Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Sean Hylton 2020 Coach Thread [PlanEN]

@Sean Hylton

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Main event of 2021 will be Olympic distance race in September.
  • 2022 Ironman Texas.

Your Focus:

In 2022, I would like to make a run at lowering my 9:56 IM PR.

Your Notes

My schedule as a firefighter/EMT is 24 hours on and 48 hours off. I can do training sessions at work (bike trainer works best) and through trial and error I have developed a good feel of how to distribute sessions based on work flow and logistics.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on September 8, 2020

• On  9/7/2020  Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  10/4/2020   4  weeks
  • On 10/5/2020  Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  11/1/2020   4  weeks
  • On  11/2/2020  Load the    Durability Balanced Plan 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  11/29/2020  4  weeks
  • On  11/30/2020 Load the    Durability for Runners 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/27/2020 4  weeks
  • On  1/4/2021  Load the    OutSeason for Cyclists Plan, 14wks to end on  4/11/2021   14 weeks
  • On  4/12/2021  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  04/25/2021  2  weeks
  • On  4/26/2021  Load the    Run Focus Block to end on  06/06/2021  6  weeks
  • On  6/7/2021  Load the    Short Course, 20wks to end on  09/12/2021  14 weeks
  • TBD...

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Thank you! General macro level outline looks good at this point. I am looking forward to the journey through it.

Regarding the chronic Achilles issues:

• Injury originally appeared in the summer of 2016 while training for the Great Floridian. I was using a canned plan from trisutto.com which had a lot of intensity in all 3 sports and an emphasis on treadmill running. I worked on Father's day that year and I remember limping at work and everyone questioning me about it. Switched to Aquabike and got 2nd in that division behind Olympian Jarrod Shoemaker who was using it as a catered training day.
    • Spent 2017 with focus on resting/rehab of Achilles. Ended up taking 10 months off of running and 6 months off of cycling. Did a ton of swimming that year getting in 1,235,000 yards and doing an 11.75 mile swim across Mobile Bay.
    • Spent 2018 trying to cautiously easing into running. Originally using some Galloway stuff and transitioning into some stuff out of Matt Dixon's 2nd book. Achilles pain was low overall for the year.
    • Did Gulf Coast Half Ironman in 2019 in 5:!6 as comeback race. Slow swim in ROUGH water, good bike on calm day and TOUGH run in hotter than expected conditions. Had ZERO Achilles pain with half Ironman style training.
    • Have experienced the most Achilles pain while doing training sprint triathlon training in late 2019 (race cancelled due to tropical storm) and early in 2020 sprint triathlon training (races cancelled due to COVID pandemic)

Lessons learned on management:

• Possibly related to muscle tightness in pelvis leading to a lateral pelvic tilt which cause a functional leg length discrepancy and too much supination of left foot (side of injury). I have learned that I need to be vigilant to prevent tightness in hip flexors and sacro-illiac joint.
    • Due to the supination of the left foot I must constantly inspect the shoes for wear pattern and replace them before they become problematic.
    • I have done extensive experimentation with shoes and the brand/model which seem to be working the best are Mizuno Wave Rider. Have been using Superfeet insoles for several years as well.
    • I have learned that running on treadmills causes pain and that I have to be cautious with intensity and hills.
    • I foam roll my calves virtually every day. Use compression sock most days as well. I have an at home ultra sound device which I use during periods which I am experiencing pain. I sleep in a night splint out of caution.

Regarding cycling, living in the southeast our winters are mild and I can generally cycle outside year round. Winter is often nicer, since our summers can be so oppressive! For safety most of my cycling is done indoors-- when I do ride outside, there are a few venues that I feel are safer than most of town and generally stick to those. Pretty much everyone on the fire department knows that I am going to set my bike up on my trainer and get some cycle training every shift. Most days we get to go off duty for an hour to exercise, during the times that I ride over an hour and I exercise "on the air" and if we get dispatched to a "run" (call) I get off of my bike and throw on my bunker pants (pants from fire ensemble), get on the truck and go do my job. I wear the fire pants regardless if it's a medical run or fire run. Over the course my career, I have had pretty good luck at getting my training in-- but even when I am interrupted, almost always I am able to get back on the bike and finish once we get back to the fire station.

In the video, you mentioned Zwift. I don't use Zwift, but I do use TrainerRoad. How do I find EN workouts on TR?

• Options

Sean, great to have you with us! Thanks for keeping Mobile safe. I will get you the details on how to find the EN workouts on TR - its been a while for me. I'm a Zwift guy 🤣. I'll get back to you on that.

What a great racing history and we would love to help you go sub 10 IM again in 2020. With that big swim year (who swims that far all a once?! 111.76 miles across the bay?! How long does that even take?) and the work you have done on the bike this year (FTP range 315-327) is a great baseline of fitness to start with. We also really like that you are so tuned into your fitness and how your body feels. Your reflection on your past IM performances and your insights on managing your chronic Achilles are actually good to hear. It signals a good level of objectivity and experience that we can work and help you make good decisions in training to keep you healthy and progressing.

Nice work getting your Polar data all sync'd up with Final Surge. Did you know Final Surge has a app too? It makes it waaayyyy easier to keep notes on your workouts. Which might be helpful for tracking your overall fatigue and achilles....

