Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Linda Johnson Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Hi, I am returning from a hip injury that happened last 2016 after competing in Ironman Cozumel 2016. I have been doing cycling and swimming to keep my fitness, but the running I have to take in stride. I have been doing better lately, so I have signed up for the 70.3 Whistler IM on July 29th. I am ready to start my training and realize that I have to be more patient with myself, as my running isn't what it used to be. While I usually compete to place in the top 5, I may have to listen to my body more and back off when my hip hurts. I'm ready to give my triathlon season a try again. 

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Canada (2018-07-29) #703Canada_18 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

Last updated by Coach on 02/05/2018

• On 2/5/2018 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 5/13/2018 [Do L1 workouts]
  • On 5/14/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 5/27/2018
  • On 5/21/2018 Load the EN*Half to end on 07/29/2018
  • On 7/30/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 08/12/2018
  • On 8/13/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/9/2018
  •  

Coach Notes

First, here is my coach video for you: Watch It Now

Second, here is what I mean by the three phases of Run Focus for you:

• OS Phase 1 = 3 or 4 runs a week, most of them short like 2 to 3 miles. I'd like a day between runs. 
  • OS Phase 2 = 4 runs a week, 2 of them at 2 miles, 1 at 4 miles, 1 at 6 miles (?).
  • OS Phase 3 = 5 runs a week, 2 of them at 3 miles, 2 of them at 4 miles, 1 at 6 miles.  
That last one is a 20 mile week!!!

Third, you can do a bit more swimming or strength or flexibility work now that you won't be running so much (so early). So please let me know which one you pick and we can go from there. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited August 16, 2019 11:47PM

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 05/26/2020 CaPITAL CITY 1/2 MARATHON
    • Ironman 70.3 Couer d'Alene (2020-06-28) #70.3CDA_20
    • 08/30/2020 IM Penticton  

Your Notes

Ironman Cozumel 2016 11:44, Ironman Whistler 2014, 12:48, Challenge Penticton 12:14, a few 1/2 IM.s Clearwater , Florida, Couer de Alenne IM 12;28. I am returning from two years after an injury. I think I tore my labrum in my hip, but feel stronger and rested and I am ready to start from scratch again at age 53. Ive been swimming a little, hiking, and biking some, not a lot of running though.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on August 16, 2019

• On 8/19/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/15/2019
    • On 9/16/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/13/2019
    • On 10/14/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/10/2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/2/2020
    • On 2/3/2020  Load the    Swim Camp to end on 02/16/2020
    • On 2/17/2020 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 6/28/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 08/30/2020
    • On 8/31/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 09/27/2020</p>

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
    • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
    • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
    • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
    • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
    • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
    • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
    • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
    • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

• Options

Linda, Welcome back!

I'm Matt and I'm here to help make your first 30 days as easy as possible. 

I'll help you get up to speed with what has changed inside Endurance Nation. I'll help with your plan, your basic schedule, workout terminology, and all of our resources. I'll send some links to articles, forums or coach videos that apply to your training. I encourage you to look around and let me know what you are interested in. There are ton of videos, coach lessons and forums that are available to you in the first 30 days

First, here are some easy steps to get the most out of your training plan, Coach Thread, EN learning library and Final Surge. Get smarter to get faster.

Again, Power user tip! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when respond. It keeps the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when you get a response in your Coach thread. See video here:

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.) Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It's super easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

You can also setup Final Surge to send you emails with your workouts every day.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

I look forward to hearing more, helping learn more about training and racing as you build your fitness.

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Talk with you soon.

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

Linda, How can I help you get started again?

• Options

Linda, nice job getting started this week. Glad to see your workouts are posted. You did great on Monday - get as much running in as you can. If you feel the need to walk - take it. You will see your progress each week in increased distance covered overall and in your post workout comments. Nice work.

• Options

@Linda Johnson Great to talk today. I have added a not to your plan about connecting...and I think we should at least connect online in Final Surge towards Mid-Oct to see how you are progressing and whether or not it's still a good time to transition to the OutSeason®. Remember, this will be in the Final Surge inbox:

~ Coach P

• Options

@Linda Johnson Check it out! Comparing your Monday tempo runs from this week and last week - you ran faster this week, with a lower heart. That's awesome! ~Matt

• Options

@Linda Johnson Linda, do you want to talk goals for this Run Durability Phase? Chat me up here or schedule a call here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1  - if those times don't work for you. Let know what does.

