Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Scott Liston Official Coach Thread

Hi Patrick,

Here is my race plan for 70.3 Steelhead on 6/30. Please let me know any feedback you have! Happy to post this for the team too but can't remember which part of the Forums it should go in :).

Scott Liston 70.3 Steelhead Plan

The weather looks reasonable – low of 65, high of 76, 6MPH winds, partly cloudy, probably typical midwestern humidity. I’ll bring the rain stuff just in case.

I have stalked the athletes in my age group and I am seeded 14th based on https://www.obstri.com/ and the USAT rankings.  There are five All Americans signed up in my age group! They are all faster than me. 7th is realistic so I expect to be 14th to 7th for the day depending on the day the field has. I will control what I can do and if per chance my wife can find me and shout out my position on the run and it motivates me, then that would be cool!

Swim:

I’ll get in line in the middle to back of the 30-35 minute group. Assuming cool water temps, wetsuit legal, the plan is to wear the full wetsuit and I expect to come out of the water in 35 mins. + the run up the beach to transition. This is consistent with race rehearsals.

T1: Gotta practice getting the wetsuit sleeves off my hands and watch. This new wetsuit is very narrow at the wrists. It might be a challenge to get off around the timing chip on the ankle too.

Bike target: 190W NP, VI < 1.04, 2:34 (-7 minutes vs. year ago) – time is an estimate, the course has changed vs. 2018; new bike and better aero position may result in a quicker time.

The plan: Settle in at 186W (81% FTP). Keep track of number of times I have to burn matches to pass. If frequent, these will push me up to 190W NP. If infrequent, I will push 83% (190W) from Mile 45 aid station to Mile 55 (entrance to the park). It would be cool if there are athletes out there going the same pace as me and I can just hang back the required 6 bike lengths and ‘join the train.’ I’m usually a little too eager to pass and burn matches. Estimated TSS: 177 Expected HR is 138-142. Monitor only to ensure nothing weird is happening. This is all about 4W higher than last year. Race Rehearsals haven’t quite been there. I’ll be depending on a very consistent cycling based this year and a little grit to make it happen!

Nutrition: Depending on the weather, two to 2.5 bottles of Gatorade Endurance and a Clif bar (6 sections, one every 20 minutes, I set the time to go off every 20 mins).

Run: it should be a little cooler than last year which is worth 2-3 minutes. First race using Stryd Power meter. My critical power is 256. At an average of 237 (.925), Stryd predicts 1:55 so that’s the target! -7 minutes vs. last year.

·       First three miles: 225W, 230W, 235W

·       Middle seven miles: 240W

·       Last three miles: maintain 240W and push higher as possible/if feelin’ it!.

·       This is consistent with Race Rehearsals

Heart rate will be in the mid-150s depending on the weather. Monitor only. Execute based on Watts.

Nutrition: Gatorade Endurance at each aid station and a Gu every three miles. Watch hands/skin for bloating from too much salt. Switch to water/coke if/when I get sick of GE or feel bloated from the salt especially if the weather is cool.

I think that’s it. 

Scott

Comments

• Options

Spray lube the wrist and ankles just before putting the suit on. Remember slow is smooth, so oat the Transition, just take a deep breath and do it right the first time! 👍

I like the bike power plan , as well as a "burned match" counting system. I think the extra watts will show up on Race Day no problems; the key is to use them in the smartest place possible. If you need to pass, be sure to run up the back of each person for maximum draft. And check over you shoulder as you execuate passes to be sure no one else has snuck up on you.

For the run power, I am not sold on the watts. Looking back at your data From runs and race rehearsals, you are mostly at 220-225 watts...I don't see a place where you have run 240 for 7 and then 3 more miles at 240+ watts. I think you could do:

• Cap watts at 220 for three miles
    • Cap watts at 230 for seven miles
    • Do what you can to the finish.

Make sense?

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks, Coach P.

It makes sense. I agree on the new run plan. I went back and looked. The average of watts for the intervals within my long runs since the marathon is 230W. Sounds like a good plan!

I was influenced by my performances last year and my estimate of the watts generated. Better to stick with what is know for this year!

• Options

I think it’s the right call. Not to mention that we aren’t necessarily capping your performance, we are streamlining it. There’s nothing to say that you can’t be just as fast on race day, just remember that the majority of the speed happens towards the end of the run as in not losing time. My concern with aggressive numbers for your run wattage is that you will suffer when it matters most.

• Options

Got it!! Answered you there!!

~ Coach P

• Options

Can’t wait to see the race report, well done!

