Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Andrew Wojcik [TeamEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Virginia Blue Ridge (2020-06-07) #70.3VirginiaBR_20
  • 06/28/2020 Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic Triathlon 
  • 10/04/2020 IM Barcelona   

Your Notes

4 IM's

2016 - Louisvile 13:23:48

2017 - Louisville 13:19:26

2018 - Chattanooga 12:36:17 No Swim 

2019 - Chattanooga - 14:19:03 

2014 - Rev 3 Anderson SC 5:50:17

2015 - Chattonooga - 6:03:36

2015 - Munice - 5:47:06 

2015 - Augusta - 5:29:46 

2015 - Challenge Venice 6:18:28

2016 - Chattanooga 6:02:21

2017 - Santa Rosa 6:04:29

2017 - Augusta Relay 6:07:48 Run 2:06:30 

2018 - Chattanooga - 6:15:22 

2018 - MiamiMan - 6:51:51 - Insertional Achilles 

Olympic 

2014 Peachtree International - 2:23:27 Swim Canceled 

2014 Blalock lake - 3:24:03

2014 Rev 3 Venice - 2:53:07

2015 West Point Lake - 2:41:20

2016 West Point Lake - 2:50:53

2017 West Point Lake - 2:47:20 

2017 Chattanooga Waterfront - 2:42:01 

2017 MiamiMan 2:38:56

2018 West Point Lake - 2:45:55

2018 Chattanooga Waterfront 2:57:58

2019 Chattanooga Waterfront 2:54:25

2019 Nashville Music City Tri - 2:49:56

Sprint 

2014 John Tanner 1:35:20 

I've lost some fitness since doing IM Chattanooga. I had a cortisone shot in my right knee about a 1 1/2 months ago. I've started biking and swimming and started to build up running the last week. 

Per my Othro dr, I've started to weight train to build up the strenght in the right knee. Been doing core and stretching 3 days a week. Want to start biking 3 -4 days a week and running about the same. Swimming once to twice a week. 

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on November 18, 2019

• On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 12/15/2019
  • On 12/16/2019 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 1/12/2020
  • Transition Early
  • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/12/2020
  • On 4/13/2020 Load the    EN Half Run Focused to end on 6/7/2020
  • On 6/8/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 06/21/2020
  • On 6/22/2020 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 10/04/2020
  • On 10/5/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/01/2020

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Hey Andrew,

Your Season Roadmap is all loaded up. I saw that you already sync'd your Garmin and used the perceived effort and injury vitals. Nice work.

We would like to hear more about your knee and how you fee it is progressing. Also, we would like to hear about what would make your season a success and what your limiter is. We will teach you how to be a self-coached athlete - and point you in the right direction with all the videos and forums available to you here.

Below, are some things to do in order to get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, and learn how to race smarter.

For any questions you have getting started, chat with me here in this forum or schedule call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

So, First thing! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us, it documents all of your training and it helps to keep the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See 8 sec video here to set it up: 

Consider downloading the Final Surge app.

To get the most out your training - you need that workout data (DONE!) and the story. Together, they give you (and us) the complete picture of your training. We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete.

The app makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It's super easy to make comments. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Customize your workouts Final Surge

You will do a bike power test (5' max and 20' max effort) and a run test (5k race or time trial) and you will use your 20' nominal power (bike) and average heart rate (for the run) during each test to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2.

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (there is a video here too):

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is the live version of all things Endurance Nation. This is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. The forums are our long-term memory, these chats are the Team right here, right now.  

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

#5 Learn More About Your Plan. Videos! Too easy!

You can watch these videos to get a better understanding of the "why" behind each workout and how they all fit together. Start with these Run Durability -

·        Run Durability Training Plan Guidance (PDF)

·        OutSeason® Run Durability Overview

·        OutSeason® Run Durability Part One

·        OutSeason® Run Durability Part Two

There is another good one that explains the OutSeason and our emphasis on bike intensity during the winter to build fitness and then transition to more volume and racing specificity once the weather gets a bit better.

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx#outseason

Chat with you soon,

Matt

• Options

Andrew said:

"Matt, I moved the training plan to Start on Monday 25 Nov 2019, instead of thsis week. I'm traveling for work and didn't want to start. I'm also doing trainerroad. I think I adjusted the start date for durability Phase 1 but the end date is off when pahse 2 is starting. I also set up a call with you on Wednesday at 3pm."

Andrew,

no problem shifting the start date. That is exactly the kind of thing we want you to get comfortable with - is moving your training around to fit your schedule and doing it in a smart way.

