Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Dave Glenn Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Hi Coach P! I'm Excited to get back at it! Been laying low since IM Canada.
Running 3-4x/wk about 25miles/wk. No swimming for a few months. Very little biking. Been in the gym 3-4x/week trying to maintain muscle/get stronger. Will join the Jan OS crew for my 2nd OS with EN.

Thanks! 

Your Races

• will participate in local sprint and olympic triathlons this spring/summer. not sure of dates.
  • Ironman Louisville (2018-10-14) #IMLou_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/02/2018
  • On 1/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/28/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus, L1) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/10/2018
  • On 6/11/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 10/14/2018
  • On 10/15/2018 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/11/2018
  • On 11/12/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/9/2018

Coach Notes

Dave, great to have you back!!!! Let's get you dialed right into the OutSeason® ...it's all ready for you using the bullets above. One week of continuing your stuff / Run Durability Program (RDP)  and then we are into the OutSeason Plan (new plans this year) and off for the rest of your year.

Note I inserted the Bike Focus plan to get some mid-year bike miles in, but I can flex on that as you see fit. If you want to discuss more, please set up a call with me here:  https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Thanks coach!

Those plans look good. I think I will try and test this weekend to get a more accurate picture of where I'm now as opposed to a few months ago. I'll keep you in the loop.

Dave

• @david glenn - How did the testing go?
  • Run test dropped my zones a bit as I was about 2 min slower than my last 5k test. Not a bad outcome as I’ve not really added any intensity to my runs over the last few months. 
    I did not bike test as my P1 pedals decided to go on vacation. A known firmware/software glitch occurred and I had to send them back to Saris for repair/recalibration.
    I do feel encouraged however as I’ve been using TrainerRoad virtual power and hitting my existing FTP numbers. I realize virtual power is like virtual reality...virtual! I’ll SWAG my FTP at its current 264 and let it ride until I get my power back! 
    Thanks!

• DG - I have heard about this glitch, sorry to hear you were also affected and I hope it resolves quickly. Their customer support is usually pretty good.

Don’t worry so much about the run, early stages of return to running or just about laying the foundation for the speed that will come in the future. The consistency of running is what makes things grow faster more quickly… I think you’ll be surprised by the time we get to your next test! :-)

• Great talk yesterday. I enjoyed the deep dive....now to continue the learning! 

First, no worries on the lack of Social Media. We talked about Strava (www.strava.com) and you can create an account there. There's no need to do the premium version, just get connected and find Team Endurance Nation so you can "join" us and be a social part of the Team. IF you want to port over the historical stuff, you can use this service to make that happen, as a one time process, as once you connect the accounts moving forward it will just happen from Garmin to Strava. 

Second, regarding you lessons learned from training...you mentioned doing a better job of following the intensity of the plan. We don't want you to crush yourself, but ideally you are challenged in all of the bikes. The runs should be steady and, of course, we want a balanced focus / room for energy on the nutritional front. 

Third, re race day you left a lot on the Bike. That's okay...but you can read up on Ironman® Louisville here so you are 100% ready to go this time around. If you have a picture from Race Day on the bike, it would help me see if there are any easy improvements to be had. 

Fourth, all of our nutritional stuff is online here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Nutrition+Central so please dive in and pick an area to focus on!!

I am standing by for your pictures here when you get the chance!

~ Coach P
  • Hi Coach P,

Yes, nice to finally speak with you too! I created a Strava account as soon we got off the phone. I uploaded the swim, bike and run portion of IM Canada to my profile. Maybe you can check those out at some point and try and decipher my chaotic paces/efforts. Also, my everyday workouts seem to be flowing to Strava now too. Any advice or guidance would be welcome! 

Here are a few pics of me during the bike portion of Canada. 

Thanks!
  • Mr Glenn - 

Awesome pics!! Can you get me your strava link? When you are in your feed...just copy that URL and paste it here please!!!
  • @dave glenn - Thanks for the link..I found you (your profile / user link) is this: https://www.strava.com/athletes/27422844 

Crazy and super variable on the bike...that killed you in the later stages of your ride and your entire run. I know you  want to be fast, but sometimes patience goes a long way to success across the run / remainder of your day. 

Here is the video, you can watch it: https://goo.gl/i6Va4t 

You can definitely be more aero on the bike; not sure of the fit limitations, but with that bike you have a lot of potential. 

Here's you and a random doodle. First, see ho your shoulders are behind your elbows vs being "more on top" of then? That puts a lot of extra work on your body, and also means your torso is elevated...this second part is captured by the yellow line. Essentially parallel to the ground for your stunt double, but positioned as a ramp on your side. That means a large part of your shoulders / torso and head are catching wind and slowing you down. 

