Home General Training Discussions
Options

A 2nd PowerTap?

I'm considering a second PowerTap wheel from Wheelbuilder. The reason is I have one on my Cervelo P2 which is totally a triathlon setup (aero bars). Many races in the area (Sprints and others) will not allow the use of aero bars in the races (they say in draft legal races it's too dangerous as you're in too close proximity to other riders). Well, if I want to participate in these races I have to ride either my Cannondale multisport bike or my Trek Madone 5.2. The problem is i have no power. So I'm considering purchasing another PowerTap for my Trek Madone to use in these races where I am not allowed to ride the tri bike with the aero bars. I can't just pop off the aero bars in 5 minutes on the P2 (the gears are on the aero bars) to race these other races. At least that's my thought process.

Anyone else have TWO PowerTaps?

I'm interested to hear any thoughts or suggestions. 

Thanks.

Jay (who is absolutely enjoying riding with POWER!)

Comments

• Options

Not sure I understand your question. Why is the powertap dependant on the aerobars?

I have a PT wheel that I swap between my Cervelo P2C and my Felt road bike all the time. I use the same cassette. It's as easy as swapping the wheel. I have a PT mount on each bike for the computer.

• Options

What Matt said. Cassette swapping isn't that hard. (the second time) Plus, you get to use a chain whip.

• Options

ditto.  You only need to swap cassettes if one bike is 9-speed and the other is 10-speed.  If that's the case, swapping cassettes is easy or if you still want to spend money upgrade the 9-speed bike to 10-speed.

• Options
    Thanks for your inputs. Guess I'm just lazy. I figured swapping the tires would be a PITA all the time. Although it IS a lot cheaper than buying a 2nd PT. I had to swap cassettes once already when I got the new wheel so I already used the chain whip for my first time. So, I'm no longer a "chain whip virgin". ;-) Being as both bikes are 10-speed I won't have to swap out the cassettes. I'll suck it up and swap tires and see how that goes. I'm sure I'll get used to it. After all Matt did. If he can do it I can. :-)
    Thanks again.
  • Options

It's so easy to swap between bikes. Not a problem at all.

• Options
    takes me a couple of minutes max. I usually keep the same cassette.

tom
  • Options
    Posted By Jay Bearden on 22 Nov 2009 10:58 AM

Thanks for your inputs. Guess I'm just lazy. I figured swapping the tires would be a PITA all the time. Although it IS a lot cheaper than buying a 2nd PT. I had to swap cassettes once already when I got the new wheel so I already used the chain whip for my first time. So, I'm no longer a "chain whip virgin". ;-) Being as both bikes are 10-speed I won't have to swap out the cassettes. I'll suck it up and swap tires and see how that goes. I'm sure I'll get used to it. After all Matt did. If he can do it I can. :-)

Thanks again.

Jay,

Is there a reason you must change tires? Changing one wheel from bike A to bike B takes all of 30 seconds at most. The only reason to get a second PT is if you want a racewheel and a training wheel with PT hubs. I change my crankset between bikes as I have the Cinqo. I leave the BB bearings in place on both bikes and just move the crankset. Also, very easy and now I"m not limited by wheel choice for training and racing.

Vince

• Options
    Posted By Vince Hoffart on 23 Nov 2009 08:01 AM
    Posted By Jay Bearden on 22 Nov 2009 10:58 AM

Thanks again.

Jay,

Is there a reason you must change tires? Changing one wheel from bike A to bike B takes all of 30 seconds at most. The only reason to get a second PT is if you want a racewheel and a training wheel with PT hubs. I change my crankset between bikes as I have the Cinqo. I leave the BB bearings in place on both bikes and just move the crankset. Also, very easy and now I"m not limited by wheel choice for training and racing.

Vince

Vince,

No. Wrong choice of words on my part. I should have said change wheels. And, yes, that should be an easy fix. I LOL when I read your reply.  Cool (swapping crankset). I'm a newbie. Guess it's just the idea of swapping gear around. You swapping the crankset between bikes kinda makes my changing wheels seem elementary. Thanks.

Jay

• Options

Jay,

We all start somewhere. You will be an expert in wheel swapping in no time :-).

Vince

• Options

Only diff would be is if your race wheel is a tubular and you want to train on clinchers.  My pt is on a tubular (wired) and I'm considering a wireless pt for clinchers to have both.  It could get expensive training on tubulars unless you ride for a pro team and get the tubulars free.  Anybody train on tubulars and if so where do you buy them?