Home General Training Discussions
Options

Strides

I incorporated 4 x 30" strides in to my run WU today and I think it nuked me out and I was unable to complete the MS at the prescribed intensity.

After 5' easy I ended up doing 4 x 30' (1') strides at 30' - 40' more intense than my Z5/IP (found out by looking at my Garmin file after the run).

I then noticed they're no longer included specifically in the new OS weeks.

Am I going to fast on them or are they not recommended anymore (or neither or both)?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure if they were taken out or not, but I would say it sounds like you were doing them too hard. Think 'comfortably faster than normal, with perfect form.' But there should definitely be no cost to these.

Instead of fast, maybe try this: just do a 30' interval at a regular relaxed running, but totally concentrate on one particular form skill. Walk for 45', then repeat. Gradually - like over weeks - pick up the pace a little, but not to the point of hard exertion.

Love to hear from WSMs on this.
  • Options
    I just focus on perfect form (i.e. body straight, hips forward, foot strike under my body, etc) and I count how many times one foot strikes and stop when I get to 50, which is usually about 30". Some days the pace is my interval pace other days it is TP... I never look at it until after the workout through and just look out of curriousity.
  • Options
    Strides should be comfortable accelerations up to roughly 1 mile race pace. The key is that you should be relaxed and only at speed for 5-10sec with a gradual acceleration and easy deceleration. Be sure to include plenty of easy running or walking between strides as well - you're training neuromuscular coordination, not cardiovascular conditioning.
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers.

I'll go easer, concentrate on form and count my steps.
  • Options
    I use the strides to help me warm up. I pick up the pace a bit and tend to run to the next tree or telephone pole rather than worrying about watching the watch or programming the strides into the workouts. That way I can go as I feel and add or delete strides depending on how I am doing.
  • Options
    Yup- sounds like you are going too fast. They should set you up to have a great MS, not thrash you so that you can't complete it. As has been said, these are gradual accelerations where the focus in on form not speed. Gradually increase your speed focusing on having good solid form. I never bother to look at how fast I did the 30" interval.
  • Options
    Good point.  I say "20 sec" but I've never timed or even bothered to approximate time by counting while doing strides.  I simplyh accelerate and hold steady for a short bit before coasting back down.  In most cases they are so short that my Garmin doesn't even cover the acceleration lag to show a true pace by the time I let off the gas.

Posted By Al Olsen on 07 Dec 2009 10:41 AM

I pick up the pace a bit and tend to run to the next tree or telephone pole rather than worrying about watching the watch or programming the strides into the workouts.

• Options

Totally agree with Al and Nemo.

You live in an area that gets cold, me too. I do strides starting after a few minutes of WU. The colder the weather and my muscles, the more these help. Until I feel like I can move my legs comfortably (usually the 3rd of 4) then I know I am getting closer to being ready for my MS intervals. These really help get my form focused before I go hard.

Good luck.

• Options

So Strides are the kind of the run equivalent of bike spinups (which I completely get).

I promise to do them correctly on Wed.

thanks again!

• Options
    Yeah, similar to spin-ups I guess...quick but not hard.
  • Options
    Any suggestions for those of us who decide that a treadmill is preferable to snowy/icey streets? How do people do them indoors?

Last winter I ended up skipping them for my indoor workouts but this year I'd like to include them and other run form drills.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I've tried them on the treadmill and it doesn't really work. Unless you can program your treadmill to ramp up the speed and bring it back down automatically holding your finger on the controls doesn't mesh well with relaxed natural running form. Even if you can program your treadmill I think it would be a little too structured and controlled.
  • Options
    My treadmill has the 6 preset buttons which makes it a little bit better. It doesn't give me that gradual acceleration/deceleration that everyone talks about, but it allows me to only push one button. So basically they become a quick 30' interval. Maybe not the best use of my time.
  • Options
    I also use the preset buttons on the treadmill and do it as a 30 second interval. I figure it is better than nothing.
  • Options
    It might not be "better than nothing" if you're getting the wrong training stimulus. The nature of strides is that they are paced on feel and form so the specific pace probably varies from day to day and even among a single set. In the case of using a set speed for a set duration you are really doing something more closely approximating interval training, which misses the point of strides.