Home General Training Discussions
Options

Powertap (yellow), Joule, Garmin 500, or 705

Just setting up a new bike, and I'll have power for the first time and need to figure out what computer to use with my PT.  Leaning toward the Garmin 500 for the following reasons: 1) can get a good deal on ebay 2) it includes altitude information.  Thoughts?

Comments

• Options

Timely question... check out my thoughts as of about 5 minutes ago:

http://ironmancona.blogspot.com/

I went with the ege 500 and so far so good.

• Options

Matt - just what I wanted to know.  For the price I don't think you could go wrong as long as it works well.  I think that I'll go with the PT rather than the quarq to save myself some money.  Probably get some raceable wheels like flashpoint 60's to use all the time.  I don't think that I would ever buy dedicated race wheels.

• Options

Perhaps another piece of the puzzle (if you will be purchasing/using a PowerTap) is to determine how important TSS/IF/NP information on the fly is to you. If you want to see this data during rides, then you are limited to the iBike or the new Joule. While I am very happy with my bulletproof little yellow computer, I can see the benefit, for me at least, of having TSS/IF/NP on my longer rides.

• Options

FWIW, I've been using the Ergomo for three years with Pnorm, IF, and TSS displayed in real time. I feel it is GREAT information to have in real time, as it creates an evil, evil feedback loop, as you push the watts to push the Pnorm up to push the IF up to push the TSS up. It's also very valuable to feel, taste, and smell an IF or TSS in real time. Really makes the data stand out.

• Options

I will agree with the above for having Pnorm, IF , and TSS in real time.  That is why as soon as my Joule shows up the Garmin 705 I have will be on Ebay.

• Options

I've never used power before, so I can't comment on having IF and TSS rea time, but it sounds good.  The garmin looked good because it had altitude information (which is interesting, but I guess not essential) and the low price.  Does anyone know if you can upload route information from the 500 to trainingpeaks, mapmyride, or similar?

• Options
    Posted By Bob Irwin on 16 Dec 2009 06:59 AM

I've never used power before, so I can't comment on having IF and TSS rea time, but it sounds good.  The garmin looked good because it had altitude information (which is interesting, but I guess not essential) and the low price.  Does anyone know if you can upload route information from the 500 to trainingpeaks, mapmyride, or similar?

You can create and send courses to the edge 500 and add turn by turn directions if you want, however it does not handle routes like the edge 705 as it does not have a base map.

• Options
    When I first got my PT I felt a little handicapped without IF/TSS/NP in real time while all you Ergomo folks talked about it all the time. I can see how that could act as a whip for you on any given ride. But you also sorta learn how much TSS your gonna get out of a ride just by watching your avg and realtime watts- especially if your doing an EN workout. In the end- if you ride along and your doing a perscribed workout- the TSS your gonna get is pretty well defined by that workout anyway.

Where I think it would really help to have IF/TSS/NP in real time is if your doing a lot of group riding so you get the most out of that unstructured ride as possible (and don't spend too much time sucking wheels at the back).

So far, I haven't been able to justify dropping extra $$$ to get that feature from the Joule.