Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Andy Fenton Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I basically took last year off from racing, although I kept relatively fit with running and biking. I did an FTP test in Nov and came out with a starting point of 248. I've validated this through Dec by jumping into some of the OS workouts and have been able to sustain this FTP through 2x10, 3x8 etc. In terms of intervals, I've been able to hold 3x8x30 at 320. Generally biking twice a week for 45mins, just focusing on the 'work'.

In terms of running, vDOT of 42 based on 8 miles. Again, I've been able to sustain this vDOT across different runs and intervals etc. Running 2-3 per week with 1 hard interval session (3x1 mile at 7-7:10min per mile).

At my last IM (Wisconsin) in 2016, I did a 11:38, although I was injured 6 weeks before and didn't run before the event, so my run time was off by about 25 mins....apart from that, my splits were very similar to 2014 (1:12 Swim, 5:42 Bike and 4:02 run - total time of 11:10).

Target for this year is sub 11, with a stretch goal of sub 10:45.

I want to focus on run durability this year, as I've been prone to getting calf injuries later in the season, so want to build some good solid fitness and durability. I also think it's where I can shave off the most time...

I'll be jumping into the Jan OS plan next week. The only time I'll have an issue sticking to the plan is for the first 2 weeks of March, when we have a family vacation.....I should be able to run, but doubt I'll be able to bike, so I might need to repeat a couple of weeks and extend the OS if needed.

I'm right on the cusp of the Advanced plan, but given I'm returning after an 'off' year, I'm leaning towards jumping into the Intermediate plan and seeing how I feel after the first block.

IMWI is my focus, with the HIM Wi in June as a 'pulse check' on my fitness. Historically, I have also done Door Country HIM, but I might skip this as I find it's a little too close to IMWI (Door is at the end of Jul) and feel like I lose nearly 2 weeks quality training with taper/recovery. 

Your Races

• 6/10/18 Wisconsin 70.3 
  • Ironman Wisconsin 2017 (2018-09-09) #IMWI_18 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/10/2018
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Beginner OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the EN*Half, 6 Weeks to end on 6/10/2018
  • On 6/11/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 9/9/2018
  • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/7/2018
  • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018
  • On 11/5/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/2/2018

Coach Notes

I think you are in a great place right now. It's CRITICAL that you don't get carried away on the run. Consistent, no flash please. If you haven't already, check out the Run Durability on GroupMe so you can stay accountable and on track with the running. I'd like to see your bike FTP closer to 275 if we can, Wisconsin demands strength. Are you on Zwift yet? You should be with us... Getting Started on Zwift as that will really help/inspire you.

When you get a chance, check in with me via a call: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min say in Feb!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

Your Top Event / Race for the Season is:

IMWI Sept 2021

Your Second Event / Race for the Season is:

Likely Door County HIM mid July 18th 2021 or HIM in June (Iowa)

Your Third Event / Race for the Season is:

Maybe a 1/2 Marathon in May

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 10/16/2020

• On 10/12/2020 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/8/2020  28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 11/9/2020  Load the  Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/6/2020  28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 12/7/2020  Load the  Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/3/2021  28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 1/4/2021  Load the  OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan (14wks) to end on  4/11/2021  98 [  14 weeks  ]
    • On 4/12/2021  Load the  Swim Camp  to end on  4/25/2021  14 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 4/26/2021  Load the  EN Half Run Focused (12wks) to end on  6/20/2021  56 [  8  weeks  ]
    • On 6/21/2021  Load the  EN Full Bike Focused (12wks)  to end on  9/12/2021  84 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 9/13/2021  Load the  Post Ironman Transition Plan All Levels (4wks) to end on  10/10/2021 28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 10/11/2021 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/7/2021  28 [  4  weeks  ]

Your Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History: 4 full IM (last in 2018), not much in the last 2 years

What is Your Focus Level for this Season? Perform My Best at a Big Race

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season: Sub 11hrs at IMWI

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success? Time - 3 youngish kids (12, 9 & 7) and both me and my wife working F/T. Need to be efficient with workout effort.

Anything Else We Should Know?  Not been doing much structured training in the last year - averaging probably 3-5hrs per week of running/biking, so will need to ramp up initially. Generally, in previous years, I've started OS training in Jan, but would like to spend Oct-Dec building back a decent base with a structured plan.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P