Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Brian Gaffin Micro

Coach P;

I'm in Week 13 - IM Plan (Santa Rosa) and I had work (hate that when it happens) in the way of my 2nd run for Thursday.  I know your guidance is typically not to sweat over missing a wko, but I see the split/long run key.  Any suggestions or guidance to fit things with Friday - Sunday or reboot.  I've had a couple of 12+ mile runs, 2 weeks ago - want to keep building on the long run.  
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @brian Giffin -  sorry I missed this today. General recommendation will be to have you break up this run across the weekend.  So a lot depends on whether or not you actually ran today. Assuming that you got some kind of running in, I recommend that you do Saturday as planned, but on Sunday cut that long ride a BP session down to 90 minutes, and then tack on the remaining mileage (Thursdays run distance minus Fridays Ryman) in that slot. That will complete your weekly mileage goal without overloading you before the next week. 

I hope that does it!
  • Options

@brian gaffin -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

Completed IM Santa Rosa - solid time improvement and IM Chattanooga time disaster (came apart on the run - lack of training between races due to work and life).   While I started off the year with a solid base - did the December Outseason and had a half marathon PR of 1:51:53 - I seemed to go downhill as I ended up with a major job change that had a big impact on the 2017 season.  That's behind now.  Looking to rock it in Canada - age up also and I want to really race versus "Complete".  

Your Races (Intermediate Level)

• 07/29/2018 Ironman Canada 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/03/2017 
    • On 10/2/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/29/2017
    • On 10/30/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/26/2017
    • On 11/27/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/24/2017
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
    • On 4/30/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 7/29/2018
    • On 7/30/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/26/2018

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/lovfupy4j9

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Brian Gaffin -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Thanks for submitting your Roadmap; excited to help you plan out a solid year. I think you can continue the Run Durability Program through 1/7, before hitting the OS plan. I want to be bike focused in the OS (biggest place for gains) and really want you to try and get all four rides in on the bigger weeks. The Run Durability Program (RDP) will continue through the OS, albeit with a bit more intensity.

Key modifications include:

• Weekly run mileage around 30mpw for Feb/March/April
    • Bumping that up to closer to 35 mpw for the remainder of the plan.
    • Earlier investment in bike miles before you head out to Portugal (Weeks 14 through the beginning of Week 16 of the Full plan). The plan will have this baked in, but we'll need to get you doing 200-250 miles per week before you go more run focused over the "Travel" period.
    • Continuing the strength work through the end of the OS..it matters!

Your Races

• Ironman Lake Placid (2019-08-03) #IMLP_19   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/28/2018
    • Continue RDP work through 1/16/19
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019
    • On 4/22/2019 Load the    EN*Full Run Focused to end on 7/21/2019
    • On 7/22/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/18/2019

Your Notes

Last race was IM Italy - was strong in the swim and bike; both PRs 1:16 and 6:15. Wheels came off on the run - had a Gi Issue - had a lot of travel for work leading into the race. Anyway finished that race - wasn’t pretty but #12 down. Have been doing run durability for the last 2 months - 5-6 runs per week plus a 2 x bike (Zwift), 2 x swim (1800 mts session) and 2-3 strength sessions per week 8-9 hours per week. I have one issue in the build to IMLP - I owe the wife a trip to Portugal - May 21 - Jun 4, will run during that time - no bike - looking for pool options.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

•  05/22/2020 Epic Camp Lite in conjunction with IM Hawaii 70.3

•  Ironman 70.3 Hawaii (2020-05-30) #70.3Hawaii_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on September 25, 2019
    • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/12/2020
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/12/2020
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 3/16/2020 Load the    EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 05/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 06/14/2020

Your Notes

Bad year so far for 2019 - came down with Aspiration Pneumonia just prior to IM Lake Placid, so that was a total no go... 2+ months to recover - getting ready for IM AZ which i have to do to maintain my legacy slot. I'm in week 12 of my build... things are progressing well. Swimming 10K+ per week, ~125 miles on the bike and 20-25 running. Have not been able to push hard until just this past weekend. I'm in week 12 of my build... things are progressing well. Swimming 10K+ per week, ~125 miles on the bike and 20-25 running. Have not been able to push hard until just this past weekend. AZ goal is to complete to retain my legacy while i complete this recovery - at this point no remaining symptoms.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach Notes

Set up that call here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Maple Valley (9/20/2020)
    • Ironman World Championship (2020-10-10) #IMKona_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 04/13/2020
    • On 4/13/2020 Load the    Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 6/21/2020 69 [ 5 weeks ]
    • On 5/18/2020 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 6/28/2020 41 [ 6 weeks ]
    • On 6/29/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused, 12wks to end on 9/20/2020 83 [ 3 weeks ]
    • On 7/20/2020 Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 10/11/2020 83 [ 12 weeks ]
    • On 10/12/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/8/2020 27 [ 2 weeks ]

Your Notes

Coach P... Got notification that I have a Legacy slot for this year (hopefully we are out of the crisis). I had planned to go to Epic Camp Hawaii and the 70.3, but camp was cancelled and the race was pushed out. Had just planed to do that and Santa Rosa, but now have Kona. I also signed up for a local 70.3 when they created IM 70.3 Maple Valley (close to my house) Sept 20. Can you provide some recommendations as well as timing to get out to the Big Island. I have been scanning the forums for ideas as well. Thanks. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Brian Gaffin - Just following up on your monthly feedback for us. Thanks for doing it! 

