Home General Training Discussions
Options

New guy...

Good morning everyone.  My name is Dan and I've been doing a lot of reading provided to me about EN and decided to give it a try.  I really like the philosophy here and hope that I can incorporate it into my training.  I just wanted to introduce myself and to start getting to know others in the forum.  I'll have a million questions, but I won't pester you with them yet.  Hope you are all warm as it was 10 and snowing outside my house this morning!

Comments

• Options

Welcome, Dan.  Any more info for us?  Past experience, races for next year, goals? 

Looking forward to training with you.

Dave

• Options

Hi Dan!

Ask away. Lots to absorb here, but lots of people willing to help and guide. Get ready to work crazy hard, but smart hard the EN way!

Warm? I wish. Walking the dog at 11 degrees with sustained winds gusting to 30. I was unrecognizable bundled up with only my nose showing. image 

• Options

Hi Dave.  I'm relatively new to the sport.  I did a half IM 3 summers ago after I had rehabbed from a knee injury and the rehab got me into cycling and swimming (I'm a runner) and have a climbing friend who is an IM veteran and talked me into doing a tri.  So I trained for the Musselman and hoped to break 6hrs, and barely did, and was hooked.  Of course my knee died on me again and had to get more surgery.  All went well, still can't run the same but I can do it, signed up for IMLP and did it this past summer... and no I won't give you my time!!! (under 14 anyway, barely again!)  And I just love this stuff.  I've always been a short distance runner my career and have always wanted to do longer stuff.  Well, that's covered now.  My main goal is to try to juggle life and tri's with a family of 4 and still growing by Feb.  I'm scheduled to do the new IM 70.3 in Syracuse this september since it is close to my hometown of Oneonta, ny and the expenses will be low.  Whether or not I'm competing much, I like the lifestyle change and want to stay involved at least once a year.  I'm working on increasing my power to weight ratio this winter, keeping my knee happy, and getting back into the pool in late winter.  I'm basically on the emotion rollers 4-5 times a week with my power tap doing various LT, VO2, and tempo work right now, with limited time due to xmas and my wife getting bigger by the day, I have about 1-1.5 hours for each session and make them all count.  I've given running a break for a few months to the point my knee doesn't hurt when I walk anymore, so I'm itchy to get back out and run.  Problem is the weather and the surface, I don't agree with pavement much anymore, so I'm stuck with a track, and an indoor 200m one to boot!  I have an elliptical in the house, but I understand the rule of specificity, so I'm reluctant to use it, basically because I'm lazy right now!!!  Looking forward to talking to all of you in the future and trading tips and stories along the way.  Thanks

Dan

• Options

Welcome Dan! To EN and to triathlon. Hope your knee heals up quickly! While the elliptical may not be exactly like running, it may be mentally less numbing than pool running.

The Upstate NY sleeper cell grows...I used to live in Cooperstown for 6 years. Lots of nice, rolling country road in Otsego county. Check out Team Tundra Force as I know there's plenty of chilly, snowy days ahead in the Mohawk Valley: http://endurancenation.us.dnnmax.co...fault.aspx

• Options

Small world.  Team Tundra Force sounds cold!  I'll have to check that out, thanks.

• Options

Welcome Dan and Congrats on the baby on the way. Around here it's "pics or it didn't happen". So when the newest member of EN enters the world, we expect a thread dedicated to him/her so we can all oooh and aahh.

Give yourself time to read and get acquianted. Ask away. And be sure to enjoy yourself everyday.

• Options

will do, it will be around February 20th.  Thanks!

• Options
    Hi Dan, and welcome! I am a newbie to EN this year, for my first IM in Lousiville. Everyone has been extremely supportive. You will like it here!
    Barb
  • Options

Welcome.

Hope u have a good pain cave based on where you live!

Don't be afraid to ask questions....lots of new terms, abbrev. thrown around here. You'll never be belittled or put down for any question. We have all been where you now....a newbie to the team!

• Options

Yes, I do have a great pain cave.  The pellet stove doesn't work right now so the basement is pretty cool, maybe mid 50's and combined with a fan, I sweat as much  (or as little compared to inside) as I do outside.  The problem is that I'm running out of movies to watch on my desktop.  Once I browse the site, I'll fire away with questions, I just hate asking questions without doing some research.  Thanks for the hospitality all, its been a nice change from other forums that's for sure.