• Options

Thank you so much for sharing. So impressed with how you handled the day, not only from the Stickles that you faced in your training but also on how are you dealt with the small things that came up on the way. To me that is the essence of racing. We all have a pen ideal of what will happen, but being able to manage the reality it’s a critical race skill.

Very pleased with the games you mean across the season and excited that you were able to see some of the benefits even on a challenging race day.

Google forever and have you switch the code to the door earlier, will begin to phase it as well. Same with the salt for you made the tradition to just Coke.

also great to meet your better half. Love her humor and smile!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited March 6, 2020 2:24PM

@Scott Liston -

Hey great to hear from you. Judgement free zone bother...you need to take care of you! I have outlined what I am thinking here...so let me know when you get WIFI from Le Plane! 🛫

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Ohio (2020-07-26) #70.3Ohio_20
    • Ironman 70.3 Traverse City (2020-08-30) #70.3TraverseCity_20
    • Ironman 70.3 Augusta (2020-09-27) #70.3augusta_20  *Main Race:*

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/06/2020
    • On 2/24/2020 Load the    Half Marathon (Balanced) 12 weeks to end on 04/18/2020
    • On 4/19/2020 Load the    EN Half Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 5/16/2020
    • On 5/17/2020 Load the    EN Half Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 6/13/2020
    • On 6/14/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 8/30/2020
    • On 8/31/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/13/2020
    • On 9/7/2020  Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused, 12wks to end on 9/27/2020
    • On 9/28/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, Trial Member Version, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/25/2020
    • On 10/26/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/22/2020

Your Notes

Hi Patrick, you know me well. (Where has Scott been?). I waited until after your Kona race to touchbase and, well, here we are! Alot of niggling things from the build up to IM Choo have subsided - right high ankle, left metatarsalgia. I've been uncertain what my goals are but now here it is: I'd like to chase a slot at the 70.3 World Champs in 2021 when they return to St. George. I have penciled in once per month 70.3 racing for 2020: Steelhead in June, Ohio in July, Traverse City in August and perhaps Augusta in September. All but Steelhead offer 2021 slots and then I can try again in 2021, right? Today I'm sitting at 95 CTL. October-Nov was Run Durability, I started Outseason in December because I am two weeks in Romania 2/25-3/10 so 2/23 was the OS end. I can realistically get 8-10 4-5 mile runs in while traveling. Then, I have a 10K race 3/14, a half marathon 4/18 in Lexington, KY, I expect to transition to HIM plan around May 1st and am thinking about using a Lexington, KY cycling weekend 5/21-23 as a big bike bump.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks Patrick.

Greetings from the Cincinnati airport.

So fun to see you in the video at the cafe. Love it. Thanks for the encouragement from last year. It was great but I think this different flavor makes sense for this year. Consistent Top 10 is the goal. If everything aligns and I sneak into a 2021 70.3 WC slot then I'll take it :). By the way, I am coming out to Ironman St. George to spectate. My Dad and stepmom live there so it works out great. I look forward to seeing you in May.

I like what you are proposing.

A couple notes. I did not realize that Traverse City is sold out so I got shut out :). I was looking forward to connecting with the Michigan posse :(.

So instead, what makes sense for my schedule instead is 70.3 Ohio so: 70.3 Steelhead 6/28, 70.3 Ohio 7/26, and then Augusta on 9/27. So if that changes things, please make the adjustment.

Also, to note, since I don't have a camp scheduled this year, I am going with some friends to a weekend event on 5/22-24 where I should be able to get 50, 100, and 75 miles in respectively. May be at 60% -65% IF given the social nature but wanted to also let you know that is out there.

So hit me with any adjustments you recommend based on the above and I'll get going. And feel free to load plans up in FS. There is nothing in there after Sunday 2/23.

Thanks again,

Scott

• Options
    edited March 6, 2020 2:23PM

@Scott Liston I am on it....updates made to the layout of plans ^above^ ; note that it's usually your job to load the plans, but we got you this time! #teamwork

• Options

@Scott Liston - Just following up on your monthly feedback for us. Thanks for doing it! 

Here's what you said: 

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2
    • Next month's focus: Continue consistency in Half training plan
    • Extra help request: I'll put something in my individual thread on the Forum. Thanks for all you d

Let me know how I can help. Looking at your training log, Things are looking really good. When you get the chance, please login to Final Surge And sync either Garmin or Strava, but not both. I am getting a lot of double workouts reported! https://www.finalsurge.com/GarminConnectSync

Thanks!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi Patrick,

I de-linked Garmin. We should be good now. Thanks for checking in.

