Home General Training Discussions
Options

Paralles USB to Serial Adapter Goes Missing...

Was loving my ergomo downloads then this AM, I plug in adapter and Parallels won't notice it. Pics up the mouse fine, but not the adapter. Any thoughts? I can't find the driver for the device on line (alcor micro, very old)...

I have fixed this before but am now stumped...

The Chump

Comments

• Options

Have you recently changed your computer (Mac, right?)?

When I changed my operating system from Windows XP to Vista, the USB to serial adapter for my Ergomo data download cable didn't work. I had to get a new one that Vista would recognize.

There is an Ergomo google group where you can search the threads on this topic. Last resort would be to contact JDS Sportcoaching about it---they've been good about all my Ergomo questions so far though I think their services are overpriced. Link:  www.jdssportcoaching.com/shop/inventoryDetail.cfm

• Options

Three thoughts:

1. When I did a standard upgrade of my Parallels verison recently, I was having some hidden USB issues (with the Computrainer). Did this start happening after an upgrade? (Build 4.03848, Oct 14, 2009) Noticed the following -

2. Message box may be appearing in finder, not in virtual machine, asking you to choose between Mac and Virtual Machine for the cable connection.

3. My USB cable is best recognized only in the WIndows desktop, and not so well when I try to plug one in while in an actual program.

• Options

I have used Ergomo with  parallels and Mac for the past 2 years.  Worked fine for 6 months and then couldn't get parallels to recognize the device.  Turned out to be a broken serial to USB cable.  The Ergomo cable is actually pretty fragile and one of the wires was loose (you can unscrew the black end that plugs into the Ergomo computer  and see if all looks good).  I'm was too dumb to figure out what to do to re-attach the broken wire so just got a new cable from the LBS....of course Ergom was still in business at that point in time.  If this is your problem, you may be able to fix the wire or perhaps get a new cable from a source on the Google Ergomo user group.

• Options
    Mark -

what usb to serial adapter do you use? I'll try a new one...
    P
  • Options

Was thinking about this last night.  It was the actual serial cable that broke (the one that goes from Ergomo to the USB adapter and has a black circular deal on one end and the blue-green pin connection on the other...Not really sure if the blue-green piece is on the USB cable or the serial and can't visualize that detail).    I'm using the standard Ergomo issue cables that came with it.  I will get model number etc off of it tonight.

• Options

Patrick,

Checked the cables and there aren't any markings on them.  The serial to USB is a sliver cable with greenish blue USB connector and and greenish blue 9 pin connection on the other end.    Sorry I can't give you anything specific on the model of the cables.

• Options

any former ergomo users who want to part with their usb-to-serial converter and software CD?? image

• Options
    Posted By Patrick McCrann on 26 Nov 2009 08:28 PM

any former ergomo users who want to part with their usb-to-serial converter and software CD??

I've got one---it's the original USB to serial converter (with CD) that came with my Ergomo. I can't use it because it doesn't work with Windows Vista. You can have it! PM me with your address.