options

Vermont Bikepacking camp - THE 2020 Event

Folks - I had been toying with the idea of an epic (600+ mile circumnavigation of Vermont on gravel this August as something that would be a "tweener" training kick start after IMLP & before an unchosen Fall ironman event. It's clear to me that 2020 is likely not happening at all for any events. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but just being realistic.

Thus I am going to plan on doing this in a more realistic 280 mile version that will hit the plethora of awesome breweries in Northern Vermont. The route will essentially be the one higlighted in these two articles

https://www.outsideonline.com/2263066/bikepacking-through-vermonts-beer-trailhttps://bikepacking.com/routes/green-mountain-gravel-growler/

This makes sense on a lot of levels. Huge way to gain fitness through daily repetition of cycling epic roads, epic views and epic brews. It's something to target needing fitness for. Let's face it, many of us don't do well staying on the fitness wagon if there is no goal event to train for. Lastly the camping element allows us to practice safe social distancing skills and avoid hotels. That said, if conditions allow, I am all for seeking VT B&Bs on our path.

Aside from a gravel bike, we'd all need 1person tents, sleep kit and other camping gear to ensure ability to keep food, etc separate, the sleep gear is rentable from REI, but the bikepacking gear is not. Some is available used on FB and other places.

I could also see a scenario playing out where we have a Sag person along with us who's car we can load up and just enjoy the riding whether road or gravel.

I'd like to encourage other groups to form around the country and create similar events. I am personally targeting late August through mid-september (assuming leadville gets cancelled). It would be great to have an "EN goes wild" week/long weekend, where many of us share this experience remotely around the country.

I'd like to hear interest, comments, experiences and suggestions for this idea

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

IF Kona gets cancelled/postponed, I could see this...What I'd really like to do is come to New England and tackle it with you. Baring that, I'm sure we can find something here to attract the like of @Jenn Edwards @robin sarner @Mark Maurer @Sid Wavrin et al in the the Great PAC NW.

• Options

I'm looking for almost anything at this point! Please keep me posted.

• Options

I'm interested as well. We're toying with the idea of deferring IM Canada to 2021 regardless.

• Options

following *not specifically for this event, but looking at a first bikepacking adventure this summer with my son.

• Options
    edited April 23, 2020 11:53AM

@Al Truscott It would be great to have you. I am sure you can load up your vehicle with some of the En folks in the PNW or pick some up along the way!!

for anyone considering this. I'd like to pick dates by the end of June. Also, since there is a big gear up involved in this, I'd recommend checking out the GCN bikepacking videos, search em up.

also, you don't need a gravel bike, a good MTB (preferably a 29er) can be used as well. Might be worthwhile to swap out knobby tires for something less aggressive and you have to severely reduce your mileage ambitions, The goal is x hours a day in the saddle.

If we can get a bunch of people interested in a group purchase (say 10?) I'd happily approach some of the pack companies, light weight tent cos, etc and see if we can do a group purchase.

• Options

Might be interested.

in a Sag version. Any trip back East I have to visit mom. She could be a driver ?

certainly a PNW thing also would be good. @Al Truscott Something like this? 1-2 nights on John Wayne trail. Start North Bend. End up Columbia River. Then back.

Some folks need to get a gravel bike. @Jenn Edwards ? Or we can handicap the stronger folks by having them use mountain bikes.

• Options

Love all the west coasters here, @Larry Peters heres the thread I mentioned in the camp GroupMe. It would be great to get this together.

I am in process of buying up lightweight backpacking gear to do some trips with one of the twins this summer if anyone is interested, I cannn no pony you to some Fb groups

• Options

"@Al Truscott It would be great to have you. I am sure you can load up your vehicle with some of the En folks in the PNW or pick some up along the way!!"

I just pictured a VW bus loaded with people!!

Sounds like good times!

• Options

Thanks for tagging me @scott dinhofer !! If it happened before classes start 08/26, I would be interested. Would have to check with new GF, this would be totally up her alley, but she is focused on fall marathon PR, so not sure she can get away for a whole week with minimal running. We both have gravel bikes would need bike backing gear.

• Options

for those of you considering this trip or your own backpacking adventures, here's a series of some short videos starting with this one

if you go with a sleep system as he's recommending you can get the Outdoor Research Helium Bivvy for 25% off now. if you are already a customer of OR, keep watching for sales, you should be able to get this for around $135.

no rush, but the sleeping bag he recommends is only $90, it's a good product & ridiculously cheap. I just recently got a used Western Mountaineering Hilite for around $240 used (it's a $500+ bag) for comparison

I recently bought a sleeping pad on www.theclymb.com - goal here is to get something around 18oz or less.

• Options

@scott dinhofer count me in! I just found a frame pack and larger saddle bag on Banjo Brothers for cheap. I'm also thinking of trying it out on the BRP at some point soon... but I wouldn't camp. I was thinking of finding B&B along the way... ideally for showers and washing my kit(s).

• Options

@Emily Brinkley - the issue may come down to if there is a B&B to stay near where we are. Northern VT can be remote. I am leaving it up to the group to decide once we have date/people/itinerary set.

target here is going to be late august/early september. But open to suggestions.

I am also a fan of a B&B for at least a few nights.

• Options

bumping this up since the date is fast approaching. As of now, there are 3-5 people +2 others that will potentially SAG us and drive the route. Rumor has it that @Coach Patrick is threatening to come!

Rally in Burlington VT on Friday night 9/11 - Hotel TBD. We are planning on camping every other night, with the ability to hit a local B&B or motel for those that so desire.

the current thinking is that this is a 5 day trip, but with the car there is the possibility of dropping people back in Burlington a day early, or at the beginning of camp, have their cars parked at the night 4 destination.

Goal is to enjoy 5 days of VT's most awesome gravel and breweries with the emphasis on fun!

note this ride can be done on a gravel bike or a mountain bike if you so choose.

please ask questions!