Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Heather Helms Official Coach Thread

@Heather Helms

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Hey I was tracking you at worlds, what a difficult course that was. I was watching the splits come through across the board and it was hard to believe that the bike could be that challenging. Clearly it was. Kudos to you for putting the finishing touches on a big season.

What I hear you saying is a desire to have a breakthrough performance on the run, and I agree that you certainly have the potential. For me the big issue is making sure that we reduce the cost of the swim and the bike for you. We do this into particular ways. Given your experience, I would recommend that we have you start swimming when the out season begins in January. The more time you have in the pool, consistently, will have a bigger impact on your ability to handle swim load in the final weeks into swim with minimal minimal physical cost on race day. This is a similar approach for the bike as well where we will make sure to have you in our bike focused out season and full plans heading into the year.

I know you are considering a half before the big race, we can always work that in. In addition to that race, I would encourage you to find some cycling events that will challenge you on the bike to do 100 miles or more. They are generally cheaper and easier to get into, and easier to integrate into your schedule, then "just" a half Ironman. 

Of course, the first order of business is to make sure that you are fully recovered from this year. I have you loading up the a four-week transition plan for post-Ironman. Honestly we need you to have some serious downtime light activity for a couple weeks. You will know you are ready when not exercising his drive you crazy and your body feels 100%. For now enjoy sleeping in, light activity, and life itself. 

Please keep me posted!

Your Races

• Ironman Switzerland (2020-07-12) #IMSwitzerland_20

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on September 12, 2019

• On 9/9/2019  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/6/2019
  • On 10/7/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/3/2019
  • On 11/4/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/1/2019
  • On 12/2/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/29/2019
  • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020
  • On 4/6/2020  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 7/12/2020
  • On 7/13/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/9/2020

Your Notes

I have done 15 Ironmans. My best time has been 11:31 in IMChoo. I have had several IMs now sub 12, but would like to ONE DAY break that 11:00. I have made big gains on my runs. This year I did IMCork - no swim, treacherous and terrifying bike during a storm on a technical course led to an EXTREMELY LOOOOOONG bike ride... but it was my best run so far on the IM with a 3:53. I did IM70.3 in Galveston in 5:00 and qualified for the 70.3 Worlds. I am back of the back swimmer. In the last two years, I have gained some ground on the bike but haven't had a descent test yet to up my FTP from 230. I just completed my race season, which included IM 70.3 Galveston, IM Cork (June 23), and IM 70.3 Worlds. Felt a lot of fatigue during IM 70.3 Worlds.

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

•  What will make you consider this season a success?

•  What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

•  Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

•  Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

•  End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

•  End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

•  Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

•  General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

•  Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

•  Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

•  Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better.

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

Comments

• Options

Hey coach,

I am starting the run durability with the start of November. I took one more month off from structured training.

I have a question about the Ironman plan leading up to Ironman Thun in July. When I was training for Ironman Cork, I used EN's 2018 Advanced Ironman Plan. This plan had the long run on Thursdays and an 80 minute run on Sunday after the standard ABP ride. I REALLY liked this element of the plan. The 10 miles I made it through every Sunday after the hard weekend of training became an anchor for all other long runs... Example: "this is just Sundays 10 miler left." I noticed the new plans don't have this run, and I was wondering if there was a specific reason to NOT include this?? Please share your expertise/advise. Because I am tempted to look back to this 2018 plan but would really like your input.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

• Options

@Heather Helms I work for Coach Patrick - helping team members load plans in Final Surge, sync their data, integrate customized zones using HR / power, and using the app to capture how you felt during the workout. We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete. 

Let me know and I can load your season and give you some tips on the ^^^above.

Matt

• Options

@Heather Helms -- hey there! So great to hear from you. My apologies for taking so long to get back to you with your season updates. One of the consequences of the time we are living in is that I have zero sense of time. But, don't worry, I got you. 👍

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• DEFERRED TO 2021 Ironman Switzerland (2020-07-12) #IMSwitzerland_20   
    • TBD Ironman 70.3 Memphis. October 3, 2020

Your Notes

I was training for Ironman Switzerland, but like many others, it has been postponed until next year. I have completed 15 Ironmans, my fastest times hovering around 11:30. In Ireland last year (no swim), I had my first time to run a sub 4 hour marathon in an Ironman. I would really REALLY like to hit 3:45. I was originally going to use Galveston as a fitness check that has been deferred to Waco now. It would be fun to race the half in the fall, but my goals are all about Switzerland next year. I had completed the outseason and weeks 5-11 of an Ironman plan until my race was officially cancelled. For the last three weeks, I have just been "playing."

