26.2 Best Time in Last Five Years 

3:50:09 Erie 2018 

13.1 Best Time in Last Five Years 

1:42:07 Rochester Flower City 2017 

* Your Strongest Discipline 

Swim 

* Your Weakest Discipline 

Run 

* Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More... 

Actually weakness is combo of Bike and Run, specifically the ability to run to my potential (4:05-4:10) after the IM ride 

* Your Injury / Difficulty History 

Leg (IMMT 2017) & Adductor (IMLP 2018) cramps during IM run. No history of training injury issues except niggles (touch wood, fingers crossed!). 

* Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career. 

1. Need to hold planned power on bike (tri distance specific) to be able to attack the run 

2. Importance and relevance of Run Power, and how it relates to pace and cadence 

3. Go with fewer swim wko's in order to add more bike & run wko's 

Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates): 

IM Tulsa May 23, 2021 

IM 70.3 Geneva (Musselman) July 11, 2021 

Erie Marathon Sept 12, 2021

Comments

• Overview

• 2017 data for long course -- Tremblant /Quassy + placid
    • 2018 better fitness but suffered in placid. Did 10x more work, but wasn't ready to race. Had cramps.
    • 2020 Best Bike Camp... made zwift so much more effective. Learning how to race and loving it.

Timeline to Tulsa

• 7 months
    • Thinking of bike fitness....top goal is to keep bike focus strong as possible.
    • In 2018... difficulty holding it at the target at the old FTP. That was a different set up....now on 155mm. Interval responder... ⭐what to do to add volume to winter...and intervals to Race Prep.

OutSeason

• Racing for the first half.
    • Long VO2 are killer.
    • Getting a lot out of them.
    • Swim - just on mondays.
    • Run target...target up to 20-24 workouts.
    • Bands / Strength for core and abductors.

Body Comp

• 74 kgs at IMMT, now closer to 78. had cut out a ton of wheat and sugar.
    • crank gels and drink (low sugar), eating lara bars, tailwind in the future?

Action Items

• Rory to get pictures to this thread
    • Patrick to do race analysis for 2017 and 2018 events as screencasts
    • Rory Schedule next call for early DEC
  • IMMT 2017 Run:

IMFL 70.3 2018 Run:

IMLP 2018 Run:

• IMMT 2017 Bike:

IMFL 70.3 Bike:

IMLP 2018 Bike:

• IMMD 2019 (a bit harder to see because of the watermark ... and unfortunately no Run pix ... 😔)

• Let me know if above are what you were hoping for @Coach Patrick ... I could look for personal photos as well ... also, do you want some "now" pix?

• Morning @Coach Patrick ! ... couple things:

• weighed in yesterday morning at 175lbs ... 79.5kg ... not quite the 78kg I thought ... will update wkly
    • also re-started food logging via My Fitness Pal ... = added discipline!
    • Question: would you prefer WKO comments in TP or FS? Either works for me ...
    • Brenda replied that got me squared away with billing!

Nov. 2 Week Recap:

• Good Things: Wed run intervals near Z5, Sat. VO2 Long - 4 intervals @ VO2 Max, Normatec sessions
    • "Improve On" Things: Swim smoothness & pace, calorie intake (1900/day+wko replacement), stretching daily
  • Wkly Recap:

• Weight: 78.5kg (-1kg)
    • Good: Run fitness ramp (Wed intervals felt stronger, 20mi wk), Swim interval pacing, calorie discipline
    • Improve: increase Swim & Core duration, daily stretching

• Wkly Recap:

• Weight: 77.8kg (-0.8kg ... and yeah I already lowered it in Zwift ... LOL)
    • Good: 7mi run longest since Aug; zwift bike ftp bump; calorie intake
    • Improve: Swim vol/time ramp (keep to 1 day/wk but ramp toward 4.4K yds/1hr); Bike VO2 Long wko this week (no Thurs. TTT race); Daily stretching (& compression!)

Is this working for you @Coach Patrick ? I haven't heard from you so am thinking, of the myriad ways to connect this may not be ideal?

Or, also, I know there are TONS of things going on right now with the Team ... should we hold off on this CoachEN thing till the new year instead? (eg. Feb/12 wks out from Tulsa)

• @Rory Gumina -

Catching up, but I'm up for the challenge...thanks for all the info...getting up to speed is hard to do, but I am getting there!

Let's start with the run picture review:

Homework:

Bike picture review:

Two specific changes for you here: head position and downtube speed. Anything else (gearing / tires) would be in season changes closer to race prep. https://www.torhans.com/

I prefer WKO comments in TP.com, thats a better place long term.

In terms of weekly focus points, I like the summaries. Bonus if you have end of week questions for me to answer. Otherwise I tend to look month to month here (our next check in should be early DEC to see gains and make edits.

If there is another way I can be more helpful to you, let me know!

~ Patrick

• OK let's give it a go then Coach!

