Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Peter Carroll - Micro Thread

I'm in the IM AZ Intermediate plan.  11 weeks until the race.  I have some conflicts with many of the Saturday long rides for the next 8 weeks.  I'm coaching 2 of my kids soccer teams that have games on Saturday.   I can usually get 2 or 3 hrs in before their games and then I have time late afternoon (being in Northern CA, it could be 90+ degree's in the afternoon).  Is it ok to split them up, say 2 hrs in the morning and 2 in the afternoon?  Or should I just ride it all in the afternoon (can do some days)?  Or can I just ride what I can ride on Saturday and then do 4 hrs on Sunday?

Thanks!

Peter

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    As a fellow soccer coach I get it. Let's flip sat/sun so you get in the ABP session before soccer and then the longer ride on Sunday. Save Sat afternoon for your chores/housework -- gotta keep everyone happy!
  • Options
    Patrick,

IM Arizona week 14 of 20. Int plan.

So, Soccer games/birthday are going to mess up next weeks RR and ride on Saturday. can I flip week 14 and week 15 and do the RR/camp week this week? I figure its ok. But figured i'd ask.

Thanks,

Peter
  • Options
    You can totally do it -- love the focus on what's really important! -- just include the lighter Thursday so you don't get too tired heading into the weekend.
  • Options

Patrick,

I’m doing IM Arizona (my 5th IM) in 13 weeks (at the end of week 13).  I’ve had continual family issues (mom hospital twice, dog died on son’s birthday, parents moving, mom to rehab facility etc).  Long story short,  I was getting into shape at the end of July and then this hurricane of crap hit.  3 ½ weeks later with only a handful of workouts done, I’m not sure what to do.  Hopefully things will calm down this weekend and next week.  Should I continue with the intermediate IM plan and tone it down for a week or 2 and build back up (do I have time for that)? Or should I drop to the beginner plan and still dial it back for 10-14 days?   I think I’ve adjusted my goals for the race already, its more ‘do the best you can’ vs PR time.    I’m on the ledge of just scrapping the race and need to be talked off the ledge and told it will be ok and there is lots of time left. 

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Peter

• Options
    @Peter Carroll -  I think "hurricane of crap" is the most apt description I have ever heard. Hopefully you have not trade marked it so I can use it!  B)

I'm so sorry to hear about all these challenges that you faced alongside your family, and while I can't speak to how you will handle the next 13 weeks, I do know that having Exercise as a constant is sometimes The best medicine.

Losing three weeks is tough, especially with all the other choices we make during the time we're not exercising. That said, it takes about 4 to 5 weeks to get back into normal shape which still leaves you with almost 8 weeks to race. I think you're going to be just fine, and here is how I recommend you proceed:

- stay on the intermediate plan and hit all the back workouts. This is the safest and quickest way to get your fitness back up again and you can go nuts on his as you see fit.

– Eliminate all run intensity but do you run as much for time as you can. Keep it steady at your target TRP/racing heart rate. We need to be a little more deliberate  here.even if you can hit the volume right now, I just want you running 5 to 6 times a week. If that means 2 miles a day for the first week, I consider that a success!

– for the swim, this is the least of my worries. It is a wetsuit legal and we can always wrap that up at the end. 1 to 2 sessions a week if that works for you otherwise do what you can. 

Big picture wise, focus on the process about the outcomes of each session. If you measure your peace now versus your pace five weeks ago you will be disappointed. But if you focus on running and running consistently, before you know it you'll be back at that pace no problem
  • Options
    Patrick,

Update time:  I'm actually back in shape.  7 weeks left until IM Arizona.  Lots of fatigue, but nothing unexpected (this is my 5th IM).  A couple of questions:
    1.  Long run:  How bad would it be for me to continue to split the weekday long runs?  On the weekend, i can do it, but with kids stuff, its A LOT easier for me to do 70-80 min in the AM and another 45-60 min at dinner time.  I should be able to do the weekend ones (not always brick runs though).