I notice you are carrying quite a bit in your pockets; remember Xlab makes a cervelo seat post rear bottle mount that you can hang bags off as well for race gear. 

Do you have fit limitations?

~ Coach P 
  • Hi Coach P,

Just checking in after a few months of OS and 5 weeks of bike focus work. Things are going well. I made some adjustments on the bike (after your recommendations in the posts above). I do have a few limitations as far as ideal fit goes but i'M slowly working towards a more ideal aero fit.
    I raced an olympic distance tri on Saturday and PR'd the course by 8 minutes. Felt good about the swim , could have pushed harder on the bike and nailed the run. Felt really good afterwards.  
    After our phone conversation in January Ive really made an effort to consistently fuel while training. I feel as if I've kind of had a break through in that department! Reflected both in training and the race on Saturday. Hopefully I keep it up!!
    I do have a question about my bike FTP. I tested towards the end of the OS and hit a new high in terms of sustained watts for the 20 min test (282). I was so excited that I didn't do the math afterwards and have been training at a 282 FTP. I kinda just figured that out as I was recently reading through the testing protocols again.
    While it was hard the first few weeks i am used to it and really don't have a problem maintaining my workouts at the prescribed efforts. My question is: its not really a problem is it? Am i really screwing with heart rate zones when doing bike workouts because I've been training at a higher intensity than the protocol calls for? I don't really pay attention to HR anyways during bike workouts...more of a good to know stat than a useable metric at this point. 
    What is your opinion?
    Thats it for now. I'll be moving into IM Louisville training plan in a couple weeks so looking forward to that!
    I also have 3 more short course tri's I'm planning on doing over the course of the summer.
    Ok talk again soon...

Dave
  • Also, which full IM plan should i load? 2017 IM intermediate, 2018 Bike Focus Intermediate or 2018 full intermediate?
    I believe it would be the bike focus plan since i am in year 2...?
  • @david glenn - no worries on training at 282...it's "hard" to start like that, but sounds like you have forced your way into some new fitness!!!  :smile:

As for the race plan...you should do "EN*Full 2018 Bike Focused" plan and follow the Level 2 (Intermediate) workouts. 

PS keep up that nutrition; making it "automatic" like that is huge. No rush on the build to IMLOU yet...you have a few weeks of relaxed training / racing before the push of the final 12 weeks begins!!!

~ Coach P
  • Hey Coach P,

Congrats on your Kona race! It was fun following you on race day. Your performance gave me good energy going into IM Louisville the next day!

While I am considerably slower than you, I feel as if I did a nice job executing my 'A' race of the year. I posted a brief race report but was hoping you could take a look more closely and talk to me about areas of improvement.

I had a really good year of training and competing. I improved in all 3 phases of triathlon and got faster along the way! Running has become very enjoyable. I really like training...no i haven't been drinking....well maybe a little since the IM:) I will try and send you my bike and run files from the race in another post.

Thanks for your time!

• Hi Coach P,

I've been away from the website a little bit since IM LOU. Checking back in to get the Jan OS dialed in. Cant seem to get the dates lined up with the workouts. What is a good day to start the Jan OS?

Also, I need to check in about 2019 with you. Trying to figure out races and events I want to participate in.

Thanks!

Dave

• Great to have you back. The January out season starts on January 7. You can always find information like that on the website under community/calendar.

Here is the link from our help site on how to adjust your plan as needed.

As for your season, you’re welcome to set up a call with me or to post some ideas first. It really depends what stage of the planning process you are at!

https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

• Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

•  06/02/2020 (Type) Olympic distance triathlon
    • 07/01/2020 Various distance short course local triathlons
    • Ironman Arizona (TBD) #IMAZ_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on October30, 2019
    • 10/28/2019 Load the    Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/24/2019
    • 11/25/2019 Load the    Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/22/2019
    • 12/23/2019 Load the    Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/19/2020
    • 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks  to end on  4/12/2020
    • 4/13/2020  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  4/26/2020
    • 4/27/2020  Load the    Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on  7/5/2020
    • 7/6/2020  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on  11/22/2020
    • 11/23/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  12/20/2020
    • 12/21/2020 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/17/2021
    • /18/2021  Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  2/14/2021
    • 2/15/2021  Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  3/14/2021

Your Notes

Only 2 IM's under my belt. Canada in 2017 and Louisville in 2018. Raced several local olympic and sprint distance tri's this summer (2019). Needed a mental break from IM specific training this year (2019). Itching to get back into more structured training. Loaded a few final surge plans this summer only in an effort to maintain endurance fitness.