Run input & homework understood ... incl. adding proper butt kick drill for bigger circle

Bike input: when I got fitted last year with Todd he took before/after vid of my bike position ... I just texted that to you ... basically rotated fwd & down which lowered head and reduced surface area of chest ... no pix of it "in use" since, but it did feel comfortable the very few times I rode outdoors this year

Re: the bottom frame triangle ... is that what you mean by downtube speed in your note above ... and the point is that just filling that space would improve aerodynamics of my setup? Also, can you send a pic of how you have the TorHans bottle setup on your bike ... I didn't quite follow/hear what you said on the vid

Going forward I will:

• use TP for any wko comments
    • Text you any weekly/wko questions, or just to let you know I put them here, as a trigger ... eg. for awhile in my Sunday Summary I'd like to share my thoughts about the upcoming week wko's and get your input

As far as additional help, leading up to or when we talk on Dec. 2, I'd like to:

• Get your input to the wko plan I have in FS ... which is NovOS but with:
      • Swim: 1 day/wk but increasing yds to IM dist, with mix of long (build to 500 repeats) and sprints (sets of 25's/50's ... 3 all out, 1 ez)
      • Bike: WTRL & TTT for weekday rides, and when those are done will target BBC VO2 wkos ... for wknds, your key guidance from BBC was to avoid "evil tempo" zone, so CNC and FatMax would be good right? ... but Hang On prob not? ... what about Dial Up to 11?
      • Run: pretty much as written except to hack timing to get interval & longer wko's outside when possible ... just because
    • I'd also like to hear any thoughts you might have from analyzing my wko data prior to IMMT (Aug 2017 ... 12:10 ish) vs IMLP (July 2018 ... 13:10 ish) ... specifically, felt like my fitness was tons better for IMLP so are there any clues as to why the much poorer performance so we could tweak future training if/as needed

Thx @Coach Patrick !

• Wkly Recap:

• Weight: 77.3kg (-0.5kg ... yup already lowered it in Zwift ... LOL)
    • Good: 3x1200s felt good ... running getting back to form; swift bike ftp bump; 7-way leg exercises seem to be helping pre-Runs;
    • Improve: Sat Bike VO2 Long was a fail ... will re-insert Dec. 7 wk; Improve Run Freq (only 4 days this wk); Don't neglect Core work;

Upcoming Week (NovOS): 3,500 swim Mon; WTRL instead of bike test Tue; Not yet committed to Run Test Wed ... any alternatives?; Looking fwd to Recovery Ride Thu & 3hr rides Sat ... other days as written;

Other Questions: additional help requests in previous note above ... as well as clarification on what you meant in video re: downtube speed

• edited November 30, 2020 2:46AM

@Rory Gumina okay...check in time...thanks for all the info!

• Run feedback, you got it. Running up a slight grade at an aerobic pace is great work for that. Or hiking steep terrain, totally killer!
    • Bike feedback, I saw the link and agree that's a massive change. You'll be a human missile when you get back to racing again. Probably pretty close to your zwift speed. 🤣As for the bottle, yes. Filling that in will be great. I don't have my pictures but here's one from the web. Essentially you cut the bottom of the white bottle, leaving the "outie" button that locks it into the base carrier. You can put stuff in the black bottom and then put stuff in the top white area. This is great for emergency supplies...and that sits in there doing good.
    • Your discipline specific edits are solid and on point. My only edit for you is confirming that yes, hang on is no bueno. Hard or Easy, a bit bipolar if you will. We can track the change in your time in zone chart. As it stands now, you are doing a great job (bike only) avoiding that zone. Running adds another 40' of Z3, but I'm not as worried about that.

For the historical review conversation, let's do the analysis live on zoom when we get to that point!

For this week, the general plan looks good. Per my comment in Geneva, that VO2Long is going to need to be earlier in the week for you to be successful...waiting until the weekend has a ton of fatigue in your system. That might be easier when WTRL is done (racing TTT on Thurs is okay)...think on that one.

I'd prefer the run test on Thursday (make wed the recovery spin day post WTRL. If you aren't that invested in the run test, we can swag it but I think it's worthwhile to check in since the roads are still good and we can actually get a comparable test in (vs previous Outseasons).

I think that monday / friday core is the "additional" focus for this week.

ONE NOTE on the VO2 LONG - you are doing them at like 75 rpms. Not going to work. That needs to be 90-95rpms. You can't handle those watts and torque. If the 90-ish cadence is no joy, then you can alternate 30" high, 30" at the lower one for now as you build up.

OTHER NOTE your HR is like 127 at VO2 watts. Is that even possible? Do you race IM at 100bpms?? What's your HRM set up and can we trust it?

Looking forward to our call...

~ Patrick

• Dec. 2 Call Recap:

• VO2 Long: target Tue w/TTT race Thu ... no ERG mode
    • Macro Bike Training Learnings 2017-2019: target longer, steadier ramp and diversity of effort
      • 20wk build to IM Tulsa ... two 4-wk blocks then 12-wk race prep via Minimalist Plan ... harder weekday efforts ... longer, more aerobic on wknds
      • Coach P. to create "Work to Volume" ratio goal
      • Vary modalities: trainer/zwift, rollers, outside, Tulsa recon trip
    • 5K Run Test Thurs. ... "same course" as Final Surge 5K Mar. 24 (22:14)
    • When racing and RR's use tor hans bottle & tape to cover lower bike triangle