~Matt

• Options

@Linda Johnson Great to have you back on the Team at the TeamEN level; I am re-opening this thread so we can all work together from the same page for the remainder of the 2020 season!

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Couer d'Alene (2020-06-28) #70.3CDA_20
    • Ironman Canada (2020-08-30) #IMCanada_20 Ironman Penticton August 30, 2020  

Your Notes

I have been competing in triathlon for 12 years. I took 4 years off after having an impingement injury in my hip. I have been doing some runing about three times a week along with a swim and a couple of spin classes here and there. I am on the off season plan bike focus plan now to get strong again for my Ironman in Penticton August 30, 2020. My last Ironman was Cozumel 2026 and I placed second with a time of 11:44;44. My 70.3 times are around 5;45-6;00, I am excited to return to the sport and the team

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on January 13, 2020

• On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 04/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 6/28/2020
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 6/8/2020  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 08/30/2020
    • On 8/31/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 09/27/2020

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
    • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
    • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
    • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
    • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
    • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
    • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
    • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
    • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

• Options

@Linda Johnson

Just checking in. How are things going?

• Options

@Linda Johnson

To get your Zwift rides recorded you need to use Strava.

Step 1 - Make a free Strava account (if you don't have one yet)

Step 2 - Link your Garmin Connect account to Strava (if you haven't already)

Step 3 - Disconnect Garmin from Final Surge

Step 4 - Connect Strava to Final Surge (instead of Garmin)

This way all your Garmin and Zwift rides will go to Strava and then Final Surge.

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload -> disconnect

• Options

@Linda Johnson

Re: FTP and Zwift. You can do one of Zwift's special FTP tests. They can be found in the workout section when you logon.

OR

You can do a short race. Go as hard as you can for 20' sustained. Then manually enter your FTP into zwift by logging into your profile account on the Zwift desktop / website version.

• Options

@Linda Johnson

From Chat. Thanks for checking in.

Linda, Nice work staying safe. Its so hard to tell what will happen with these races. IM Tulsa (31 May) was just cancelled. That is the farthest we know right now. We have couple of options and each has an audible:

#1 Finish OutSeason + Audible. You can finish the Outseason in 3 more weeks and then we can make a decision on the next training block because we might know more about Coeur d'Alene 70.3. You have some good momentum in these last 2 weeks and it would be great to finish this OutSeason work because this is a great time to work on the bike intensity, run durability, and less swimming. If the race is on - we will switch over to the HIM 70.3 program and do the last 10 weeks. You will only miss 2-3 weeks of the race specific HIM plan and the transition from the OutSeason is totally doable. If the race is off, we can transition to a bike specific block for 6 weeks and then do a full 12 weeks of IM race specific work for for IM Penticton. 

#2 Switch now to HIM plan + Audible. You could switch now to the HIM plan and then wait to see what happens with the race. If the race goes. Great! If the race is canceled we can switch to the bike focused block and build some volume and then transition to your IM race specific training for IM Penticton. This option potentially switches plans more often.

What do you feel more comfortable with?

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator

P.S. I post this reply to your Coach Thread too. ​

• Options
    Great advice Matt!  I think I will switch over to the 1/2 IM plan this Monday and hope for the best.  If it’s canceled I will go to the full plan for Penticton.  Thanks for responding.  Either way, my training has been keeping me sane in between cleaning, cooking gardening and staying home.   Have a great day!
    Linda Johnson 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, March 28, 2020, 2:36 PM, matt limbert wrote:

|
    |
    matt limbert mentioned you in Linda Johnson Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

@Linda Johnson

From Chat. Thanks for checking in.

Linda, Nice work staying safe. Its so hard to tell what will happen with these races. IM Tulsa (31 May) was just cancelled. That is the farthest we know right now. We have couple of options and each has an audible:

#1 Finish OutSeason + Audible. You can finish the Outseason in 3 more weeks and then we can make a decision on the next training block because we might know more about Coeur d'Alene 70.3. You have some good momentum in these last 2 weeks and it would be great to finish this OutSeason work because this is a great time to work on the bike intensity, run durability, and less swimming. If the race is on - we will switch over to the HIM 70.3 program and do the last 10 weeks. You will only miss 2-3 weeks of the race specific HIM plan and the transition from the OutSeason is totally doable. If the race is off, we can transition to a bike specific block for 6 weeks and then do a full 12 weeks of IM race specific work for for IM Penticton. 

