Options

100 Push-Ups Challenge

2»

Comments

• Options
    51 pushups this morning ... up from 40 in my first test. I start the next
    level workouts on Monday.
  • Options

185 total tonight. I'm getting stronger but the program is getting harder! When I'm ready for a 100 late next month I'm going to ask my wife to video it for motivation.

Up down, up down, up down,

Rinse, lather, repeat!

• Options

200 today. Those last sets are a killer...

• Options
    Awesome! I have a race tomorrow morning so will wait until Sat evening to
    do my next set.
  • Options

I'm up to 130 reps in 5 sets spread over 7-12 minutes...it's still a mystery to me how I will be able to actually do 100 push-ups without stopping a month from now.

• Options
    191 total today. I was not 100% after this morning's race and fell short
    of the minimum in the last set so will redo this workout on Monday.
  • Options
    I made 201 today, but the last set was not pretty. Swimming 7000 yards at
    the pool yesterday probably didn't help me. I'm going to take the next two
    days off and retest Thursday afternoon. I expect to be over 60 on my next
    test.
  • Options

This week, I dropped back to 2 x/week for my body work/weight training, as I ramp up to the OS, along with taking on another day of grandparent duties. I thought, "Great! More rest, I should do better on the push-ups." Wrong. I went backwards, unable to muster the mental wherewithal to do the reps required. So: RESET. I will test again this weekend, and see if I have gained anything from the past few weeks, and then start again at my new level as per the test.

I may also do a rethink on my goal. When I initially envisioned this challenge, I thought of making it "100 push-ups in 5 minutes", allowing for individual sets of say, 4 x 25 with 30 s rest between. Maybe that's all I can do at this stage of life?

• Options

Late to the game as usual. So we have till the end of November? Goal is 100 continuous or sets within a time goal? Not starting quite from zero having done a few months of burpees early this year, for the last few months I have been doing pushups,pullups,planks, squats, and calf raises 3-5 times a week.

For some motivation!

Push ups- Bruce Lee has holds the world-record for push-ups, and not just one type. He could do 1,500 push ups without breaking on two hands, 400 push-ups with one hand, and 200 with two fingers. That's nothing though, check out what he can do on one thumb!

• Options

@tim cronk , @Al Truscott - I'm still going for 100 straight, no time limit, but rest allowed in the up position (which as I tire will look more like a yoga down dog). So far I'm progressing well, but yeah, getting there by the end of Nov will be tough! If need be, I'll extend this to year end to try and get there. When I'm ready for the 100 I'm going to put on an EN tri top, videotape the attempt and post it onto Facebook for accountability. In the end, I'll still be nothing compared to Bruce Lee!

• Options
    When I initially discussed this with Patrick, I envisioned an Oct-Dec timeline, and a time limit of 5' within which 100 push-ups must be done, to encourage as many people as possible. But since only BAMFs have signed up, I guess we set our own rules...

Sent from my iPad
  • Options

LOL I go to log today and I see @Al Truscott did the same wko as me , set the timer and do as many in 5' as I could. Much harder than it sounds. First set 30 , then 20, then 10's which proved rather difficult with the minimal rest required. Completed in 4:55.

• Options

@tim cronk - I did 231 tonight in 8 sets. I give myself about 40 mins total to get it all in. When the workout calls for 5 sets I do them in about 30 mins. For my tests, I do them straight until I drop, but rest in the up position. Retest on Monday ... hope to do 70 or more.

I'm still trying to figure out whether I'm stronger in the morning or the afternoon. I think the morning has the edge.

• Options

I'm continuing with weeks 5 and 6 until we get to Thanksgiving, Week #5 last week, #6 workouts this week. The work is certainly getting easier.

My plan for Thanksgiving would be to try to crank out the 100 in a straight set. I think I can get there over the coming 3 weeks!

• Options
    That's my goal Jeff, but I just don't know. Some days I have it and some
    days it's not there. Tried retesting tonight and my arms were gone. OTOH,
    I swam 7500 yards on Saturday and don't believe I'm recovered. Will
    restest again Tue or Wed.
  • Options

I learned a few weeks ago that the pushup challenge and my lack of swim fitness can't be addressed effectively at the same time. I regret that I will no longer be considered part of the BAMFs in this group. I vow, however, that I will maintain my pullups. Until my swim fitness improves, you can just consider me B.

• Options

@Paul Hough and @Jeff Phillips I dont think I could ever do 100 straight. Yes "resting" in the up position can extend the number quite a bit. I cant ever remember doing more than 70 in my prime many years ago. I can feel the pump entering my body after around 20-25 on the first set.

Separate note. My nephew (22) is visiting down from Mesa AZ where he is working a few months as a traveling nurse. Heather and I used to take him rockclimbing as a little kid, this weekend he took us rockclimbing for our first time in 12 years. So cool experiencing a lil cycle of life. Wow what an eye opener, most notable was how inflexible I have become, and secondly was the lack of grip and forearm strength but that was to be expected. Great full body strength wko.

• Options

Did 70 on my retest tonight ... with about 4 brief stops in the up position. My limiter seems to be my VO2. As I get further into the set, I start to go anaerobic which forces me to stop and catch my breath. And then, my "UP" position ends up being a down dog which gives the shoulders a quick break. Other than that, my form is good. I've never been a fan of people performing short elbow dips and calling it a push-up.

Anyway, I've increased from 40 to 70 so far. That's the easy part. The next 30 is going to be a lot harder. Christmas is a more realistic timeframe for competing this challenge but I'm still going forward.

@tim cronk - forearm and hand strength is an entirely different challenge. I think I'll have to wait for another life to get to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKoYWCdXphQ

• Options

@Paul Hough wow 70 nice. BT=Before Triathlon, rock climbing was my jam, I had and used all the finger/hang boards religiously and trained at indoor rock gyms as well as a small wall I built under my stairs in the basement. Here is a video from 17 years ago climbing Predator 13b in Rumney NH. It took me 6 years to climb at this level and before I even had the balls to get on this route, and then it took in excess of 30 tries, video is the last failed attempt followed by success!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09NuWpuj9Lk

• Options

Add this to the continued stories of bad assery for @tim cronk! Great video, thanks for sharing. I was jokingly wondering why you weren't free climbing it and then found out at 4 min 50 sec in.

I'd expect your 100 push ups to be done on your finger tips? 😂

• Options

Back at it tonight ... 239 push-ups in 9 sets across 35 mins. I hadn't done any since Friday night due to the Treasure Coast Half I did on Sunday. My shoulders and neck were sore from not enough time in the aerobars so I needed Mon and Tue to recover. I've got one more workout before retesting so it will likely be Christmas before I'm ready for the 100 straight.

And yes, @tim cronk is a total stud! But those fingertip and climbing boards are scary stuff and that ain't happening in this lifetime!