Currently in maintenance running mode-3-4x/wk up to 18-20 miles/wk. Strength training 3x/wk in 1 hour sessions each.

Not been on my bike for 3 months;( Don't judge me!!

Ht 6'2'' 

Wt 194

Need to lose about 10lbs to get closer to race weight that works for me...

Although I have gained more muscle mass this summer due to weight weight training

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Hi coach,

Just checking in. Its been awhile so wanted to touch base.

JOS went well. Probably my best OS yet. Prepped for it beginning in November and ramped up in December. Was able to jump right in when Jan hit. The run focus plan really helped my run. I logged lots of good miles. Was able to get faster and maintained consistency.

Since swimming was essentially put on hold in March/April I really only focused on bike/run. Was able to get a few swims in puget sound but holy shit it was cold!

I participated in the UltraMay challenge and got my ass handed to me:) It was fun but I developed a pretty good migraine Sunday morning and couldn't finish the last run or bike. I thought i might be able to at least finish it later in the day but i just couldn't shake the headache. I'm thinking it may have been due to not excueting nutrition properly...live and learn. It was honestly more difficult than i had anticipated!

I am finally on Zwift and absolutely love it. Don't know why I waited so long! Hope to ride with you sometime...even if its only for the first 5 min before you drop me!

The original plan you set up for me would have me in the 'get faster' to end july5th. In place of that I have loaded the HIM plan to get ready for the DIY august tri. Seems as if the PNW may have a decent turnout led of course by Al T.

IMAZ has not been officially cancelled yet so I'm wondering if I should load that plan as scheduled on 7/6/20 instead of finishing out the HIM plan. Thoughts? I am really hoping to race IM this year...as are a lot of folks!!!

Sorry for the rambling note! Just wanted to get you caught up...I'll try and be better about checking in.

Dave

• @David Glenn - thanks for the update! It was great to connect with you through the challenge. I was wondering what happened to you on the second day. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I laughed out loud when I heard how you went to bed and didn't wake up again. That is my personal endurance racing nightmare 😱😱😱

Answer me like you needed the rest and I'm glad you took it. I would agree, aside from perhaps being a little ambitious with your early pacing, which I don't believe you were, that Nutrition) is a critical part of those challenges. I spoke about it a little earlier in the week leading up to the event. I am about my nutrition for the entire session, and make sure that the end of every workout has some recovery protein and hydration to keep me on track. We usually think about nutrition as a requirement for larger workouts. But we underestimate the cost the frequent shorter workouts have on our system. This is a good lesson for you to learn as you head into a proper race build, as you likely will need additional nutrition in those bigger weeks to stay on track! 👍

All the rides are scheduled on the official Zwift page where she can find here: www.endurancenation.us/zwift can also follow me in game and join in the next time I am writing. I tend to do more easy miles on Mondays and Fridays if that works for you. For me, Swift has been a total game changer so I'm very pleased to have you in the game.

I recommend you stick on the Half plan at least through the beginning of August. It's unlikely that you will know by that point in time what the status of Arizona will be, but we will have a sense of how you are adapting to the half training plan. We can use that feedback to decide whether or not changing plans is the next best step. It could just be that some incremental/strategic volume could equal the training load you would otherwise have In the Full plan (without all the fatigue it would bring).

Make sure you are in the FB Group for DIY: https://www.facebook.com/groups/267062137738873/

~ Coach P

• Coach,

4 weeks out from IMAZ. Against my better judgement I am planning on participating. The bike course has been shortened to about 75miles( I'll save you the long story on why I am still racing and not deferring).

My question is about bike intensity. I was planning (and have been training) to ride at about a .68IF. Because it has been shortened I am wondering if I need to bump that up to about .70-.72IF. My overall goal is to ride a respectable bike but have enough for a sub 4:00 marathon(my fastest marathon was 4:20). All my training this year indicates I'll be very close to 3:59.9999999! Wondering your thoughts...

It all probably seems silly but just thought I'd throw it out there and get your 2 cents.

Thanks!

Dave

• @David Glenn Not silly at all!!! So, I talked with @Joe Gretsch about this as well. We want you riding well, but not too fast out of the gate. I recommend a building strategy.

• 15' just getting settled and making sure all things work, etc.
    • 60' @ .68
    • 60' @ .70
    • 60' @ .72
    • 30' @ ?? to close it out (I recommend steady / maintain here).

With so many 180-degree turns, you'll be "on the gas" several times each loop to get back up to speed. There is hidden work in those numbers, but they should be your targets on the dial. You can use "last lap" screen to "go back" and confirm you are on track as you build your power.

How does that sound?

~ Coach Patrick