Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Patti Thompson Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

edited September 21, 2020 4:45PM in New Member [First Month]

@Patti Thompson -

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

Have done Eagleman last year (using EN programs) then sort of slacked off, have been on and off dealing with PF/PTT in right leg for some time now.  It is manageable but right now my running mileage is almost nonexistent.  Have made a lot of life changes in the past 6 months, started a new job and bought a house, but love the routine of training so I signed up for an Ironman to "scare myself" into consistent training.Riding about 2 hours/weekly.  Running (walking) about 5 miles a week.  Swimming one hour per week.

Your Races

• 7/7/2018 HITS Kingston NY
  • 7/22/2018 NJ State International 
  • Ironman Louisville (2018-10-14) #IMLou_18

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on May 7, 2018
  • On 5/7/2018 Load the Beginner Short Course, 20wks to end on 7/22/2018
  • On 7/23/2018 Load the EN*Full to end on 10/14/2018
  • On 10/15/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/11/2018
  • On 11/12/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/9/2018

Coach Notes -- Watch the Video Here

The goal with your return is to leverage your Short Course races as a tool to develop good training habits and frequency. No one workout matters that much, but the overall consistency of the whole process does. 

Modifications per my video above are:

• Bike as you like for intervals, they will help.
  • Get the bike going longer and steadier on the weekends 2 to 3 hours, nothing hard, just to get "back" on the longer workout train. 
  • Keep run intensity WAY DOWN in the TRP range. 
  • Swim as you see fit to "fill" the non running time right now. 

Coach Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?
  • If you'd like to talk, please set up a Welcome Call with me here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Thank you Coach P!  A lot to take in here, so I'm just taking it a day at a time.  I've loaded my schedule in TP and I have made notes of your recommendations regarding intensity, etc.  I've eliminated the half iron from my schedule (I didn't do the homework over the winter in order to be ready for it so I'm fine with that decision). 

I think just working on building consistency will go a long way and then as you say, I will worry about increasing my intensity.

As for my homework:  (1) 2018 will be a success if I finish IM Louisville!  (2) My biggest limiter for sure, is my run. 

I will work on setting up a call if you like, but I am probably better with the written word and you can be sure I will pepper you here with questions as they arise.

I am looking forward to moving forward!  Thanks again!

Patti 

• Options
    That’s a great call on the half, I think it’s the right way to go. No need to get on the phone, you know I’m here and I’m watching. Let’s get that consistency locked in so all the dominoes start to fall in the right order
  • Options
    @Patti Thompson 

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Mon & Fri each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I have been doing strictly aquabike races this season, my focus being the Olympic distance, which I have done 2 so far this season.  My first "A" race is in 2 weeks at Cranberry Trifest in Massachusetts.  It is an oly aquabike and Northeast USAT regional champs.  My next race is a "B" race on September 29 a local championship race and then my Big "A" race is AquaBike Olympic distance Nationals in Miami on November 11.  Then in 2019 I start back to building on my run and prepping for Ironman Louisville (my first one!)Swimming about 3 hours a week and riding 2.5 to 3 hours weekly.  

Your Races

• 08/26/18 Cranberry Trifest Olympic Aquabike
    • 09/29/18 Local Championships
    • 11/11/18 USAT Aquabike Nationals

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on Final Surge as needed. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 08/14/2018
    • Follow the Half Aquabike Plan to end on 11/11/2018. 
    • On 11/12/2018 load the Post Half Iron plan to end on 11/25/2018.
    • Connect with Coach Patrick for next steps!

Coach Notes

I adjusted your plans in Final Surge to include Cranberry and your local Champs as well; and cleaned up what you had put in there. 

Remember the 2018 plans have "Ability Level Choice" in the main set. Level 1 is Beginner, Level 2 is Intermediate and Level 3 is Advanced...I'd recommend trying level 2 and seeing how that works out for you. 

Please set up a welcome call with me here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min  so we can discuss any edits and/or questions you might have.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Okay, got it and thank you!  It is taking me a bit to get used to Final Surge but I will work on it.  Also, this week I am without my TT bike only have a mountain bike until Friday!  
  • Options
    OK, please let us know if you have any questions.

Mountain bike only means permission to have fun, right?
  • Options
    Ah, jeez, I never thought of myself as type "A" triathlete and all but the fact that I wont have power numbers on the mountain bike sort of freaked me out for a sec.  So yes, I guess this will be about having FUN!  Thanks Coach!
  • Options

@Patti Thompson Welcome back!!!

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

•  Your Top Event / Race for the Season is: USAT Age Group Olympic Nationals (Triathlon 1500m/40k/10k) (August)
    • Your Second Event / Race for the Season is:USAT Age Group Sprint Nationals (Triathlon 750m/20k/5k) (August)
    • Your Third Event / Race for the Season is:Kinetic Half (Triathlon 1.2 miles/56 miles/13.1 miles)(May)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 09/21/2020

• On 9/21/2020  Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  10/18/2020 27 [  4    ]  weeks    ]
    • On 10/19/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/15/2020 27 [  4    ]  weeks    ]
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 11/2/20 Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks  to end on  02/07/2021 97 [  14   ]  weeks    ]
    • On 2/8/2021  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  2/21/2021  13 [  2    ]  weeks    ]
    • On 2/14/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  5/7/2020  83 [  12   ]  weeks    ]
    • On 5/8/2020  Load the    Short Course, 20wks INT to end on  08/07/2020 91 [  13   ]  weeks    ]
    • On 8/8/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  08/21/2020 13 [  2    ]  weeks    ]

Your Notes

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Patti Thompson Welcome back! Let's do this.

Let's get you back to running consistently! 🏃‍♀️

We would love to get you into our Group Chat for running. We are building some serious momentum wiht our new group chat - Geneva. It would be great to have you in there. Folks have been sharing pictures and their run streak numbers. They only talk running and workouts so its super fun to connect with other folks just about running. No other noise. Here is your invite.

I loaded all the plans into Final Surge to get you to the Kinetic Half in May.

I scheduled a Coach check-in during your swim camp block on Feb. That will give us a chance to catch up and program your final race specific blocks the Kinetic Half and then Age Group Nationals! 🏅 We can talk about how you want to structure your weeks.

To get you started, I followed the pattern you already set with the Wed start of the week. That gives you the easier day mid-week. It does shift the longer rides that were on the weekend to other days.

You can move those workouts around yourself - or if you want the week to start on Monday like we have done in the past we can make that change.

Take a look and let us know what you think.

Hope to see you in Geneva or chat here soon