2. weekend bike- I'm coming in conflict with sunlight and soccer coaching and there just not being a solid 4-5+ hrs to get the bike (and the brick runs) done in one stretch.  I see 2 options:  Ride 4 hrs harder (get 5 hrs work done in 4 hrs), or split the bike into 3 or 4 hrs and then 2+ hrs after soccer and then the brick run.   I could also get up earlier and ride 2 hrs on the trainer, but that's not ideal. 

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Peter
  • Options
    I guess I could also throw an hour some evening on the trainer to get the bike vol up to compensate for the shorter weekend rides.  That could work also.  So, if I was supposed to get 5 hrs on Saturday and only got 4, i could add an hour easy bike on Monday evening (or Friday evening before the shortened long ride).
  • Options
    @Peter Carroll - Glad you are "Back!"...here we go:

1) Not a problem at all splitting...I personally prefer it! Just make sure you are practicing your nutrition!

2) I say go harder except for that last Race Simulation....either suck it up that one day OR do the trainer to outside and earn super ToughGuy points on that one. 

It's not the weekly volume that matters to me here, it's that single dose; so let's try what I've got ^above^ first!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach:  So, I have my race rehearsal on fri and Saturday.  I have Friday off work so I can do the ride and have enough time Saturday morning before soccer coaching to get the ride it (start inside then go outside on Saturday).  But, of course, now that I have time carved out to do it, there are other issues.   I live in Northern California and if you haven't heard, there are a ton of fires going on and 2000+ houses burned so far.  Its super smoky and our cars were dusted with ash last night.   Its supposed to clear up a bit by fri/sat, but I didn't  know what my options where if I can't go outside.  I guess I could ride 6 hrs on the trainer one day, but I don't think I can do it 2 days in a row (I could try).  But the run may not happen since it would have to be outside.  I really need to get the bike time in.  Should I adjust the schedule and push it back a week?  I could probably get another day off mid next week and do one of the rides then. 

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Peter

• Options

Hey Peter - I'm chiming in for Coach P since he's at Kona this week.  I'm so sorry about the fires in Northern California; it hasn't been a good year for natural disasters in America.  I do most of my bike riding on the trainer so my response reflects that background.  If I were you, I would definitely go for the 6 hrs on the trainer on Friday and follow-up with 4 hrs on Saturday (double-header movie time!).  You get more bang for the buck on the trainer so I don't think you need to fry yourself mentally with another 6 hours, but 4 should be doable and beneficial.  If you have access to a nearby indoor treadmill anywhere, then that should be on your to-do list for the RR run, elsewise watch the weather and see if there is anytime that the air clears.  They had a lot of fires in Penticton Canada in August and it was amazing how the weather and winds could shift the air quality up or down in a short amount of time.  But to really be a race rehearsal the run needs to be a brick after the long bike.  You are still a long ways from IMAZ so if you can't run this weekend, then I would consider this weeks 6-4 bike effort to be a solid bike training block and go for a RR next Saturday (no double header) and maybe a day off on Sunday if this weekend's bike volume plus next weekend's RR has you shelled.  There are many ways to skin the cat and as long as you are getting the big efforts plus some recovery you will do just fine. 

• Options
    Coach,

I've got a problem.  I think I've hit the over trained point.  Long story kinda short..  I'm at the end of week 16 for IM AZ.  last week was the RR Fri/Sat and run Sun.   Thurs night I got a GI bug. I pushed through Fri and Saturday's ride (Fri out side, no smoke and sat 4+ hrs on the trainer).  My power was off  I wanted to hold 155watts.  That shouldn't have been a  problem.  But I held about 147watts.  Saturday became a just keep the pedals moving.  It sucked.  The sunday run was ok.  My rides this week I didn't feel strong.  I caught a cold on Tuesday and am 75% over it (just a head cold).  Today's 3 1/2 ride (I stopped after 2 1/2 hrs) I still couldn't keep 155 watts without it feeling really difficult.  FTP is 225.  I'm going to skip the short run today.  I have a 210 bike and 60 min run on Sunday.  I think i'm going to skip the bike.  If you reply soon enough, let me know if I should just jog the run or skip it.  I just swim Monday and do the normal stuff tue/wed with a 3hr run on Thursday.  Thoughts on not being able to hold watts and being a bit slower on the runs?  A couple days  more off to help recover?

