Home General Training Discussions
Options

How to store my wetsuit for the winter?

Just realized my wetsuit was hanging in the garage.  I need advice on how to store it for the winter.  I'm bringing it inside, but should I hand it, fold it, lubricate zippers, ect. 

thanks

LouM

Comments

• Options
    There was an e-mail from USAT just this week with a piece of advice I'd never seen before: Don't store your wetsuit on a hangar; the claim is that this will stretch out the shoulders. Instead the article suggested folding it at the waist and lying it flat. I don't know what I think of this advice, but you can read it (and other suggestions for storing a wetsuit) here:

http://www.usatriathlon.org/pages/7879

--Dan M
  • Options

I rinse mine out in the shower, let it dry, fold it up and put it back in the box it came in...box is under the bed.  Suit is 2 years old with no issues other than the fingernail holes I keep repairing!  

• Options
    Posted By Paul Hough on 25 Nov 2009 06:36 PM

I rinse mine out in the shower, let it dry, fold it up and put it back in the box it came in...box is under the bed.  Suit is 2 years old with no issues other than the fingernail holes I keep repairing!  

That's exactly how I store mine.

• Options

Clean by hand, inside out, in the tub, with a gentle soap. 24+ hours to dry, then store with fewest folds possible. For me, I've collected four suits in the past 1 years, still have and use all of them, which are in various stages of shred. My newest, used three times over the past 12 months, lives folded at the waist on a hanger next to my run shirts and bike shirts. It looks like new each time I have brought it back out, not stretched out or anything. The others are folded lengthwise in half, and then folded the other way x 2 to fit into one of those smallish cary bags we get free at WTC events.

Anybody got their eye on the new DeSoto 10 mm suit? Since I already have a Desoto top and bottom, I was thinking of springing for the bottom, relying on their money back promise that it will be faster than anything else. I can't see the value in 10 mm thick arms compared to 2 mm, though. Don't we want to get our forearms down below the surface as easily and swiftly as possible? Seems to me the extra bouyancy would make that harder work.

• Options

I also fold it in thirds, with arms crossed.  I was told by the QR rep years ago to also store it inside out.  I do this and use those plastic sweater bins that go under the bed.

• Options

Thanks for the input.  I washed and let it dry and now its living in my closet in it's original box.

LouM