I was waiting to write to you until I knew that 70.3 Ohio on 7/26 was canceled. Muncie on 7/13 is going forward. But Ohio is canceled. I transferred the 6/28 Steelhead entry to 70.3 Augusta on 9/27 so I expect to do that for sure. 14 weeks away.

Yes, I am sitting at 106 CTL. Did an FTP this morning as 3.1W/kg. Run test on Wednesday. Things are good. Have had sessions in the pool since our pools opened June 1st. Another fourteen weeks of training for the HIM seems a little boring so I was waiting for your best bike camp info to come out.

I would like to do the best bike camp if 1) you can accommodate my fitness level at FTP = 3.1-3.2 W/kg. and 2) you think there is room to maintain swim and run fitness and then drop back into a Half IM plan at the end of camp with with six weeks to go until the race.

I got my FTP last year up to 3.5 w/kg. so there is room to improve. Plus I'm intrigued by learning how to race better in Zwift.

But, if you think it is better to stay focused on the IRL race, I'll do that. Maybe we can come up with a different way to get that Bike bump if you think the camp is too much.

Let me know!

Scott

• Options

@Scott Liston - I am glad you were tracking the dates of all those races, they are getting me pretty confused right now! I feel like every race has two or three different date options which is a personal coaching nightmare of mine. 🤣

Yes, we can accommodate your training in the build up to your race. I think this year is going to be unique anyway and not the typical "half Iron Man" experience you are used to. In other words, there's no need to follow the same boring protocol when we have an opportunity to build some fitness and still, hopefully, celebrate with a good race on the big day. Having a camp structure there will give us a chance to connect on a weekly basis which would be significantly more attention than you're getting now.

Also, it's important to note that some of the knowledge we will gain from the Performance Testing should also prove helpful In those longer training sessions and, hopefully, on race day.

We could easily parlay that into improving that program. The only caveat is that there will be a training and testing work out at the beginning which we will have to account for. Nothing worse than a typical interval set but not your typical training into a half Iron Man.

Let's get those watts up!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi Patrick,

I want to get your feedback on my plan going forward. The target for 20201 is two 70.3s - late July and first of October.

I will finish my custom Best Bike plan through October. Then I am thinking I will do the Run-Focused November OutSeason ending with a Local 5 Mile Race in early February. Then I would like to do a 10-12 week bike block ending 5/22 with a fun century ride weekend with some friends. Let’s hope the one I’m targeting still happens 😊. That does leave me four weeks in February to fill - probably with a balanced plan of some sort. After the century ride I would have nine weeks for specificity work to 70.3 Ohio on July 25th. Then a week of transition and then nine weeks to 70.3 Muncie on October 2nd. How’s that sound? I am also learning I probably have to bring my running to ~ 20 miles per week except when I am 9-12 weeks out to 70.3 then I can let it build to 30. And per your most recent guidance I will let run frequency and split runs 'carry the load' to prevent injury and build more run-focused engagement time over each week.

That’s it for now and thanks in advance!

Scott

• Options

@Scott Liston - great to hear from you, and I hope that the workouts are going well for you. I get other updates from folks in the Chat Channel (now on Geneva), so feel free to give me an update.

I like the idea of Run Focused OS to a Century Plan. Lots of room to grow between the bike and run, and the oppositional work focus will be nice.

My thoughts would be:

• OS through Early Feb
    • 2-week swim camp / proxy for recovery.
    • 4-week block to build Best Bike Camp protocols (VLaMax? what's the target?)...then...
    • Merge into the Century plan.
    • Progress with the rest of your season as you outlined.

How does that sound?

Run at 20mpw is great...goal would be to move from flat running to a bit hillier back to flat with more Z2 effort (so we have progressive overload).

How are the Best bike workouts going?

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach P, thanks for the feedback on my plan.

I will wait to load the November OS into FS until you get them finished this week. I can't join the November 6th rollout seminar but will watch the recording for sure.

I have jumped into the WTRL Racing League and that has been great. I did Big Foot Hills and then the RGV TTT. I have also been doing Volcano Circuit 8 Laps on Thursdays. I'm finishing up the Best Bike Camp workouts as well setting PRs on the Bike.

On the Run, I do an interval session or hills and a long run (8 miles) each week with 4-5 runs/week up to 20 miles. I've been working the time of the 8 mile long run down so that feels good.

Total TSS has been consistently around 100 for weeks so I'll definitely be ready for the OutSeason.

I'll connect on Geneva as well!

Thanks again,

Scott

• Options

@Scott Liston - silent, but getting it all done. Great work on your behalf...and super impressive with the bike gains and keeping the run focus going. I know you aren't super social, but it's less about you and more about others. The team benefits when you play along, and on chat you'll always be heard! 🤣

~ Coach P