Thanks,
    Peter

• Options
    Ok, feeling better after a sunday of ignoring all parent/kid/soccer duties and just sleeping and chores.  Did my scheduled swim today and I'll get back on the program of running on Tuesday.  Mentally that Sunday was golden.  I realize I have too many other things going on and I have been ignoring my rest after any of my workouts=no recovery.  <sigh>  It would be easier without any other responsibilities.  ;-)Thanks,  Peter

• Options
    Peter -  sorry for the delay as I get caught up here. I’m really excited that you took that rest day. We ignore the feedback from our bodies at our own peril.

The key thing to remember in these situations is that you were tired because of all the work you have done not because you’re out of shape. With that in mind, rest is your friend and so was excellent recovery. Best thing to do is make sure that you get good sleep through this taper as that is very Restorative. Keep me posted! 
  • Options
    Patrick,
    Just wanted to update you on how I felt with the last RR weekend for IM AZ.  It sucked.  still the same 140 watt struggle when my 70% ftp race is 150.  So, I cut the 1st to 4hrs (run felt good).  Did 2 hrs for the 2nd day  (run was fine).   So, my cycling legs suck.  So, for the last 2 weeks i'm not going to do much.  I'm going to ride for an hour or so on Saturday, only to make sure my bike setup holds.  No runs over 45 min.  I'm getting 4 massages before I leave.  Hopefully it will wake my legs up.    This is my 5th IM, but I've never gone into one feeling like this.  So, question.  What to do if my legs feel like crap on the bike?  Cut the watts and accept that my 5:50 bike is going to be 7+ hrs?   Is riding 2 hrs and then hopping off the bike for 10 min and stretching worth it?  I know I'll be fine, i'll probably feel great.  I know I'll feel great.    Thoughts on how to adjust the bike.  Fall back to RPE of easy? 
    Thanks-Peter

• Options
    Man, that is really frustrating. Assuming that your PM is calibrated and your batteries are.all new, and that you DO actually feel like POOP...then rest is best. 

sometimes there is an external stressor that impacts how you process the training load. 

I might suggest a few short HIMS EFFORTS such as 3 x 10' with rest as needed. You might need to just get our of this retention in the taper. Your call. 

As for race day, yes to breaks as needed. At that point it is all about management and experience and I am confident that you will be okay. 
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• IM California (oct 2021)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

Last updated by Coach on 11/01/2020

• On 11/2/2020  Load the  Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/29/2020 28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 11/30/2020 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/27/2020 35 [  5  weeks  ]
    • On 1/4/2021  Load the  OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan (14wks) to end on  4/11/2021  98 [  14 weeks  ]
    • On 4/12/2021  Load the  Swim Camp  to end on  4/25/2021  14 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 4/26/2021  Load the  Bike Focus Block (6 wks)  to end on  6/6/2021  42 [  6  weeks  ]
    • On 6/7/2021  Load the  EN Full Prep Plan (4wks)  to end on  7/4/2021  28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 7/5/2021  Load the  EN Full Prep Plan (4wks)  to end on  8/1/2021  28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 8/2/2021  Load the  EN Full Bike Focused (12wks)  to end on  10/24/2021 84 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 10/25/2021 Load the  Post Ironman Transition Plan All Levels (4wks) to end on  11/21/2021 28 [  4  weeks  ]

Your Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History: I've done 5 Full IM in the past. Nothing very serious the last 2-3 years. I'm in fairly bad shape/kinda. I can run 5-6 miles (i'm slower/older). I can do a hard bike on zwift. I've only been on a bike on zwift the last 2 years.

What is Your Focus Level for this Season? Maintain My Trajectory

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season: Honestly, just finishing Ironman California in Oct 2021 (although I can defer) in 12-14 hours.

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success? Lack of fitness and aches and pains of being older and getting back into shape.

Anything Else We Should Know?  Excited about starting to train again, but need to balance family and training. I'm basically doing this so I can have something I can focus on that is for me.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P