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

Last updated by Coach on 05/18/2020

• On 5/18/2020 Load the    Marathon, 16 Weeks to end on 8/9/2020   [ 12 weeks ] 
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 8/10/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 10/4/2020  [ 8 weeks ] 
    • On 10/5/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/18/2020  [ 2 weeks ] 
    • On 10/19/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/15/2020  [ 4 weeks ] 
    • On 11/16/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/13/2020  [ 4 weeks ] 
    • On 12/14/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/10/2021  [ 4 weeks ] 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey Coach P,

I really like this idea! I am up for this challenge, but I want to take you up on your offer to add some riding into this marathon plan. I REALLY like riding my bike, and I have gained some strength that I don't want to lose. How do we change the plan to incorporate some riding? I think I will plan the start date for next Monday while we figure this out!

• Options

@Heather Helms - Deal!! I did to see where your running potential will take you. Before I get too specific about the bike, why don't you tell me which rides you like best. Is it the midweek animal stuff or is it the weekend endurance stuff?

I know with the weather changing it's quite possible that you'll want to spend more time on the weekend outside so I want to line up the training sessions accordingly.

Either way, we will probably start off with a small amount of cycling and then increase it as your adaptation to the run training happens.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options
    I like the ‘midweek animal stuff’ (as you put it) the best. My thinking is endurance is easier of the two to add later! But you are the coach! So here I rely on your expertise. Running with this plan is obviously the focus so I will follow your lead here. Makes sense to me to start small on the riding then grow as body adapts!
  • Options

@Heather Helms - see how you handle the flow of the running plan to begin with. If it makes more sense, we can always swap out an interval run with an interval bike. It's not a one to one exchange, but it will allow you to keep your bike Fitness high with little work and for to some of your running load. This could potentially be something we bring in after a few weeks of run intervals simply for a change of pace.

Keep me updated here with feedback and we can see how things play out. The date it won't really show me where your head is at, so take some time to write up your notes when you can.

• Options

@Heather Helms - Just following up on your monthly feedback for us. Thanks for doing it! 

Here's what you said: 

• Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Building this run fitness, maintaining swim and bike fitness w/o taking away from the run

Extra help request: Feedback! Share your wisdom :)

I'm really impressed with your work so far. You put up Three 40 mile run weeks in a row, which is no small feat considering just how hot it's getting out there. Your animals look good and you're still able to hit multiple sessions consistently. These are all good signs. Sidenote, there may be some point in time in the future where we need to take a day off on the weekend or on Monday just to absorb the work. No shame in doing that.

I'd like you to keep doing to bikes a week, bonus if you can get to the third one but maybe swimming is more fun! Do your best to replace the cross training on Wednesday with a cycling session. But no pressure. Stacking the Run workouts is a top priority, your other fitness isn't going to disappear! 🤣

~ Coach P

• Options

@Heather Helms - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 3

Next month's focus: I am wrapping up the Marathon plan. I would like to keep the run fitness I have gained while transitioning over to some bike fitness now.

Extra help request: The original plan was to go into a half iron bike focused plan after this week of the marathon plan. What kind of transition should I do between the plans? Do I start right in next week? Do I have a down week or a special build week? Thank you for the input!

I know you want to maintain your run fitness, but I have to say that there's so much fun Fitness I don't think you're in any danger of losing it! 🤣 Seriously though, we have to avoid the trap of becoming too attached to a particular piece or mileage. You've done good work, now is the time that we transition a little bit and maintain your fitness but not holding on it. It's kind of like a watched pot...nothing good will happen if you put too much attention into it.

As for transitioning, I recommend a "break" of a week. Unstructured daily training with the chance to do something fun and outdoors on the weekend (long hike? canoeing? zip lining?)...you get the idea. Let me know if you need help with that planning...

~ Coach P

• Options

@Heather Helms I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

I'd like to know what you mean by niggles...want to make sure we are accommodating your goals (and combining for speed) while keeping you longterm healthy...

~ Coach P

Heather Helms is following the EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks.

Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Prep for Galveston 70.3. Try to bring the speed of the three sports together without getting hurt!

Extra help request: The marathon training did maintain bike fitness well. Have had a few ‘niggles’ with the run- not sure if this is from adding the bike piece or not. Just in week 2 of this plan, so I’m not sure what to ask yet!

