Home General Training Discussions
Options

JW's R2R2R Adventure

I never thought of myself as a runner.  But I am an Ironman.  And now I am an ultra-runner!

For my 40th birthday I decided to run the hardest “40 for 40” I could think of by running the Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim (R2R2R) of the Grand Canyon.

I saw the Canyon up close for the first time on Thursday and wondered aloud how I would be able to run all the way across it.  But that is exactly what a group of 7 of us did.  We started down the South Rim from the S. Kaibab trail head at 4:30AM.  It is ~7 miles and ~5,000’ straight down to the Colorado River.  Well its actually the opposite of straight since the majority of the gnarly trail is on switchbacks down along the side of the cliff.

After this first 7 mile downhill section, it’s another ~7 miles of gradual uphill through a section called “The Box” with sheer rock faces straight up on either side of the trail that wanders alongside a stream.  The last 5-6 miles up steep switchbacks takes you back up the total of ~6,000’ of uphill on the N. Kaibab trail to the North Rim.

We had a guy meet us on the North Rim with an aid station in the back of his car, which was awesome for two reasons.  In addition to providing a bunch of fluids and nutrition, he also drove one of the guys in our group (who was fighting some sort of virus) back to the South Rim.

The ~14 miles back downhill to the river gave a final thrashing to our quads just in time to start the ~7 mile climb back up to the South Rim. This return trip turned into a bit of a death march as there was no running while we were ascending about ~1,000’ for each mile travelled on tired legs that were already ~40 miles in.

Total trip:

~46 miles

~11,000’ of Uphill (and downhill)

14:43:45

Here's a link to the video of our adventure:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZKiq54edk

What you read above is the severely condensed version...  If you want the EXTREMELY long version (with pictures and details, etc), then here's a link to the whole story on the EN blog:  http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/race-report-2/an-ironmans-journey-to-become-an-ultrarunner/

Comments

• Options
    John Withrow: The legend continues. And as I often say, Thank You for doing this, so I don't have to!
  • Options
    Nuts to that! R2R alone sounds epic enough. Congrats (but what's next?)!
  • Options
    Thanks to you, I started planning this with a friend for next year.  I  will see if the video helps to motivate him.  Thanks for the post.
  • Options
    Nice. Happy 40th!! A great way to celebrate by doing something truly epic.
  • Options
    WTG JW - Its On the list... Will eventually hit you up for some more data/info for executing that beast.
  • Options
    super cool.
  • Options
    wow, thats awesome ! good job on beating that beast =)
  • Options
    Incredible. Thanks for the RR - glad you made it out safely
  • Options
    Great stuff. Well done. I turn 40 this year and was talking about doing the same exact thing with some of my childhood buddies.
  • Options
    I read the long version and, wow, just amazing! I'm planning to do R2R2R this year. This report is really helpful.

I have a R2R hiking trip planned with some buddies at the end of August so I can scout the run. Then I'd probably do the R2R2R run in mid-October.

I thought I read that North Rim closes October 15th. How did the dude get in to meet you guys? Is it just closed for overnight? I like the idea of someone meeting me at the halfway point in case I need to call it a day.

Coming from Utah, it would be easier to start from North Rim, but it sounds like it would be treacherous to run down in the dark.
  • Options
    I think it's just the lodge on the North Rim that closes in the winter. The road stays open until the weather gets nasty. The North to South to North trip would be fine and it would be infinitely easier to have someone meet you on the South Rim because the South Rim is heavily populated with a ton of resorts and people. It's treacherous heading down either rim in the dark, but you'll be fine if you take your time. It would be a bummer to miss the views coming down the North Rim though.
  • Options
    Good to know. If I go from North Rim, I may book a room at Bright Angel Lodge as an insurance policy in case I don't feel like I can make it back across in the same day. They have some inexpensive, basic rooms for about $80-90 per night.
  • Options
    John - Fantastic report...thanks for sharing and a happy belated birthday as well! Many congrats on the finish...am sure you are now looking forward to the next adventure. ;-)
  • Options

Thanks a ton for sharing your experience @John Withrow ! I was so impressed when I first learned you had done this "too." (in addition to all your other amazing accomplishments). I am closing in on my R2R2R adventure with a motley crew of EN folks. Reading your reports and watching your video definitely is helping me focus and prepare (5 years later!). Thanks!