#2 Switch now to HIM plan + Audible. You could switch now to the HIM plan and then wait to see what happens with the race. If the race goes. Great! If the race is canceled we can switch to the bike focused block and build some volume and then transition to your IM race specific training for IM Penticton. This option potentially switches plans more often.

What do you feel more comfortable with?

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator

P.S. I post this reply to your Coach Thread too. ​
  • Options

@Linda Johnson

If you need help with the plans let me know. 😎

The Full plan would start 7 June ish. It is 12 weeks.

Options:

-Complete the HIM race specific block and race!👊

-Complete the HIM race specific block and replace the race with a big, multi hour ride (you will do several of these during the Full training block. So, its like a preview. 💪

-If you find out early, and want to increase the volume we have that option to do 1-6 weeks of bike volume before you start the Full race specific block. 🚴🚴🚴

Think about it and let us know, Matt

P.S. Those are all great ways to stay sane. Positivity is a super power!

• Options

@Linda Johnson Just bumping you here so you can work with @matt limbert On the best path forward. Matt, Linda currently has two overlapping plans in her FS account that's causing some confustication!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Linda Johnson

Got your note from the EN site chat. You are all set!👍

OutSeason until 12 April. Then HIM Bike Focused leading into Coeur d'Alene June 28. I'm make that note in your Coach Thread too. Remember we have some audible options if we need to.

Consistency is your biggest game changer. If you are short on time, warm up and shorten the main set. If you are really, short, the aerobic time in. Make a note on that workout and set a goal for next week. The longer weekend bikes and week day split runs become more important in this next HIM block. Post anytime here or in your Coach Thread.

Talk to you soon,

Matt

• Options

@Linda Johnson

Thanks for filling out the survey! You rock too! 😎

You might be interested in connecting with the rest of the Team on GroupME - our group text. Or customizing your workouts with zones.

GroupMe

GroupMe is an app you can download to your smartphone. The 24/7 channel is good for mojo and the latest talk about training and racing. Like did you see Ironman announced a virtual race series - with Kona slots and everything. There are also groups for just running and Zwift. Coach Patrick is in there most days.
    There is a lot of banter, so I typically mute it so I don't get constant alerts. But, then scroll through it for fun and comment once in a while. You can download the app an give it a shot. Use these links to join.

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

Customize.💪

You can customize your workout zones if you want.

Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (video link):

Check in anytime.

Matt

• Options

@Linda Johnson

Linda,

Thanks for filling out our survey! 😀

We're stoked that you are happy too! 😂😀

Nice work on your Half-Marathon a few weeks ago. You executed really well. The data looks great. Your pace was steady the entire time, your heart rate rose slowly over the entire event. Even with a slight uphill finish. Looked great. How did it feel?

Since, you are doing a lot of running lately I thought you might be interested in Coach Patrick's current Coach Lesson video on Run Durability. Thanks again with the survey.

Would love to hear more about that run,

Talk to you soon,

Matt

• Options

@Linda Johnson I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

I see your Half Plan ends this weekend with a vegetable extravaganza!!! 🤣I am Glad to hear that you have a good hobby in place to keep you busy and active during these crazy times. The Fall is when we transition to Durability as part of our Preparation Phase (videos here).

. Since you're interested in swimming, I recommend you follow our balanced durability plan, which alternates run and bike focused weeks. We can then add swimming on top of that which I've done for you. The plan extends for eight total weeks, which point we will need to decide what year 2021 season will look like (you can submit a roadmap here). Depending on the race we might have you start or wait on the Outseason.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks.

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: I would like to stay fit but not sure what plan as I don’t have a race to train for. I have been gardening and harvesting on my farm. I’ll be more able after next week to get back to swimming biking and running. Now, I’m wheel barreling vegetables.

Extra help request: I would like to start doing swim workouts twice a week.