Home New Member [First Month]

Jason Kay 2020 Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Potential B race, race prep, Sprint Tri May 10th, Spring Classic, Boardman Ohio
  • Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin (2020-06-14) #70.3WI_20
  • Potential Marathon, Fall 2020

Your Notes

I have manly been a runner completing multiple marathons(3:30:05) and then dove into Tri last year. I trained under the coaching of Eric Depoto. I completed Ohio 70.3 07/28/2019 with a time of 6:49:18.

Swim: 47min, Bike: 3:12, Run: way too long

I really enjoyed the training and caught the tri bug. My A race 2020 is Madison 70.3

Training this winter has includes emphasis on weight training. I have started back on the bike x2-3 days per week, run 2 days per week, swim 1 day per week.

I would consider myself very fit. My occupation is firefighter in Columbus Ohio, I achieved a VO2Max 56.7, Max METs 16.2, MaxHR 192, %of predicted maxHR 106%(Nov, 2019 annual physical review). I have no lingering injuries. I come into training at 162lbs.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on January 20, 2020

• 1/20/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/26/2020 [Level 2 run, 3 bike]
  • **Transition Early**
  • 3/30/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on  06/14/2020
  • 6/15/2020  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  6/28/2020
  • 6/29/2020  Load the  -- 2019 Marathon, 16 Weeks to end on  10/9/2020

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Hey Jason,

Welcome! Super cool have you with us. Congratulations on signing up for 70.3 Wisconsin. I want to help you get the most out of your EN membership and training. So, I want to make it easy for you to get started, organized, and here to answer your questions. We have a lot of videos and guidance to make you smarter and ensure you have a race day you are proud of.

For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

A few thoughts on getting setup and organized.

First off, consistency is key. We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete. 

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

To make comments, select the activity and click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Finally, Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them.

Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game. Check out the GroupMe, forms and the learning section from the main Endurance Nation page to get started.

Here are a few things to do: 

#1 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

Here is how: 

#2 Get setup in Final Surge. 

Sync your Garmin or Strava account with Final Surge. All your workouts will upload automatically.

Connect only one! Chose either Strava OR Garmin. Strava works better if you ride on Zwift!

#3 Down load the Final Surge App

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

#4 Join our GroupMe chat, join the Team and get smarter about your race execution

Our forums and GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat, start a forum post, or just search the library.

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. The forums are our long-term memory, these chats are a running dialogue with the rest of the Team

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

Forums

During your first 30 days you have access to the entire Team, Coach Lesson Videos, Race Execution Guidance and tons of race reports to help you learn more about training and racing.

SignIn

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/categories

Learn More about your Outseason and Half Plan. Watch the video here:

SignIn

#5 Customize your workouts in Final Surge

You will eventually do run and bike tests. You don't have to do them right away. But, in the next few weeks we'll schedule one when you feel ready. Then we will use your average heart rate during the test to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (there is a video here too): 

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! I want to help you get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, learn more about race execution and how the team can help you get to your race goals.

Talk with you soon,

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• @matt limbert Request Zwift workout files, Thank you

• @Jason Kay

Zwift workouts

Here are the bike workouts. There are 3 levels. Level 1 are the easiest. Download all of them, that gives you the most flexibility to move between plans. Level 1 are the best to get started with, Level 2 are what most folks use, and use Level 3 if you want to go crazy. Level 3 usually has a bit longer work duration and shorter rest, maybe a few more reps. Download them all one time and you don't have to worry about it again.

Download the zip file and unzip them to a file folder on your computer. You will put them into a file with your "Zwift rider number" Mine is 126767. Yours will be something different. Unzip the folder there.

For example, my rider number is 126713

Documents -> Zwift -> workouts -> 126713

It look like this. You can see the the other workouts I built below the "Level 3" folder.

When I login to Zwift and go to training:

Then click on Level 1, Level 2, Level 3.

How to Set Zones and Update your Plan in Final Surge:

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

Just for fun. Here are some FAQs and Best Practices for the Outseason training block. http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage/OutSeasonPlanResources/OutSeasonBestPractices.aspx

Notes from our call:

Firefighter from Ohio. Did Ohio 70.3 last June. Mostly running since them. Knocked out Rim-to Rim-to Rim in Oct. Strength training and some running since then. Had 1 -on- 1 coach for while. Key race this year is 70.3 Madison. Just got power meter, Smart trainer, Kickr Climb (so cool!). New to Zwift. Decided to do a bike test and set new power zones next week. Will then take a trip to Jamaica (again, so cool!) Couple weeks of OutSeason - then shift to race specific work 23 March.

• @matt limbert

Hi Matt, Im going to do my bike power test tomorrow. Any words of wisdom or any strategy or plan I should go with? Thanks - JK

• @Jason Kay Look at your workout from 28 Jan. Look at your power and heart rate numbers and remember how you felt at the beginning and end of each interval. That was a solid effort, with even pacing so you have a good sense of where to get started - but you can most likely find a bit more there. Use the power numbers from that workout as a guide for pacing. We want you totally spent at the end of the 20 minutes. So start there and empty the tank. Go crush it!!!! 👊💪 And let us know how it goes!

