Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

NOS Bike Week 2 - Settling In

So the first week is always a bit of an eye-opener for first timers and a reminder for returning members what work is all about. The first 4 weeks of Threshold work should be pretty steady effort at just below or just above your FTP. This works to get you used to working just above and just below that point where your metabolism goes anaerobic. By working in this range, you can increase the amount of work that you are able to do without going anaerobic which increases your FTP.

On Tuesday, the workout is 2 intervals, 1 just below and 1 just above your FTP.

On Thursday, the workout is 2 longer intervals below your FTP.

The weekend workouts are long steady efforts.

Mentally, try to get yourself prepared for the intervals. Near the end, they get challenging. What are you going to do when you want to stop? What is your plan to keep going? This is just like a mini race day, flex those mental muscles and develop the skill to keep going when you want to stop.

Pro tip, longer intervals above FTP in ERG mode can become difficult (I find that my power begins to fluctuate after a while). If ERG mode becomes too hard, use the companion app to switch out of ERG mode and use your gears to get your power into the appropriate range for the interval. DO NOT GIVE UP! Try to finish the interval even if it is below the goal power level.

Lets see some graphs posted up in here! Get to work!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited November 9, 2020 4:10PM

I am opting for a ~45 minute swim today in order to allow my body to absorb some of that weekend work.

I like using ERG mode, given I have had some experience with it. It can get real but it also keeps me honest when using an accurate FTP baseline. Once a week I also try to switch things up a bit on the bike and do a race, or team event.

Given I am on the Run OS plan, I currently bike 3 times a week and run 6 days a week.

Good luck this week all!

• Options
    edited November 10, 2020 12:48AM

Tuesday ride done and dusted. That second 10 min was hard but doable. There was more green than blue on the graph. So WIN WIN. I was planning to brick but I have to take the dogs to the vet and then go to work. My legs are pretty sore from yesterdays long run anyhow.

@Shaughn Simmons - I would post a graph but I don't know how. I can run any number of invasive machines but computers. BAHH. I am pretty pleased with today's ride. If today is any indication I might need to bump to L2.

Have a great rest day everyone. Mine will be Thursday.

OH YA! and Garmin says my training is "unproductive." ๐Ÿ˜ค

• Options

@Jacklyn Moore way to lead getting it done!

Got mine pain session in also at 0 dark thirty early.........๐Ÿคข

Have a great day all!!

• Options

@Shaughn Simmons -Never thought of the LEAD part. That's your JOB! Thanks.

This weeks training is kinda jacked up. Today I did the 4x800 z5 stuff. Didn't know what z5 pace is so decided to run 09:30ish. I had been noticing on my shorter runs that I have been naturally taping on the 09:30 pace but no sustained efforts. Ended up with a negative split. Did 3 intervals. For some reason I had it in my head that it was 5 repeats not 4. I really need to start writing this on my arm. Reason I did 3 was because I have to work tonight. When I am working I have a "decend like a bread winner" attitude.

Beautiful day out there. Hope everyone is staying safe and getting some wind in their faces.

• Options

Wed intervals! z4 rather than z5 but otherwise ok

• Options

Strong work Team!

@Shaughn Simmons Nice Work, I am following your exploits on Geneva, Looking strong!

@Jacklyn Moore Looking good. As a comment regarding going up to level 2, I have been persuaded that if the early workouts seem too easy, wait a bit, they cumulatively add up. Also, it may just be that your FTP is on the low side and that will change soon enough with your next test.

@Rory Gumina Nice intervals! looking good!

My week has been a mixed bag so far, WTRL racing on Tuesday. Finished back of the middle of the pack, 58th out of 90(ish) racers. New 60 min power so that is good.

Thursday I went back to the structured workout and blew up pretty badly.

That super high red spike in the graph is called SVT. That is why I do not join in the discussions about how high one can get their HR. It is not dangerous according to my Cardiologist but necessitates a marked reduction in immediate effort to normalize. After that debacle, I decided to look at my FTP settings. I set an all time best in June of 289 watts and (fooloshly) thought that I could roll into the OS at that level. Unfortunately, I had to bacck off of the bike for most of Sept and early Oct for other reasons so I went into Zwift to lower the FTP setting a bit. When I looked at the setting in Zwift, it was set at 295 which is above my best ever. Not sure how it got set there but that explains the harder intervals so I backed it off a bit. It has been so long since I did structured workouts (4 months) that I guess I just forgot to check the setting before the OS started.

Going for long steady tomorrow and then CnC Sunday at 9. I invite all to join that ride, it is the most fun I have all week. I have an idea how to make the long steady rides in Zwift more fun and I will Post it tomorrow after some testing.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2020 8:42PM

@Ralph Moore Alas, my Aug FTP was my 2020 peak... Best Bike Camp had me racing alot on Zwift, so I know how to get there when the time is right. Week 2 of Preseason/NOS ended with a couple of one hour (ABP/TRP) efforts on the bike/run. I'm two weeks out from a 70.3 that took me to my (COVID adjusted) limit, so I'm giving myself a month to ramp things back up to the level of Zwift Group rides and races.

• Options

didnt realize we had the forums going, thank you @John Culberson

I've been struggling with some trail running interrupting my normal flow. I am on a protocol that would have me doing some best bike week interval sets on Tu+Thrs, but I've been doing the WTRL Racing league. This week is about getting as much TSS done on the bike between now & wednesday morning as Saturday's weather is looking like go time on my epic solo Trail run that i've been building up to.

For those that are new here, please fire out the questions lots of great veterans in this group to help you out. Remember that each interval is a lesson in mental fortitude, you CAN make it happen!!!

• Options

Sunday CnC Ride was solid! I only was able to stay for an hour and a half of the 2 hour ride.

Hard intervals with recovery in between. Good clean fun.