Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

Men's Cold Weather Running Briefs

I run outside year round and I'm looking for recommendations any one has regarding Men's cold weather running briefs to keep your privates warm while running outdoors. I do sweat a lot so it tends to get a little chilly down there.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options

Never gave this much thought. I wear the same briefs from Road Runner Sports, year round. I do have two different weight running tights that I wear.

Typically I will be in shorts down to the low 50s

Lightweight tights down to the mid 30s, then my winterfleece tights, i think they are zoots, not sure though, down to whatever. I have been known to go out in single digit weather in VT with the right headgear and heavier gloves (have 4 different ones for various temps)

hope that helps

• Options
    edited November 3, 2020 9:20PM

I know exactly what you mean. I recall a winter run a couple winters ago where I made a bad choice in shorts and was forced to take a glove off and use it to keep other parts warm. LOL. I use 2-n-1 shorts during cold runs. It's like having two layers in that area.

My new favorite cold weather material is merino wool (e.g. SmartWool). I have a couple tops and a beanie, but no bottoms yet. I can use the 250 weight top, one layer, for cold and windy runs and 150 weight for slightly less cold days. It keeps my upper body warm even after I start sweating. This material is great at blocking out the wind too. For really cold days they're great as a base layer. I'm sure their tights are just as good, which will be my next purchase.

• Options

Cold weather running where I live rarely involves temps below freezing, more commonly in the 40s, but wet/rainy.

I second @Derrek Sanks Smart Wool, having used that for my upper body as a second layer. Wool is remarkable both for its ability to retain heat even when wet, and to resist the development of odor! EG, although it comes in lighter-weight versions: https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-merino-250-base-layer-quarter-zip-sw016355?variationId=001 also great for skiing.

For lower limbs, I ALWAYS run in my swim suits - the jammer style, with an inner pocket for my parts, and tight-fitting thigh-length legs. https://www.dolfinswimwear.com/products/141jm-072 Depending on the temp, starting in the low 50s, I will add tights of varying thickness. Once temps get below freezing, I've found Belwether nylon-front tights to work well down to the single digits. https://www.bellwetherclothing.com/collections/tights/products/thermaldress-tight so when I'm running, I'm usually using swim and possibly bike gear which serves double duty, saving $$.

Of course, don't forget full-fingered gloves. We each have unique hands. But at some lower limit (for me it's about 39F), we need to cover our hands. Breathability is key, not bulk.

• Options

Take a look at SportHill Northwind Unders. They have a front panel that blocks wind and a backside that allows for moisture transfer. When you pair that with Fleece tights, they have worked wonders for warmth as well as not being totally soaked even down to low 20's. I run in single digits with these and there XC Supra Pants with great comfort. No, I don't work for Sporthill nor get any credit or compensation, just very pleased with their products. I've had my XC pants for at least 15 years and they have held up just great. They are pricey, but well worth the investment.

• Options

@Gerald Brown Great recommendation on the Northwind Unders. I just bought a pair and they are great! Thank you

• Options

It is important to protect things of value! :-)