I look forward to our call on Wednesday.

I took your comments from the other thread you created and posted them here.

Keep the rest coming and post here to keep the entire chat in one place. Talk to you soon.

Matt

• Options

@Andrew Wojcik Thanks for the call. It was good to get to know you a little more. Good luck with your work travel. Keep that knee healthy. Update us here when you feel like it.

Here is the link to our race day execution stuff.

There is a 4 Keys to race execution video in there. Its at the top of the page. It's long. But totally worth it. It puts the rest of the guidance in perspective. Start there.

Here is the 12 week out preparation plan:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/MasterRacingPages/MasterENHalfPage.aspx

This link has a 14 week countdown checklist.

Our structured training program will progressively develop your fitness. You will get fitter. Your advantage with Endurance Nation is that we teach race execution better than anyone else. The key to a great race is getting the most out of your fitness through better race day execution. Everyone works hard to show up at the race, not everyone studies race execution. We can teach you to get faster by being smarter and make better decisions on race day.

Chat with you soon,

Matt, EN Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

@Andrew Wojcik Nice job getting it done on the hotel stationary bike! Bonus points. 💪👊

• Options

• Options

@Andrew Wojcik

New Month Two Forum Post & Email (Please put in both locations)

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@Andrew Wojcik Nice work this week! 😀💪 Way to make notes on your strength training. It will be cool to watch your progress across these next few weeks!

• Options

@Andrew Wojcik

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

@Andrew Wojcik

Great to hear from you! 😀 This is what consistency looks like:

I wish all our athletes looked this good. Look at all that green! 😎 With notes and comments too. 💥 It really reflects your discipline and focus on improvement. Looking for a Olympic will be a great intermediate goal and easily incorporated into your build for IM Barcelona. You have made ton of progress this year. Your cruise and crush ride back in Jan was about 125 W average for 1:45. Recently, you just did 140+ for 2:30.

I also reviewed your Season Roadmap and since your HIM was postponed. We don't need to do the HIM race specific block without that race. This will give us a chance to do some more work on the bike. So, I swapped out the next training block to a Bike Specificity block to build more volume in prep for your IM block and the added a IM prep block later in June add a bit more swimming for IM. Don't worry there is still plenty of running. 😂

Check it out and let us know what you think!

P.S. Thanks for filling out our progress survey.

• Options

@Andrew Wojcik I got your email note about the Bike Specificity workouts in Trainer Road. We are working on them and should have something posted by the end of the week. I'll let you know when the get in there!

• Options

@Andrew Wojcik I got your email note about the duration of Sunday's ride. Thanks again. Arrrgh. Good catch. Good call on shortening the ride for this weekend, there is no need to get in that 8 hour ride on the trainer. As we get closer and get to ride outside, that is really a fun ride to explore and reset what you consider a long ride.

• Options

So, First thing! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us, it documents all of your training and it helps to keep the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See 8 sec video here to set it up: 

I replaced both of those rides with another ABP ride.

You can post a question or comment in your Coach Thread here - then you don't have to use this email function.

• Options

Matt

I have no issue with Bike Focus VO2 short from 30 -45 seconds at 150% FTP. Its the VO2 Long for 5 minutes at 120-140% FTP. I just have a hard time keeping at this FTP range for 5 minutes. Should I try to do something like 2 - 3 minutes and back off.

• Options

@Andrew Wojcik Thanks for checking in. I looked at your last few VO2 long workouts and yes we need to make a tweak to the workout. Right now you flame out at about 1' to 1.5' into the interval at the 130%, recover (sort of) and then finish at a sustainable 110% of FTP at around 240W. The goal is to get the minimum recovery between intervals and then drill it again. It takes about 45 seconds to 1' to switch energy systems. Both anaerobic and aerobic energy systems are in play, but under a 1' the dominate energy system is anaerobic and over the 1' it gradually shifts to a dominate aerobic system. That is why you flame out, we need get past that initial 1' and get a good sustained effort across the interval. Your heart rate and effort is excellent, we like all that time at that high heart rate and effort. I also like that your heart rate comes down to a recovery zone for only a few minutes and then we start the next interval. Which, to me, signals that we have the work to rest ratio correct. We need to modify your interval target and execution so you can work on sustained power!

Here is my recomendation. Edit the workout. Dial back the intensity to 110% (240-250 W) Just into Z5. Leave the interval times and recovery alone. You may have to download the workout editor to do that. If I edit the workout it will change for everyone. You should be able to edit the version on your computer.

