Home General Training Discussions
Options

Wetsuit?!

My goal this year is Buffalo Springs HIM in june. The race says its waters are 70-74 and wetsuit legal even the year it was something sick liek 115 degrees!

I dont have a wetsuit or alot of extra money to get  a wetsuit. I also have ZERO wetsuit knowledge except that I saw some for 600+ dollars! any information to help me get pointed in teh right direction and some suggestions for a  good non bank breaking starter wetsuit would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Consider renting a suit. Just google wetsuit rental and you'll get several reliable online retailers. You can usually rent for something like $50-75 per week. That's a lot cheaper than buying one, especially if you only need it for one race. Bonus- you get to "try out" the suit before you buy one. I rented a suit from these guys many years ago when I was first getting started before I finally bought my own: http://rentals.tribonzai.com/rentals.aspx
  • Options

I think there are a few things to consider.   The better swimmer you are the less the wetsuit will help you.  So in relatively warm water you may not need one.  If though like many of us you don't have a deep swim background the wet suit will help quit a bite.  For me it gives me 3-4min I would guess in a HIM.  Because of the bouancy of the suit it holds your body level so you are not dragging your legs through the water and slowing yourself down. 

I can't explain why a 400-600hundred dollar suit is better than a cheaper one.  I am sure there are a lot of things like the neoprene, the arms/shoulders,  how well it lets you move.  Having said that.  I got a sleveless ironman wetsuit for 99.00 a coupleof years ago and it works great for me.   Maybe I would be faster in a more expensive wetsuit but I know the one I have is helping quit a bit.    Now is a good time to be getting a wetsuit, there are a lot of sales.  If you will be doing a lot of cold water tri's you will probably not want a sleeveless wetsuit. 

Hope that helps a little.

• Options

Philip,

I have a wetsuit you can have.  I bought a new one last year and my old one is just sitting in my garage.  No holes in it and it is in pretty good shape.  Only thing is I'm a pretty small guy so it might not fit.  I'm 5' 10" but only weigh 135.  The suit is actually a bit short for me.  Let me know if it would work.  Would love to have someone get some use out of it. 

• Options

wow that would be amazing, im not sure how they are sized. I am 5'7 140-145. I guess it would depend on how theyare sized. If its short on you there could be a chance?

• Options
    Posted By Mark Baumli on 14 Dec 2009 06:20 PM

Philip,

I have a wetsuit you can have.  I bought a new one last year and my old one is just sitting in my garage.  No holes in it and it is in pretty good shape.  Only thing is I'm a pretty small guy so it might not fit.  I'm 5' 10" but only weigh 135.  The suit is actually a bit short for me.  Let me know if it would work.  Would love to have someone get some use out of it. 

Ya just gotta love this place!!!

• Options
    well awww, a wetsuit to a new owner how nice!!! great work guyz..... good karma and blessings to those who share, I am just so impressed. made my night, signing off. m
  • Options

Philip,

It might be a bit tight, but worth a shot.... and it'll be out of my garage!....  Send your address etc to baumlim@yahoo.com and I'll get it shipped off.

• Options
    Mark, sent you an email. Thanks a MILLION!
  • Options
    Wet suit will help a ton. That is great that you can borrow one, make sure that it fits. The difference between high and low dollar wet suits is generally in the rubber and construction. The more expensive rubber is thinner, more flexible and more buoyant. If they are legal for the race wear one, one with full sleeves. Full sleeves makes a big difference as well. While it is true that a better swimmer will get less of a benefit than someone who is a poor swimmer, the suit will still help a great swimmer a ton.

I'm buying a water rover this year from DeSoto which is the thickest most floaty one ever built.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses!
    I am still pretty raw swimmer so I hope it can help me more haha.
    I have seen the water rover that thing is nuts! That should be awesome!
  • Options
    Any chance it's legal for me to wear a wetsuit, I'll do it.

I have a full length sleeved blue seventy helix I bought earlier this, which made its debut at Wildflower...LOVED it!