• @matt limbert

Good morning Matt, I completed my bike test but the link above to set my zones does not work. I did go into advanced data in the workout and update the 20 minutes specific to the test. Can you help from here? Thanks

• @Jason Kay

Congratulations! Great work! Way to get after it! Nice build BTW.

You can change the name of this workout - rename it FTP #1 or whatever - just so you can find it quickly. You will test again in a few weeks. Also, make some quick notes about how you felt, how you thought you executed - give yourself some advice for next time. Then you don't have to remember for next time.

It is a two step deal. You set your zones, then "Update" your training plans. All found under the red Endurance Nation tab.

Here is a video:

Here are the words:

1. Under the EN Tab at top, go to “Set up Training Zones”.
    2. Adjust your zones as needed.
    3. Then,
    4. Under the EN Tab at top, go to “Your Plan History”.
    5. Select the “Adjust Plan” button next to the loaded plan that you want to adjust.
    6. Select “Update My Zones”.
    7. Select the Run Zones and the Bike Zones you want to use. You need to select both even if you are only adjusting one.
    8. Select “Continue”.
    9. Select “Confirm and Adjust”.

Here is the same link again, I don't know why that one doesn't work.

• @Mattlimbert

Thanks for the help, that worked perfectly. I did notice my numbers are now showing up on the calendar. Thansk for the help!

• @matt limbert

Hi Matt, I received an email that I need to go into the team race database to update my race schedule. When I click on the link it asks me for a password and my user password is not working. Is that the correct PW or is there anther one for that database? Thanks Man. Have a good night

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/team-race-database/

• @Jason Kay

I think you are all set. This is what is in the race database for you:

Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin (2020-06-14) #70.3WI_20, Potential B race, race prep, Sprint Tri May 10th, Spring Classic, Boardman Ohio, Potential Marathon, Fall 2020

Does that look right?

The password for the database is: WORKWORKS

• Right on, that is all correct. Thank you for the info

• @Jason Kay

Nice work getting after it on your run test last week. How did it go?

• Hey Man, Thanks for checking in. The run went pretty well. I went out way too fast which hurt me during the last mile, but I'm satisfied. Ill also use a flatter course next time. I know my legs were more tired, not completely rested. I have been putting a lot of time in the saddle. I have seen great gains on the bike, satisfied with that as well. This is definitely more training in the outseason then I have done in the past. Im going to go for my long run today since I worked yesterday and felt I could probably use a day off. I have a call scheduled with Brenda on Thursday. Thanks again, have a good week

• Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Madison 70.3 Sept. 12 2021

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/06/2020
    • On 11/2/2020  Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/29/2020 27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 11/30/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/27/2020 27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 1/4/2021  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan (14wks) to end on  4/11/2021  97 [  14 weeks  ]
    • On 4/12/2021  Load the  -- Swim Camp  to end on  4/25/2021  13 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 4/26/2021  Load the  -- Bike Focus Block (6 wks)  to end on  6/6/2021  41 [  6  weeks  ]
    • On 6/7/2021  Load the  -- EN Half Prep Plan (4wks)  to end on  7/18/2021  41 [  6  weeks  ]
    • On 6/21/2021  Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused (12wks)  to end on  9/12/2021  83 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 9/13/2021  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan All Levels (2wks)  to end on  9/26/2021  13 [  2  weeks  ]

Your Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History Distance runner turned TriAthlete

Summarize Your Current Fitness / Activity Level Moderate Fitness

What is Your Focus Level for this Season? Perform My Best at a Big Race

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season: Complete 70.3 without stopping during the run

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success? work life balance

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• @Jason Kay

Hey Jason, welcome back. I hope you enjoyed your time in Oregon. We are stoked you are looking to get back into training.

If you have any questions getting started - schedule a call with me here.

We now have have a group chat - with specific Run, Bike, Swim, groups. The rest of our Team is in there. It would be super cool to have you in there too. With your experience you could help other athletes or just stalk it and watch it for a while and see if it your thing. Coach Patrick and I are always in those groups. The groups only talk workouts, training, racing etc - no other noise and its only EN Team members. Here is your invite. Check it out!

Did you ever check out these videos. This might be a good time to do it and put your new season into perspective.

See the big picture. Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Smart Trainer Integration

If you want to join us on Zwift here is how. We have big group of athletes that ride together and use a voice app to talk - just like like a big group ride. Logon on and join a group ride. Use the Zwift Chat to stay up to date on when we are riding. 

We have workouts already built for Zwift and Trainer Road for the OutSeason, HIM and IM plans. Scroll down. Find your plan - link to the pre-built workouts are on the right

If you have a smart trainer and a Zwift or Trainer Road account, download the workouts for Zwift to your computer or login to Trainer Road library.

For Zwift: Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

How to Download Workouts for Zwift — Watch Video

For Trainer Road: Use this like to request access to the EN workout library. Request access by sending a message "Request Invite to Trainer Road" to ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com