Also, pacing will be key. Ramp the power up as close as you can to the 110% without over shooting it. Overshooting has a "cost" so keeping it as close as you can to 240 will make you more efficient and work that aerobic system for longer and longer durations.

This long VO2 work will really benefit you. It is exactly what you need to work on.

Try those changes and let us know how it goes.

• Options

Andrew Sent via Final Surge:

Matt , My training plan will be finished this Sunday Nov 1st. It was the Post Ironman 4 weeks. I need a plan to get me to the start of the Outseason. I plan to bike and run the next month but have no events planned right now. I want to work on my run speed and bike endurance for the outseason. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Matt Reply via Final Surge:

Andrew, Great to hear from you! I loaded up your OutSeason training focusing on your run and bike endurance. We will use 2x blocks of run durability to increase your run through frequency. The Balanced plan has a few additional bike workouts that will help you get ready for your OutSeason start in January. The OutSeason will end in April, by then you will be in Half-Marathon run shape and capable of a 2.5-3 hour hard ride. The idea is to get you fitter and set the foundation for whatever event fits your schedule in 2021. Let me know what you think,

Andrew sent via Final Surge:

Matt, What is the best way to contact you. Should I be using the forum site under my threads ? Sorry if I'm using the wrong site. Also I was doing the 100 days of running but I'm starting to have pain in my right outer knee. I need to rest it and not worry about the 100 days. The 2 run durability phase 1 and 2 before the Outseason will be good.

I have Eagleman 70.3 June 13th and Ironman Barcelona Oct 3rd scheduled in 2021. I'll also do some local Olympics April - July.

Matt sent via Final Surge:

Andrew, Either will work. Final Surge or your Coach Thread. I posted all of these emails in your thread so Coach Patrick could see them too.

Good call on backing off. This is an indicator that you might want to look at your mobility routine. Tightness in the hips, hamstrings, or calves can lead to pain in your outer right knee.

Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj2AAH6jbHk

This can be a everyday kind of thing. Think of it as insurance to keep you injury free and part of your run durability.

Let's see how your OutSeason goes. Check back in with us here or in your Coach Thread along the way.

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/285115#Comment_285115

Talk to you soon,

Matt

• Options

Matt

It looks like I have the bug and haven't done a race in 2020. I want to sign up and do HITS Sarasota Jan 10th 2021. I will do the Olympic or half distance event. Should I still be on the Run durability and just add in swimming and up my bike?

• Options

@Andrew Wojcik Sounds great. The bug is strong with you! It's great you might have the opportunity to race. You can add some addition bike and swim to the run durability balanced plans to get ready for the Olympic. If you want to do the Half - we will have to get more sophisticated. With your your big goal races in June and Oct, we want to do the Jan OutSeason start. That sets the basis for your bike fitness. We have some flexibility between now and then to add the additional swim and bike for the Olympic option. What do you think?

• Options

Matt

Let's add the swim and more bike. I can probably get to the pool 2 -3 times a week. I'll focus on the olympic event in Jan. My main focus is still Barcelona Oct 2021. Can I add in the swim or does this need to be added by the coach?

Thanks

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

Your Top Event / Race for the Season is:

• Ironman Barcelona Oct 3 2021

Your Second Event / Race for the Season is:

• Eagleman 70.3 June 13 2021

Your Third Event / Race for the Season is:

• Sarasota HITS Half Jan 2021

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

>> Last updated by Coach on

• On 11/23/2020 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/20/2020 27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 12/21/2020 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/17/2021  27 [  2  weeks  ]
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 1/4/2021  Load the  OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan (14wks) to end on  4/11/2021  97 [  14 weeks  ]
    • On 4/12/2021  Load the  EN Half Bike Focused (12wks)  to end on  6/13/2021  62 [  9  weeks  ]
    • On 6/14/2021  Load the  Post Half Iron Transition Plan All Levels (2wks)  to end on  6/27/2021  13 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 6/15/2021  Load the  Bike Focus Block (6 wks)  to end on  7/26/2021  41 [  6  weeks  ]
    • On 7/13/2021  Load the  EN Full Bike Focused (12wks)  to end on  10/4/2021  83 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 10/5/2021  Load the  Post Ironman Transition Plan All Levels (4wks) to end on  11/1/2021  27 [  4  weeks  ]

Your Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History: X4 ironman

What is Your Focus Level for this Season? Perform My Best at a Big Race

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season: PR Ironman Barcelona

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success? Traveling for work

Anything Else We Should Know?  Multiple Olympics events April - July 2021

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P