• Options

The October/November update didn’t post. Not sure why! Well, Galveston 70.3 was cancelled just as I was a few days away from racing. For what it’s worth, I felt like I would be fast :P. I felt like I have done some good work this year. The end game is still a 3:45 at the end of IMSwitzerland in July. Might take a week to play, but what should I do next, Coach?

• Options

@Heather Helms

Coach Patrick got your check-in update and I have pasted it below along with his response. 

This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling that out. 

Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2Next month's focus: Ironman 70.3 Galveston

Extra help request: My end goal is to be able to run a 3:45 at IM Switzerland in July. When you originally set up my fall/winter plan, I was doing Waco instead of Galveston. Now that I am racing Galveston, what should my season look like December on?

I just saw today that Galveston was cancelled. 

I know that you have done a ton of hard work, and I’m sorry that it has come to this. The best thing to do right now is to move on. I recommend changing over to a run durability program from now until January 4. At that time you can start the old season, run focused addition, and we can begin the task of attacking your run protocols for Iron Man Switzerland in July. If you want to talk to me about the transition from 2020 over to 2021, feel free to set up a call with me here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min #teamwork

~ Coach Patrick

• Options

@Heather Helms So great to talk yesterday... Sorry for all the distractions. I have really been struggling professionally to balance being dad and being a business owner simultaneously. Some people make it look easy and I have to admit that I have secretly grown to despise those people. 🤣

IM Switzerland is the race and the goal is sub 3:45 on the run.  Just so you know, here is the results from the last time in 2018.

You have run a half…. 1:32 is a great time (waaaaay better than 1:37!). 🤣 And so you have the infrastructure for a fast run. We need to build the bike up to get you strong. So, the OS focus should be on the bike, but the Full plan will be run focus.

For now through January 4th, we do the Run Durability stuff to spend time at the 8s...just getting comfortable in there and building up some weekly aerobic mileage. Nothing hard...so the easiest 8 you can do.

We should plan for "Big" Aerobic days in May / June / July...these are longer sessions. The volume is targeted, etc., so hopefully you can make these happen.

For the bike stuff, we need to figure out what we are going to do on the course...but I think that the course has changed? What do you know about this? Once we dial that in, we can talk specifics in BestBikeSplit, etc.

~ Patrick

• Options

Happy Thanksgiving, Patrick! No worries about the distractions- completely understandable!

Yea, the course has changed from being in Zurich to being in Thun. There is some video of the new course out there. It’s 8000 ft of climbing... but appears to be rolling instead of any giant climbs. From the video, there is a lot of beautiful sights - so it may be one of those courses where your eyes deceive you on how much you are actually climbing. The course map doesn’t appear overly technical but I think good bike handling could still play a part.

One question that I did want to throw at you- during the last IM race I trained for (Ireland 2019) I entered the IM block at week 5 or 6 , so I had 15 weeks of training. I input two additional “down” weeks in there (so started the plan 17 weeks out). I did one about 5 weeks in (actually right after Galveston 70.3) then one about 5 weeks later. It seemed to help me get through the block without any injury. I was wondering your thoughts about doing this again and if I were, would it be beneficial to scoot everything back 2 weeks or shave it off one of the blocks?

I am excited to do some calculated work this season! Bike focus OS, run focus full, and some large volume days Spring/Summer.

I very much value your knowledge on this! I hope your new puppy hasn’t developed a taste for any more flip flops!

• Options

@Heather Helms - love the learning there from year to year!! Here is the macro outline...

• On 11/25/2019 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/22/2019 28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 12/23/2019 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/19/2020  378 [  54 weeks  ]
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 1/4/2021  Load the  OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan (14wks) to end on  4/11/2021  70 [  10 weeks  ]
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 3/15/2021  Load the  EN Full Prep Plan (4wks)  to end on  4/11/2021  28 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 4/12/2021  Load the  Swim Camp  to end on  4/25/2021  7  [  1  weeks  ]
    • On 4/19/2021  Load the  EN Full Run Focused (12wks) to end on  7/11/2021  84 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 7/12/2021  Load the  Post Ironman Transition Plan All Levels (4wks) to end on  8/8/2021  28 [  4  weeks  ]  </p>

Rest / Down Weeks:

• 3/8-3/14 - rest and test in wk 10 of the OS...note we could do indoor volume here on bike / outside on run as V1
    • 4/12 to 4/18 - swim camp / initial prep break...note 4/10-4/11 is a volume boost weekend as V2
    • Optional break in the last 12 weeks...could be post memorial day weekend (last volume)...but you could do volume in either of the two weeks prior, depends on your schedule!

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

ps I looked at the bike video. I am 95% sure you can eat off that road surface. 😱