Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Road trip time! Dallas TX to Paradise CA

Alright folks, I decided this year that I'm not going to fly back to NorCal for Xmas...I'M DRIVING!!!

Afterall, a road trip - especially solo - is good for the soul, correct?  I believe it is.  I haven't done one over 12hrs (Dallas to PCB FL, and Dallas to Louisville KY) since I moved to Dallas from NorCal 7.5 years ago.

I'll probably be leaving Dallas on Wed 12/16 or Thur 12/17, and need to be home in Paradise CA no later than 12/23. That's six days of driving and doing whatever I can with whomever I can.

I'm figuring I'll take the southernly approach, across I-10, through El Paso TX, Phoexix AZ (I want to stop at the infamous trisports store), then into the Los Angeles area (maybe even San Diego - my fave city in the country), before heading up to NorCal on I-5. That's about 1900 miles.

I was planning on bringing my road bike with me, strapped to the top of the car, and get in some biking wherever I could - weather permitting.

I'm open to any ideas that might be out there...start chuckin them my way!

Any ENers along the way that could put me up? ;-)

No, I've never visited the Grand Canyon and I don't think this trip will be best to do that either, as I want to spend several days in that area when I finally do go.

Comments

• Options

You getting anywhere near Livermore, tri-valley?  I can get some EN NorCal peeps to meet up with you, even if it is only for drinks.

Lemme know.

John

• Options

Oh man that Dallas -> El Paso leg is just brutal. If I were you I would take the northern route, head up to rt 40 through Albuquerque and flagstaff especially this time of year. While I agree that the canyon is totally a multi-day thing you can just stop in for a glance. Probably already snowy (and totally worth even a glance).

If you do go el paso take route 10 out to the coast and stop in Joshua Tree for awhile. By far one of the coolest spots in the world. Done the route 8 trip dozens of times (live in phoenix and san diego) and while nice if I was road tripping joshua tree > san diego. You can goto san diego on a plane image

There is _nothing_ between dallas and el paso. Literally nothing. First time in my life I saw 'Exit 92' with no designation of what was at the exit (and it was just a dirt road). Although I did stop at some gas station in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night and encounter what I believe to be the most beautiful woman ever behind the counter. Was moving to Phoenix and was tempted to ask her if she wanted to leave the non-existent town she lived in and move to the city with me LOL

Also once in cali I would do the 101 vs 5. You could do the rt 1 trip but that takes forever.

Fun stuff, love road trips. Bring lots of good music and money for coffee.

-Dave

• Options
    I was born and raised in NorCal until 7.5 years ago (and a 1yr stint in Indy in 95-96), so I am very familiar with Cali, and all her roads, freeways, etc.
    I've done the roadtrip several times between CA and TX, just not lately - one of the reasons I'm doing it again now.

@Dave, I've still not been to Joshua Tree, good suggestion.
    The problem with the Northernly approach is weather, it's already been hammered, and I have a Mustang to drive- no 4x4.
    I love San Diego so much because I spent so much time down there when I was dating a girl. I'd fly down 3 weekends per month, from Oakland/Livermore. That was an expensive girl to date! HAHA

@John, I'll probably be in Livermore after Xmas through New Years. I lived there before I moved out here to TX, and am staying there with some friends for most of the trip. Definitely gotta plan some meet-ups with the sleeper cell.
  • Options

Ya, you told me that you lived in Livermore previously.  Give me a day or two that you will be available and I will see if I can rally the EN NorCal troops.  That's a busy week for many of us so give me the days ASAP.

Looking forward to it.

John

• Options

Here's what I have (tentatively) planned right now...Any more ideas/suggestions?!?

Thu 12/17: Dallas to El Paso, 10hrs.

Fri 12/18: El Paso to Tucson, 5hrs.

Sat 12/19: Tucson to San Diego, 6.5hrs.

-I'd love to get in a bike ride that morning before heading out to SDG. Any ideas for that? Maybe stop at Joshua Tree, depending on how late I get out of Tucson.

Sun 12/20: San Diego.

-Get in some riding and perhaps some beach-front running - and a lot of relaxing (ex, beers at Hotel Del).

Mon 12/21: San Diego to San Francisco, 7.5hrs.

-Perhaps another beach-front run before heading out.

Tue 12/22: San Francisco to Paradise, 4hrs.

• Options

Beers at Hotel Del sounds awesome! When I lived in SD that was a regular stop on my first date with someone.  Beautiful walk around the grounds.

And don't forget the In-N-Out Burger stops.   

Also, SD to SF is 7.5 hrs without traffic in L.A. and from North SD County where I have family.  I haul ass.  From Hotel Del it will be a solid 8.

• Options
    I'm just booking my hotels now. I won't be staying at Del (too much $$ for my blood), but I'll definitely be visiting! I don't mind slumming it a llittle so I can get me some time in SDG. LOVE that city!

Of course I can't forget the In-n-Out stops...one in every town along the way. LOL

Yeah, those are non-traffic times, which is why I thought of shorter legs/trips when I'm in heavy-traffic land that is Cali.
  • Options

Getting into LA on 21st, so will just miss ya!  Thinking about driving up to SanFran for Emerald Bowl.  Best USC could muster this year and game is on 26th.  We head back to ID on 30th!

• Options
    Posted By Bryan Ogle on 11 Dec 2009 11:26 AM

Getting into LA on 21st, so will just miss ya!  Thinking about driving up to SanFran for Emerald Bowl.  Best USC could muster this year and game is on 26th.  We head back to ID on 30th!

Brian:   If you get up to NorCal we HAVE TO hook up!

• Options

Scott,

Depending on the day you leave and time you may be going through Abilene around lunchtime. We have three of the top rated barbecue places in Texas. We could meet for lunch and talk over next years race plans for the "Texas sleeper cell" as I have heard you call it. Let me know.

@Dave, we out here in West Texas like to think that there aren't any pesky trees, mountains, etc., to get in the way of the view.