Here's what you said: 

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Bike volume

Extra help request: Love the creative virtual events

Thanks for playing along in our virtual events. They are fun, and the best part is they're ours! No one can take them away from us! 🤣

Taking a look at your training log, I can see that you are really on fire right now. Hopefully some of those longer sessions on the weekend will help you in the area of body composition. Since the volume is peeking for you right now, we have to be careful to make sure the calories are still workout focused.

If you are hungry immediately following a long bike or a long run it's very likely you did not eat enough while exercising. Do your best to get the calories in while working out so we can eat cleanly the rest of the day. One Waze and make sure that's possible is to include a small protein shake at night time before I go to bed which helps keep me focused and not overdoing the calories.

~ Coach P

• Options

@Brian Gaffin I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: September races got cancelled, so decided to focus on building a solid aerobic running base - last 5 weeks ~ 40 miles a week - good slow MAF style miles.

Extra help request: Keep up the motivation.

That's a great pivot to the run focus. Here's my suggestion for you - 40 mpw is good, but lets go 30 miles every 4th week (40-40-40-30).

During that week, you can carve out some time to do a slightly longer ride. Maybe two or 2 1/2 hours aerobic on weekends. That will be a nice counterpart to the run focus you have, and will be a more sustainable approach.

How does that sound?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Brian Gaffin

I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected.

How does all that running feel right now after a few more weeks? And what is on your "tentative" agenda for 2021 races?

~ Coach P

Brian Gaffin Is on the TeamEN (Coaching + Community Level) and is following the Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks.

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Continued focus on MAF running - holding on bike - Pool reopens next week (looking forward to staring at the black line)

Extra help request: Good now - hopping 2021 brings some races back.

• Options

Thanks Coach Patrick!

Had started to feel some positive effects with the extra miles ~ 170 in August and had just achieved a first 50 mile week (without any side effects). Then we had a week of smoke hit the Pacific NW - so dropped way down on weekly mileage, but on the other side our YMCA pool opened.

Tentative plan for 2021, calling it my Red-Shirt Ironman Year...

Epic Camp Lite Hawaii (late May)

Hawaii 70.3

Ironman CdA (deferral from Santa Rosa 2020) late June

Kona Oct

Right now, tracking on the run durability - when should we submit our formal plan?

• Options

Rocking and rolling I see...a 50 mile week is epic. Well done there my friend. The journey to that level of fitness itself is an accomplishment! 💪

You overall flow looks good, and ECL will be a great booster for you....will be interesting to map out the 70.3 to CDA transition.

You can submit anytime you are ready: http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TriathlonSeasonRoadmap.aspx 

Let's do this!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach Notes

Your Races

Your Top Event / Race for the Season is: Kona - Oct 9th 2021

Your Second Event / Race for the Season is: IM CdA June 27th

Your Third Event / Race for the Season is: Epic Camp Lite into Hawaii 70.3 May-June 2021

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 10/08/2020

• On 10/5/2020  Load the  Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/1/2020  27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 11/2/2020  Load the  OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  2/7/2021  97 [  14 weeks  ]
    • On 2/8/2021  Load the  Swim Camp  to end on  2/21/2021  13 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 2/15/2021  Load the  Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  3/28/2021  41 [  6  weeks  ]
    • On 3/29/2021  Load the  EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  6/20/2021  83 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 5/3/2021  Exit Early               
    • On 5/3/2021  Load the  EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  6/27/21 55 [  8  weeks  ]
    • On 6/28/2021  Load the  Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  7/25/2021  27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 7/19/2021  Load the  EN Full Run Focused, 12wks to end on  10/10/2021 83 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 10/11/2021 Load the  Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  11/7/2021  27 [  4  weeks  ]

Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History: 14 time IM... not as fast as i want to be but improving

What is Your Focus Level for this Season? Perform My Best at a Big Race

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season: Powering across the Kona finish line in Oct 2021

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success? Myself... did not have a solid running base - went too fast too soon and ended up with nagging injuries

Anything Else We Should Know?  Since the pandemic, i have been focused on improving running durability using the MAF method, have been able to knock out 40+ mile weeks (slow) - the smoke out here set me back a little

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Brian Gaffin Your training blocks and Season Roadmap are all set in Final Surge. 👊