Home General Training Discussions
Options

Aerobic Base Build

I have been on a six year sabbatical from IM events and triathlon in general. That said, I have devoted Oct-Dec to aerobic base building following ‘Primal Endurance’ which essentially mirrors the MAF philosophy of keeping one’s HR under their aerobic threshold, which for me is below 122. Two week so far of succcess in running a 6.5 loop two days a week and one 8.5loop once per week has been challenging yet achievable, by slowing down . My normal unstructured pace settles into a 9min/mile pace, while MAF so far has me at around 11:30/mile. I certainly notice I feel great and energized after each run now rather than tired. I am very interested to see my fitness in December. I Plan on beginning EN OS Training Planing in Jan. My target is IM California in Oct 2021. The journey begins . Age 58, 6 IMs and to many half IMs I count in my history. Study in progress Any advice is encouraged. Thx

• David
Tagged:

Comments

• Options

David welcome back.

A few things to consider. You mention the time off from racing. What's your current level of fitness, i.e. have you been running / cycling or swimming? I've even found walking has helped with my ramp up for running as I had a 1 mile walk/run each way to work totaling 8-10 miles/week (sometimes I had Friday's off). Lets just say I'm slightly concerned with the run 21.5 miles right off the hop.

I've always been able to handle the EN higher intensity workouts from an injury perspective but it can dig you in to a hole. My number one goal when coming back is consistency, low intensity and getting the body comp back in check.

• I've typically come in to OS over weight and off the couch. Starting with cycling can help get the endurance back up but does limit the durability for running.
    • I find I can't do everything coming back you mentioned running 3X week. I'd also add some cycling in there as well use this to start easy then work in some intensity.
    • I given my self 2-6 weeks depending upon my lack of base and time to the OS to get in some workouts. 2-3 weeks just being consistent, intensity does not matter just get the workout up to 1 hour cycling.
    • Running is different due to plantar and other issues. Ramp up slowly, your 2X6.5 and an 8.5 see like a lot if you have not been running but might be okay for you. I look for shorter run/walk sessions. starting at 3 and the seeing how the 4 with a back to back works. All sessions are short early one 20-30 minutes then push out a longer run to 1 hour over the weeks.
    • If you are more comfortable or feel there are no issues ramping up the run there are run durability plans now get on one of those minus any intensity for the first bit say 2- 4 weeks.
    • Plan for down run weeks. Every 3-6 weeks just cut the volume back even more often if you are feeling something. I saw similar down time for Coach P, every 4 weeks or so when he was coming back from injury (bike crash year I believe) to what I did as an overweight off the couch except. Coach P's volume/intensity was significantly higher but the monthly charts looked similar to the one I saw.
    • Weights - Do you need to incorporate any work here for imbalances or weaknesses prior to the OS? Do this now 2-3X week.
    • Finally as the JOS approaches plan some OS type intensity on the bike prior to just to get you set up I'm thinking at least 3-4 weeks if not 6-8 depending upon how you feel. You can and will get a bunch of your fitness back as a decent pace.
    • I find when cycling prior to running my fitness comes backs but the muscles and skeletal can not handle the volume my lungs can. Don't push the run. This even happens to a lesser extent when I start cycling an running at the same time.
    • Focus on body comp now its much harder during the OS for me particularly after 6-8 weeks. Further I find when I'm in the throws of heavy IM training I eat enough to maintain my weight or the workouts suffer. You have 10 weeks to get a jump on this if needed.

Sorry for any typos/grammar no time to proof read and my typing in wrap with a C.

Gordon

• Options

David,

Tying to find a couple old threads. For reference here's Coach P's recovery come back different as you did not crash but notice his low mileage

This 2nd thread is the one I was looking for from 2017 with Coach P's graph of his weekly run totals that I referenced in my first message above. Note the number of step back weeks again coming off an injury but also consider the base he has.

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/251987#Comment_251987