To make comments, select the activity and click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Just a quick note goes a long way.

Also, here is the reference guide on how to read the workouts, abbreviations and lingo.

You can customize your workouts in Final Surge. You can wait on this one. But remember it is an option. You will eventually do bike and run test. We will use your average power (or heart rate) for a 20' time trial to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) or 20' @(100- 110 Watts) vs. 20' @ Zone 2.  We can do the same thing for the run. Once you do a 5k race we can use your average pace or heart rate to establish run zones too! Let us know when the tests will work for your schedule and we (or you) can adjust the workouts to rest up beforehand.

Last, we would love to have you connect with the rest of the team in Join our GroupMe chat. We already have several other fire fighters/EMTs/nurse athletes in there too.

We use the GroupME chat app as place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask or answer in the group chat. Your new friends are waiting for you.

Download the GroupMe is an app and see what the Team is talking about. Pro tip: You can subscribe to these channels and mute the alerts. There is a lot of activity here and the alerts can get overwhelming. 😂

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

If you have a few minutes explore ways to get smarter and see the big picture. Coach Patrick put together a series of videos to walk you through the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Explore the Forums

All these topics are covered in our forums: Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game.

Search our Race Forum for race plans and race reports. Learn from the shared experience of the entire Team

Read the General Training Discussions and get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans.

Learn how to race like veteran. Dial in your race execution using EN race guidance

Stoked to have you with us. Maybe we can convince you to make the transition to Zwift and race with us. We would love to have your 315-327 W in our group ride! 😎

We can talk more on Friday.

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

I was noticing that all of the training plans have been loaded to Final Surge. Thank you.

However, the 20 week race prep block goes until the week of October 18. My target race is September 11, 2021. I should have filled out entire date when listing my season targets.

Also, I am unable to access the forum using an iPhone 7. I can get on forum with either my laptop or kindle but neither is as convenient as my phone which I do the majority of my web browsing with.

• Options

@Sean Hylton I hope we still can contact on a call. Let me know what works for you.

RE: Race in Sept vs Oct. That is a shift of about 6 weeks of training, and that would also be a good time remind us both (you and us) for a Coach Check-in. I made a note (Coach Check-in workout) at the end of the Swim Camp. We think that is a good time to evaluate your fitness and figure out the best way to modify the follow-on Run block and the Race Specific block. We don't want to elimanate the Run block or shorten the Race Specific block too much. So, we can make that adjustment with a better understanding of your fitness at the end of the OutSeason and after that Swim Camp. It's the perfect time to adjust your training based on the progress you make through the winter and spring.

Try this link on your iPhone.

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/entry/password

Login: HYLTONS@CITYOFMOBILE.ORG

Password: SeanROCKS2020

If you login once from your phone with this link, you should be able to get in from the dashboard. You may need to login again on your computer to reset the connection to the Forums.

Let me know how it goes and if that Roadmap check-in works for you.

• Options
    edited September 11, 2020 11:57AM via Email
    Got it working on my phone. Thank you for the help!
  • Options

@Sean Hylton I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

I am glad to hear that things are going well for you, particularly with the logistical side of training. It can be a little challenging to get everything dialed in "just right" but once you do… It's game over. I'm excited to see what we can do with you over a more regular schedule. Perhaps being able to get you to stay the full ride on the weekends will be nice. Please keep us posted!

Month Two Status Update from Sean Hylton

Rate Your Fitness (Scale of 1 to 3):

Your Swim: 2

Your Bike: 2

Your Run: 2

Body Composition: 3

Additional Info:

Biggest Improvement So Far? Getting my equipment and devices figured out to start using Zwift and increasing run frequency.

How Else Can We Help You? I am enjoying all of the offerings so far. Built in educational content has been great so far.

Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Yes

• Options
    I really enjoy the Hang On ride! I think that I need to learn to pace it steadier. I
  • Options

@Sean Hylton Your last post was cut off! I'm glad you enjoyed the Hang On ride. Did you get on discord? That way you can chat (or just listen to the banter). And it's even more fun. Just like a group ride without the cars! Here are the instructions for Discord.

Discord

Join us in our public channel here: http://discord.endurancenation.us

Download Discord directly here: https://discordapp.com/download

Here’s a great set up video from Team ODZ that you can follow step by step on YouTube.

• Options

@Sean Hylton I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Looks like everything is rocking and rolling below! This is awesome. Moving into the OutSourcing after run durability will be a good transition for you. Do you need to be mindful to keep the run in a healthy place so your Achilles can adapt to the new training load. As for Best Bike Camp, yes all the sessions are recorded and you can follow up. There's a special chat channel where you can ask questions if you want to get clarification, etc.

Rate Your Fitness (Scale of 1 to 3):

• Your Swim: 2
    • Your Bike: 2
    • Your Run: 2
    • Body Composition: 3

Additional Info:

Biggest Improvement So Far? Run durability focus has helped tremendously in decreasing the amount of Achilles related pain that I intermittently had been experiencing.

How Else Can We Help You? If I sign up for the Best Bike Camp in conjunction with my January Outseason, are the seminars available to be watched if I can’t make the live zoom appointment time?

~ Coach P