Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Keirsten Lake Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Kiersten, sounds like you are in a good place with a basic schedule and the running. I recommend we dive into your full plan so we can get you in a good place with some race-specific training. You should be able to hit the bike and swim as written, but I recommend you be cautious with the run volume (long run) and run intensity. We don't need that speed work to be successful; the frequency of TRP pace running is usually quite effective. 

When you get a chance, please set up a call with me so I can go through the transition with you! https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Arizona (2018-10-21) #703Arizona_18 
  • 12/09/2018  Indian Wells La Quinta 70.3

Your Notes

I have not raced for a almost a year.  I have been focused on family and work.  Big life changes.  I am a Cycle Instructor and I teach 16 classes a week with Sundays off.  I have been trying to follow a rough plan to get me up to race speed and feel great.  Can get the swim in fine.  Bike is on point.  Run is finally there with a couple half marathons under my belt this year!!  Stoked.  Cycling 20-24 hours a week. 

Running roughly 20+ miles a week easily.  

Swim 3 times a week.  

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on August 2, 2018
  • Load the 2018 EN*Half Bike Focused Plan to end on 10/21/2018
  • On 10/22/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 11/04/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 11/05/2018 Load the EN*Half Bike Focused Plan to end on 12/09/2018 (repeat final weeks or connect with Coach P)
  • On 12/10/2018 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 12/23/2018
  • On 12/31/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 01/27/2019

Coach Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hi coach!  I don't know how this got lost, but I am also planning on doing Superfrog 9/16/18.  I have done it in the past and it is so much fun...and for a GREAT cause.  I would appreciate you helping me rework the Training Plan including that race as well.  Sorry if I left that out originally
  • Options
    @Kiersten Lake -  no worries, sometimes when people submit their races the survey doesn’t capture everything. Inserting super frog into your build is not an issue; you have the fitness!

We have guidance for how to do that in the wiki. If you were in final surge then I could make the edits myself but this is the next best thing: http://bit.ly/2OIYhTp

Remember That after you do the race you want to take that Sunday off and maybe just swim only on Monday so you are recovered. 
  • Options

@Kiersten Lake - I got your message on the website, but I wanted to update you here on the form so we have a record. My apologies if I'm duplicating anything with this process. By moving Hawaii to later in the year, the race directors have giving you a chance to do some more unique training. Here's what I'm thinking:

• On 3/30/2020 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 05/10/2020  [ 4  ] weeks
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 4/27/2020 Load the    EN Half Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 05/24/2020  [ 4  ] weeks
    • On 5/25/2020 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 08/16/2020  [ 12  ] weeks
    • On 8/17/2020 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 08/30/2020  [ 2  ] weeks

I can't see you on our Final Surge Plan right now, but if you need help loading those up, please let us know!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Kiersten Lake - OK, I got your other message about the change in your race moving to October. 2020 is officially the year of changing. This is fine, we can deal with it. On the upside, you are just wrapping your early season prep volume period.

We can transition nicely off of the small bump into a bike focus plan and then submit season speedway. Those will complement your volume games with the first plan, and then add some speed in the second. Then we can transition back to the usual 12 weeks to your race.

It will look like this:

• On 5/25/2020 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 7/5/2020  42 [ 6 weeks ] weeks
    • On 7/6/2020  Load the    Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 8/16/2020 42 [ 6 weeks ] weeks
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 8/17/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 11/22/2020 98 [ 14 weeks ] weeks
    • On 11/23/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 12/6/2020 14 [ 2 weeks ] weeks
    • On 12/7/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/3/2021  28 [ 4 weeks ] weeks

For some reason your final surge account was disconnected from Endurance Nation so I can't load these training plans right now until tech-support gets back to me. Here is the outline that I have for you and I will make this happen as soon as I get clearance. If you have any questions or feedback for me, just put them right here in this post. I hope you are healthy and safe.

~ Coach P

• Options

@Kiersten Lake @matt limbert - since we got a late start on adding final surge to the program, I have pushed back the bike focus plan by one week. Setting it to start on June 1 in the app. This means it will end one week later, and that the go faster plan will be reduced by one week. I have put the updated schedule below.

KL you have the login and p-word in your inbox!

• On 6/02/2020 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 7/12/2020   [ 6 weeks ] weeks
    • On 7/13/2020  Load the    Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 8/16/2020  [ 5 weeks ] weeks
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 8/17/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 11/22/2020  [ 14 weeks ] weeks
    • On 11/23/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 12/6/2020  [ 2 weeks ] weeks
    • On 12/7/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/3/2021  28 [ 4 weeks ] weeks

• Options

@Kiersten Lake I'm here to help you get connected in Final Surge.

******* Post a comment below or give me an 😀, 👍️, or huh?, 😨 and I will respond back via email.

If any questions you have getting started - schedule a call with me here.

------------------

Things to do:

#1 Get Setup in Final Surge

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.) Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

#2 Consider downloading the Final Surge App

We definitely want to see those hours, miles, watts and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, energy level, how mentally/physically easy or hard the workout was for you. The workout isn’t over until you make some notes. And the app makes this way easier. 

Here is the reason we like notes. Data + notes = comlplete story. The data is only only half the picture. Your comments provide the other half. You could be crushing all the workouts but feel terrible or feeling great. Work, family, sleep can all be factors in how you are training. So, how you felt it just as important as getting the work done. We want to help you find the right balance of work and recovery to keep you on track. 

To make comments, select the activity and click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Just a quick note goes a long way.

This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on  performance tracker  - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete.

Download Final Surge | Mobile Apps Here

#3 Customize your workouts in Final Surge

You can wait on this one. But remember it is an option. You will eventually do bike and run test. We will use your average power (or heart rate) for a 20' time trial to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) or 20' @(100- 110 Watts) vs. 20' @ Zone 2.  We can do the same thing for the run. Once you do a 5k race we can use your average pace or heart rate to establish run zones too!

Here is a video on how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones. 

#4 Connect with the rest of the team. Join our GroupMe chat

GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat. Your new friends are waiting for you.

Download the GroupMe is an app and see what the Team is talking about. Pro tip: You can subscribe to these channels and mute the alerts. There is a lot of activity here and the alerts can get overwhelming. 😂

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

#5 See the big picture and explore ways to get smarter

See the big picture. Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One and Phase 2 videos -- to get completely up to speed on your progression!

#6 Whew. You made it.

You don't have to do it all a once but, we would love it if you responded below. I'm here talk you through all of the above. I would love to hear from you.

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

@Kiersten Lake - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

I got your update. Sounds like you're in the same boat like so many others with no races this year. To help you make an adjustment, I have changed your training plans in final surge. Specifically I:

• Removed the race plan...
    • Added our Balanced Durability Plan (6 weeks) ATo give you a chance to work on both the bike and the run.
    • Added the Bike Focused OutSeason plan starting 11/2!

#onwards!

~ Coach P

Kiersten Lake is following the EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks.

Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: I think I'd really just like to focus on bike and Outseason. Not racing until next year some time.